Hacking Gateway 3DS Firmware v2.0 - New UI and More!

AceLighting

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hope for at least V5.1.0-11 support as it was released before gateway was even officially announced

I've held back keeping it on v5 in hopes it'll be supported rather than needing to get another 3ds

I sent them an email before asking about it and they'd replied a week ago
yes, but we don't know when it will be ready.

Reactions: ferret7463

profi200

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Regarding working on 3ds v5.1 and later - if I recall correctly, the vulnerability is still there, but the exploit payload doesn't work on later versions. This means that they need a new ROP chain to exploit the vulnerability but it is still possible.
Nope, the entry point vulnerability is present on up to 6.3, but ALL known kernelmode vulnerabilities are fixed with 5.X and no new vuln exist currently.

Reactions: d4mation

ßleck

Console Peasant
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As good as this all sounds, I'm still pissed at them for not telling us it wouldn't work with FW 5.x. After hearing the first announcement I thought it was safe to update to 5.x... Now I can't use it and every major update with no higher FW support is making me pissed because I can't use the freaking Gateway. They made a huge mistake not clearing that up from the start.

dalc789

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As good as this all sounds, I'm still pissed at them for not telling us it wouldn't work with FW 5.x. After hearing the first announcement I thought it was safe to update to 5.x... Now I can't use it and every major update with no higher FW support is making me pissed because I can't use the freaking Gateway. They made a huge mistake not clearing that up from the start.
Uhhh, they did tell us it wouldn't work above 4.5

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As far as I know, it's not a glitch, they've purposely disabled online gameplay as it's too risky at the minute.

The 'cart backup' is great, maybe we'll see all the missing roms dumped now.

Seems like a good assumption. However, I emailed the team and they said they are working on fixing the bug. So perhaps it is just a glitch.

ßleck

Console Peasant
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Uhhh, they did tell us it wouldn't work above 4.5

I have followed this whole Gateway thing since it started out as a rumor. There was nothing said about what FW it would work with and people were saying it should work with the latest one at the time (which was 5.x). Then 2 months after the first announcement they updated their site saying it only works with FW 4.5.

Reactions: ferret7463

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have followed this whole Gateway thing since it started out as a rumor. There was nothing said about what FW it would work with and people were saying it should work with the latest one at the time (which was 5.x). Then 2 months after the first announcement they updated their site saying it only works with FW 4.5.

I'm simply gonna wait and see what happens :unsure:

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah I thought that was a bad move on their part as well because 5.x was out in what like late March and they announced Gateway in June? So they had to have known at the time of the first news that they were only 4.5......I was already updated in April and I am guessing a lot of people were, but they should have announced stay on 4.5 immediately. I 'procured' another unit before my Gateway shipped, but if I had pre-ordered and then found out I couldn't use the thing I would have been bummed......

I have exchanged some emails with them as well, and they have been consistent in saying they will get 5.x/6.x working eventually and to not upate....so far they have also been pretty honest about what they can and can not do so I think they have earned some credibility and hopefully they have good reason to believe they can get 5.x/6.x working. I am keeping my XL on 5.1 as long as possible just in case they do get it working but eventually I will have to update one of these units to the latest firmware to be able to use eShop/online/WiiU connectivity and whatever else Nintendo comes up with....no use in having 2 Gateway units in my mind.

Reactions: the_randomizer

elunesgrace

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nope, the entry point vulnerability is present on up to 6.3, but ALL known kernelmode vulnerabilities are fixed with 5.X and no new vuln exist currently.

This is exactly what I've been trying to tell people. The kernelmode vulnerability is the hard part. I don't think people should hold their breath.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Off topic, but I'm just wondering. As the kernel exploit is gone, would it be possible for gateway to use their entry point, to force the 3ds to run the 4.5 update from a game card containing it, forcing the downgrade? Or does that require kernal exploit as well? or is their another roadblock to that?

Gateway seem quite sure they can get the cart working again and they have been supporting it well for now, but of course they could just be saying it so people buy in the hope it works eventually.

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Off topic, but I'm just wondering. As the kernel exploit is gone, would it be possible for gateway to use their entry point, to force the 3ds to run the 4.5 update from a game card containing it, forcing the downgrade? Or does that require kernal exploit as well? or is their another roadblock to that?

Gateway seem quite sure they can get the cart working again and they have been supporting it well for now, but of course they could just be saying it so people buy in the hope it works eventually.
no dont thinks so.
nintendo surly has checksum in the kernel that prevents this.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well, the team has pulled of some pretty crazy stuff already, you never know what crazy cool stuff they're gonna pull of next :P

jurai

Trophies
XP
Country
gonna have to get a Gateway soon, anyone know what version currently shipping 3DS systems are at? Looking to go up to an XL soon but if they're shipping at 5.x / 6.x might search for a non-dinged up used one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 🫂