Hacking Gateway 3DS Firmware v2.0 - New UI and More!

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given the 3DS architecture and hoarsepower I doubt you are ever going to get anything too exteme in a video player....you won't get .mkv and you might get non-hd mp4 but a more likely target would be SD resolution avi/divx playback which wouldn't be all bad. What I think would be cool is if someone made a tool to rip a 3D supporting BlueRay movie down to something you could play on the 3DS using its 3D funciton.....I have been really suprised that Nintendo hasn't hooked up with some form of streaming service that could stream 3D movies to the 3DS. Early on they put out some 3D movie promos on eShop and they looked fabulous....given all the media on IOS and Vita I thought this could have really been an attractive feature for the 3DS to have 3D movies in the palm of your hand without the need for glasses.

I do not understand your reasoning at all. The 3DS certainly has the power to decode high definition video. It just does not have the hardware to display it. Something in 720P would have to be significantly downscaled to display on the 3DS.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I do not understand your reasoning at all. The 3DS certainly has the power to decode high definition video. It just does not have the hardware to display it. Something in 720P would have to be significantly downscaled to display on the 3DS.
Pay attention to words, they're important.
Given the 3DS architecture and hoarsepower I doubt you are ever going to get anything too exteme in a video player....you won't get .mkv and you might get non-hd mp4 but a more likely target would be SD resolution avi/divx playback which wouldn't be all bad. What I think would be cool is if someone made a tool to rip a 3D supporting BlueRay movie down to something you could play on the 3DS using its 3D funciton.....I have been really suprised that Nintendo hasn't hooked up with some form of streaming service that could stream 3D movies to the 3DS. Early on they put out some 3D movie promos on eShop and they looked fabulous....given all the media on IOS and Vita I thought this could have really been an attractive feature for the 3DS to have 3D movies in the palm of your hand without the need for glasses.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
3DS Mode menu, kiddos! itshappening.gif

Huge update, lots of useful functionality. You can expect a flood of ROM dumps when this goes live, including obscure games. Next up, live patching and homebrew. :yay:

I won't lie, this is a good time to get a 3DS, I'll start writing to Santa alredy. :yaynds:

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
3DS Mode menu, kiddos! itshappening.gif

Huge update, lots of useful functionality. You can expect a flood of ROM dumps when this goes live, including obscure games. Next up, live patching and homebrew. :yay:

I won't lie, this is a good time to get a 3DS, I'll start writing to Santa alredy. :yaynds:

what might be nice if if we can get a list of games people have but dont see on the list

Reactions: johnnywalker

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
probably arent releasing info for part 2 of update until pokemon is out in the wild, just to make sure it works properly :)

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
i just realized the Text that came from the team with these pics wasnt posted here

Here is the Gateway's first Sneak Peak of v2.0:

Sorry about the wait since last update.
We are working hard on making Gateway better and better with every built.
And the next one will be a major evolution.
As a quick preview here are some snapshots of what we have been working on to keep you waiting while we finalize this update.
There is more to come, we are saving the best for last.
So stay tuned for part 2 before the finale release 2.0
And thanks to all for your support!

elcravo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok I'm waiting for part 2 to be revealed. If it doesn't contain GW3DS support for FW > 4.5 I'm selling my 3DS and buy a 3DS XL on 4.5.
My 3DS is on 5.1 because I misread the warning on 3Dbrew an thought it was OK to update... Well that's what you get for your own stupidity :lol:

skarthebloodchild

Keep It Old School
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Ok I'm waiting for part 2 to be revealed. If it doesn't contain GW3DS support for FW > 4.5 I'm selling my 3DS and buy a 3DS XL on 4.5.
My 3DS is on 5.1 because I misread the warning on 3Dbrew an thought it was OK to update... Well that's what you get for your own stupidity :lol:
I don't believe that it will soon work on >4.5.

Maybe when a new exploit is found.

_kbnft

Lab Member
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Making us wait? I wasn't expecting anything new to happen. This is great news for the future of gateway. :toot:

edit: The NAND backup is nice, but useless if we accidently update our ds to the latest firmware because gateway doesnt work.But maybe Ill use it for infinite streetpasses or something.

I hope the last reveal would be a multi rom loader/support for memory card partition.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Damn, Gateway team aint messing around.

Nand backup is a nice feature. Means everyone can backup and at least have a fall back if they accidentally update.

Is that what it is? :O but dount you need to hack a console first so you can backup NAND or eve access it??

Yeah me too, but hope dies last :lol:

Hope not, humans yes.

I hope nintendo doesnt do something about it... -_- they are boring...

idane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Regarding working on 3ds v5.1 and later - if I recall correctly, the vulnerability is still there, but the exploit payload doesn't work on later versions. This means that they need a new ROP chain to exploit the vulnerability but it is still possible.

There are a few possible announcement they might be saving that some might consider "big":
  1. Animal crossing support - would make a lot of owners happy, though wouldn't generate a whole bunch of new sales.
  2. multi-rom per sd card - would make all owners happy, might generate a small number of sales to people who held back because of this.
  3. online support - would make a lot of people happy, though this is something that Nintendo can easily block, meaning that I wouldn't consider it big unless they found some way to fool nintendo permanently.
  4. big homebrew surge - If they release documentation or even some emulators and such, that would be pretty big.
  5. New FW support - This is the big one, the one that can generate big money. I'd wager that if they give us support for up to 6.2, they'd at the very least double the number of devices sold to date.
Basically, the announcement would likely either be regarding homebrew, new FW or multi-rom support. I'd personally prefer FW support, as I'm stuck on 5.1. Maybe they'll pull a rabbit out of their hat and give us all of them :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao Xbox removed gamescript apparently