Gary Bowser, of Team Xecuter infamy, has been released from jail

hadsujkjjkjkjkjkjkjj.png

The latest update to the ongoing Gary Bowser situation is a rather major one. After being extradited and arrested, the Team Xecuter member was slapped with a $10 million dollar fine, and then taken to trial, where he was sentenced to over 3 years in prison. Bowser, also known online as GaryOPA, was set to serve his 40-month sentence in a US federal prison, but he and his lawyer argued for an early release. As of March 28th, Bowser has indeed been released from prison, though he is still at a detention facility, where he is awaiting transport back to Canada.

A video interview with Bowser offers some insight as to his experiences, including the fact that he has had no contact with any of the other TX members who have evaded capture. Despite having to pay a $10 million fine as a result of a civil suit, on top of another $4.5 million fine for circumventing devices illegally, Bowser has worked while in prison, earning enough to pay $175.00 of that 14,500,000.00 total. As a consequence, any job that Bowser gets after getting back to Canada will garnish his wages and send them to Nintendo, to the tune of about a third of his income, likely for the rest of his life.

:arrow: Source

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with you.

It is pretty stupid how they decided to charge customers for access to their software/hardware but it appears people are charging "donations" to access servers to download games directly to the switch. I never supported them and never would. That kind of stuff should be open source and free of charge.
don't forget about Trueblue among other things. Hell, there were plenty people pissed about PS3 hacks like what was it called Cobra or something. But Trueblue overall was blatant. Had I reviewed that garbage, I probably would've ended up in a mess of trouble.

Reactions: White_Raven_X

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
SXOS itself is built on top of Atmosphere, which violates Atmosphere's licence since it's closed source and for profit. Knowing what I know about how TX operated I'm not convinced the heads knew about that though. They were very hands off with the developers and didn't ask too many questions as long as the end product did as was asked. In some cases they didn't even have the source code to the software they had paid to have made. They (the guys in charge) were actively trying to make friends with the open source people and I think they probably would have compensated Scires if they were able after finding out that the SXOS devs had taken his code, but there's no way in hell Scires would ever take money from TX anyway.

AFAIK SXOS was the only SX software with stolen code, since each tool was made by a different freelance dev and most of them just built stuff from scratch. TX actually funded some non SX homebrew too by providing developers with free hardware and paying for devs to have their consoles fixed if they accidentally broke them. Not that any of that justifies stealing Atmosphere's code but it's not as black and white as some people would have you believe. The stolen code in SXOS was a case of one bad developer doing something without the guys above being aware. For the most part TX wanted everyone to succeed because a thriving open source community drives more people to buy their products since you need TX hardware to run open source homebrew on post-2018 Switches anyway.

Edit: Also, anyone remember the 2018 Switch Homebrew Bounty? TX made a generous donation to that too to fuel the open source scene. Unfortunately I don't think GBATemp actually paid out to the devs after the third round of winners was announced haha. https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-homebrew-bounty-2018-switch-edition.518654/

He was living in the Dominican Republic before specifically because of the extradition laws. Didn't seem to help because they extradited him anyway.
Thanks a lot for your explanation, I realize I really had 0 clue about how SX works, I thought the people running it were devs

It is pretty stupid how they decided to charge customers for access to their software/hardware but it appears people are charging "donations" to access servers to download games directly to the switch. I never supported them and never would. That kind of stuff should be open source and free of charge.
They charge donations because the free options were way too hard to maintain. The only way to donate is to give an eshop code or dlc that isn't dumped yet and then you get access to multiple shops that are all linked to the donation you did.
Honestly I would have liked to donate to have access but I can't even get a code to buy so I can't even get access.
So really it isn't about people getting greedy or something, most don't accept any money donation (not to say any because I haven't seen any for now, but I guess that those might exist that wouldn't be a surprise)

SoulOfGazza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
One down One to go

Nothing to see here move along now

Won't be long now Max told you ripping me off would be the worst thing for you all

CaliousKai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All i can say is hahahahaha and serves him right! Good for nintendo.
Granted i can see the players that support this crook being happy but personally I support developers not steal games for free.

if users have money to buy a modchip they can afford the games no excuse!

Last edited by CaliousKai,
  • Angry
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All i can say is hahahahaha and serves him right! Good for nintendo
No one cares about you being a corporate bootlicker.

don't forget about Trueblue among other things. Hell, there were plenty people pissed about PS3 hacks like what was it called Cobra or something. But Trueblue overall was blatant. Had I reviewed that garbage, I probably would've ended up in a mess of trouble.
What a mess that was, when you can do all of this for free.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God damn, 25% if your income for the rest of your life? Nintendo better make sure this guy never buys a gun, because I wouldn't be shocked if he gets revenge on NOA HQ in Washington.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
God damn, 25% if your income for the rest of your life? Nintendo better make sure this guy never buys a gun, because I wouldn't be shocked if he gets revenge on NOA HQ in Washington.
Let that thought sink in. Imagine he be raiding NOA HQ and opening fire on the employees. What a shit show that would be, amirite. :D

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
All i can say is hahahahaha and serves him right! Good for nintendo
“Play stupid games, win stupid prizes”… but this doesn’t really do anything in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: SylverReZ

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
He served his sentence (rightly so), so now he's free. I hope he can realize some b&b in the Dominican Republic and make a nice podcast of his life and play some nice games there. I do think gbatemp became a lot less toxic after the demise of sx, there was a lot of polarization.

CaliousKai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He served his sentence (rightly so), so now he's free. I hope he can realize some b&b in the Dominican Republic and make a nice podcast of his life and play some nice games there. I do think gbatemp became a lot less toxic after the demise of sx, there was a lot of polarization.
highly unlikaly being perfectly honest he'll be back in there again sooner or later and the only modding he wil do it to his ass from a buff guy called chuck.
Post automatically merged:

The virgin bootlicker VS the chad boot connoisseur.

Really Veho THAT'S you're comeback to supporting a crook? excuse me while I laugh at your poor attempt at trying to rile me up.

Last edited by CaliousKai,

White_Raven_X

Hack everything, hack the world!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I honestly thought the engineering of the hardware was great... But the issue was the charging people for the license to use the already sold hardware... That's what got him.

CaliousKai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i can sympathise if it's a dead system but modding a currently active suystem is basically puting a giant target on your back and saying "fuck you devs i'll play your hard work but i dont want to pay for your hard work when i can pay either a few dollars,gbp etc and get acess to everything" so yeah hence why some people play legit and other well prefer to support piracy. I get it i persoanally want a virtual console, themes and better folder managment like the 3ds and actual music on the eshop! Even the wii u had music but does the switch nope. Its also the reason i play the wii , wii u and 3ds over the switch

RexSonic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i can sympathise if it's a dead system but modding a currently active suystem is basically puting a giant target on your back and saying "fuck you devs i'll play your hard work but i dont want to pay for your hard work when i can pay either a few dollars,gbp etc and get acess to everything" so yeah hence why some people play legit and other well prefer to support piracy. I get it i persoanally want a virtual console, themes and better folder managment like the 3ds and actual music on the eshop! Even the wii u had music but does the switch nope. Its also the reason i play the wii , wii u and 3ds over the switch
🥾

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work