clegion

OP
Trophies
Website
cfatalis.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, This is my first time on buying a new gaming mouse, and I cannot decide between a couple of mice choice. I wonder if anyone can reccomend to me a gaming mouse that is not a razer product? I am currently looking at the Rat series or the Logitech g9

Thanks

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i am using the Logitech G500 and it's pretty much does what it needs to do for me .
all the buttons are programmable and can be switched around , there's a macro manager that records macros for me and i can assign it to any button, there's a 2 function scroll wheel [friction-less or click] and there are adjustable weights [though i don't feel much benefit coming out of it . i added the maximum weights once which was 27g and i didn't really feel a different to be honest] .

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
AlanJohn said:
That's not a freakin' mouse, that's a "SpeedPad". I've got one, and it's designed for use with the left hand. It's basically a keyboard, only with much less keys - best used for MMORPGs and RTS games.

I actually looked for a new gaming mouse over the last few days to replace the MS Sidewinder X5 that my brother stole off me. In the end, I went with an MS Sidewinder X8.
Other mice I looked at: Gigabyte M6980, Sharkoon FireGlider, CoolerMaster CM Storm Inferno, and the Razer DeathAdder ReSpawn. There are some other great mice, but they tend to cost £60+ where as the selection I looked at was between £20-40.

Important things to look for in a gaming mouse: ergonomics (grip, shape, weight), functionality (buttons, scroll wheel), cable (braided, non-braided, wireless) and sensitivity (DPI settings).

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
moose3 said:
I've been quite happy with my logitech MX 518. Adjustable DPI, 2 extra buttons.

QFT. It's a very popular mouse and I think it only costs 25 dollars or so. I like it alot. And the 2 extra buttons are a godsend for shooters like CoD. I use it all the time, one for the flashbang and one for the melee attack. Works superb.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lolcat said:
You can always get this http://cyborggaming.com/prod/rat7.htm

EDIT: Oh well, he already suggested it himself

QUOTE(clegion @ Aug 2 2011, 01:26 AM) Yeah In the end I have ordered a Rat 7, Since the receiver of the Rat 9 look huge
ahhhh If only RAT/Cyborg would make a bluetooth mouse...

Whats the major difference between the Rat7 and Rat9, just the wireless? And, are they good mice?

Not to hijack OP, but I've been looking too. I am coming away from a Logitech Wireless MX Revolution, which is like jesus in plastic, but mine is breaking. And this mouse looks very promising (the rat). My best friend has the razer Naga, which is nice but not very ergonomic (despite saying it is). The thing feels way awkward to me.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
+1 for Logitech G500. You can adjust its weights and DPI, great mouse. It would have been the replacement for a wireless mouse for my gaming needs but I'm a woman and it's a little too big for me, so I decided to get a Razer Naga and give the G500 to someone else. But the G500 is still quite a cost savings if small hands isn't a problem that effects you.

clegion

OP
Trophies
Website
cfatalis.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
DarkWay said:
I'm also trying to get my hands on a Rat7 trouble is just finding one cheap enough!
It's currently 79 bucks in amazon Amazon Rat 7
and it has free shipping if you are in the US i gues
@ plasma dragon007
Yes the only difference is that Rat 7 is wired and the Rat is wired , and I will post back once I receive the mouse, should be on the 5th I guess

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
After figuring doing the fixing switches and wires routine on my old mouse for about the tenth time was going to be a chore I went for a rat3 the other week (surprisingly few real world shops carry decent mice it seems). Took a little while to get used to (for reference I tend to fix computers so I have been known to use upwards of 20 new to me mice a week of wildly varying design so be aware of that) although that might have been more to do with the forward/back buttons being reversed compared to my old mouse but once I did I got to really like it.

Normally I shy away from "gaming grade" stuff* (for reference I do large sweeping motions and precision work at speed on multiple fairly large monitors at vertical resolutions in the low 1000 ranges) and indeed if the price was not in line with decent mice otherwise I would not have gone for this but this one works for me.

*the sales patter and "features" evoke very similar reactions to audiophiles in my head-
weights- because small chunks of denser metals are hard to come by?
DPI- once you have a mouse side DPI switch kick the rest to your OS and maybe the odd program on top of that.
adustable size- because small gel pads do not exist?

The only thing I regret is that it saw me install drivers for a mouse for no real reason.

clegion

OP
Trophies
Website
cfatalis.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
The DPI switch button was a large selling point to me, too, I also travel alot and cannot bring Gel pads everywhere, I don't really like them either, so yeah I will probably review the mouse when it got here

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As someone who doesn't game that much (Outside of Emulators and whatnot), I can't really suggest a specific mouse for such a purpose.

The most I can suggest is a brand. I'm partial myself to Logitech, I've used them for as long as I can remember, they last ****ing forever (Still have a wireless one that works after 5 years now), they have great customer support, basically they're great in every way you could imagine.

I'd go with Logitech personally, but that's just me. I cant really suggest any specific Gaming mouse as I've never had to use one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!