Hacking Gateway 3DS ULTRA v4.2

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Well the WiiU updated, GW team. Your turn to freeze over hell.

.....*crickets* .....

who am I kidding ;p

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
More like "this thing already works perfectly for me, would changing it actually give me something better?" I don't want to risk updating if the only benefit is something minor "well now you don't need to run CTR-HTTPWN to access eShop!... Until next month. "
It's up to you. The real big disadvantage is when you have an issue and want help troubleshooting anything, you are completely on your own since you aren't using the standard setup. If you're ok with that, then good for you.

Reactions: The Catboy

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More like "this thing already works perfectly for me, would changing it actually give me something better?" I don't want to risk updating if the only benefit is something minor "well now you don't need to run CTR-HTTPWN to access eShop!... Until next month. "
Gateway's CFW still leaves you vulnerable to losing CFW if you accidentally update. Just get B9S, converting gateway cheats to NTR is easier than ever and you still are missing out on a lot. Just try Luma for yourself.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I meant more for my specific case

• You have to use an emuNAND -- So? I haven't had any problems with emunand other than not being able to update
  • If you boot Gateway mode on updated sysNAND your CFW will be erased -- A9LH autoboots me to emunand, and I never install updates anyways, so that doesn't bother me
  • You can't play GBA or DSi games -- I don't play them anyways
  • You can't use game cartridges -- Using Gateway and CIAs is more convenient anyways, less things to carry around
  • You have to stay on a lower firmware because Gateway still doesn't support anything after 11.2 -- Yes this part bothers me a little, but only because of the possibility of new games no longer working
  • Gateway costs money -- I already paid for it, so that's a moot point

I didn't use Gateway's stupid broken FastBoot or whatever they call it, I installed normal A9LH a while ago and set up some sort of Luma chainloader thing to make it autoboot Gateway. it's worked for me with 100% success rate so far.
Luma has more features like what? Anything actually useful enough to warrant giving up the extra 64GB memory card and the excellent cheat feature?
Do you shoulders ever get tired pushing that rock up the hill?
Luma supports the latest everything and thus you don't have to jump through hoops to go online, use future encryptions, future OFW, future improvements to B9S, and of course the ever growing functionalities being adding to Rosalina. Yes you have that lovely cheat engine, but at the cost of staying behind compared to the rest of the community.

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it is broken.
  • You have to use an emuNAND
  • If you boot Gateway mode on updated sysNAND your CFW will be erased
  • You can't play GBA or DSi games
  • You can't use game cartridges
  • You have to stay on a lower firmware because Gateway still doesn't support anything after 11.2
  • Gateway costs money
None of these disadvantages are present for free CFW users.

To clarify a bit:

• No, you don't. Gateway SysNAND on 11.2 works just fine. I haven't used an EmuNAND since A9LH.
  • Use DNS to block updates for beyond 11.2 and again, you're fine. That said, I only chain into Gateway mode when using/searching cheats. Otherwise, I boot default into B9S/Luma.
  • That's why you have B9S/Luma in addition to Gateway.
  • Well...I suppose not, tho that only applies to Gateway mode. I guess there are worse problems to have considering the purpose of the devices, yes? =P
  • Very true, and I'm not sure how much I'd trust them at this point to support beyond that either, despite their constant "verbal updates" on that other forum.
  • Money most of us spent LONG before A9LH was ever a thing. That Gateway still has ANY value whatsoever, in a scene that moves so quickly, is a testament to its longevity, such as it is.

You're right, tho, that CFW users don't have these disadvantages. That said, you can effectively have the best of both worlds with very minimal inconvenience.

Last edited by mrjoshuaco,
Reactions: telon22

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To clarify a bit:

• No, you don't. Gateway SysNAND on 11.2 works just fine. I haven't used an EmuNAND since A9LH.
  • Use DNS to block updates for beyond 11.2 and again, you're fine. That said, I only chain into Gateway mode when using/searching cheats. Otherwise, I boot default into B9S/Luma.
  • Well...I suppose not, tho that only applies to Gateway mode. I guess there are worse problems to have considering the purpose of the devices, yes? =P
  • Very true, and I'm not sure how much I'd trust them at this point to support beyond that either, despite their constant "verbal updates" on that other forum.
  • Money most of us spent LONG before A9LH was ever a thing. That Gateway still has ANY value whatsoever, in a scene that moves so quickly, is a testament to its longevity, such as it is.

You're right, tho, that CFW users don't have these disadvantages. That said, you can effectively have the best of both worlds with very minimal inconvenience.
AFAIK you can't use B9S with Gateway since A9LH uses .bin arm9 payloads and B9S uses .firm FIRM payloads. B9S and A9LH can't be installed together.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
To clarify a bit:

• Well...I suppose not. I guess there are worse problems to have considering the purpose of the devices, yes? =P

You're right, tho, that CFW users don't have these disadvantages. That said, you can effectively the best of both worlds with very minimal inconvenience.
I really won't call what you are doing as "longevity," it's more like life support. The cart's been on it's death bed for months now and users just keep trying to find ways to keep it alive.
Outside the .3DS ROM loading and Cheat function, there's really much that makes the cart worth using.
Well, it is broken.
  • You have to use an emuNAND
  • If you boot Gateway mode on updated sysNAND your CFW will be erased
  • You can't play GBA or DSi games
  • You can't use game cartridges
  • You have to stay on a lower firmware because Gateway still doesn't support anything after 11.2
  • Gateway costs money
None of these disadvantages are present for free CFW users.
These issues right here, they don't effect free CFW users. These are issues that now only effect Gateway users and it's tragic to keep seeing people going through this.

Reactions: Hyoretsu

Hyoretsu

Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You have to use an emuNAND -- So? I haven't had any problems with emunand other than not being able to update
Other than wasting considerable amounts of storage from your microSD to use a useless something that was created to update your 3DS while staying on a lower version and not losing exploits? Nah.
You can't play GBA or DSi games -- I don't play them anyways
And you won't be able to if you want.
You can't use game cartridges -- Using Gateway and CIAs is more convenient anyways, less things to carry around
Using Luma and freeShop/CIAs + DS flashcard is more convenient anyways.
Anything actually useful enough to warrant giving up the extra 64GB memory card and the excellent cheat feature?
You can always buy one single 128GB microSD and put it in your 3DS.

Last edited by Hyoretsu,

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really won't call what you are doing as "longevity," it's more like life support. The cart's been on it's death bed for months now and users just keep trying to find ways to keep it alive.
Outside the .3DS ROM loading and Cheat function, there's really much that makes the cart worth using.

These issues right here, they don't effect free CFW users. These are issues that now only effect Gateway users and it's tragic to keep seeing people going through this.

Look, I'm not advocating anyone go out and purchase a Gateway. For most users, CFW is exactly the right tool for the job. However, if you have one, and you use the functions, I wanted to clarify the points in this thread for the sake of accuracy (we still value that here, correct?). Nothing more, nothing less. I think everyone can agree that we can advocate non-Gateway CFW pretty effectively without the inaccuracies, yes? As for the longevity point, you'll note I added the caveat "such as it is". I agree with you, the card is effectively dead outside the use cases we listed - direct ROM loading and cheat functions, but my point was that the fact that it still works up to 11.2 is better than I'd have expected from a cart released so long ago initially tied to a long since abandoned entry point.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

AFAIK you can't use B9S with Gateway since A9LH uses .bin arm9 payloads and B9S uses .firm FIRM payloads. B9S and A9LH can't be installed together.

Incorrect, you can chainload using bootctr9.firm -> v2gw.bin and it works quite well. See: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-booting-gw-with-b9s-and-some-help.471417/

Last edited by mrjoshuaco,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I do have webos