Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

Eskuero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is your R4 card up-to-date?

Is not an R4 so far, but it's updated, I don't think is a matter of the card.

I have been getting a bunch of reports with saving not working properly. I'm not updating this atm, for now, all I can suggest is turning autosaving off and seeing if that helps. When autosaving is off, your save data will be backed up to the SD card when you select the "exit" option.

As for save states, they should be working fine, except for one bug where when you select a border, the save states are stored in the wrong directory. This should be fixed in my latest build link, but if you need to work around this, you can just exit & reload the rom after opening it.

Will try that and report asap, thanks :=)

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I have been getting a bunch of reports with saving not working properly. I'm not updating this atm, for now, all I can suggest is turning autosaving off and seeing if that helps. When autosaving is off, your save data will be backed up to the SD card when you select the "exit" option.

As for save states, they should be working fine, except for one bug where when you select a border, the save states are stored in the wrong directory. This should be fixed in my latest build link, but if you need to work around this, you can just exit & reload the rom after opening it.

are you still updating gameyob (for ds)? at which frequency +\- ?

Reactions: Margen67

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not updating it now, I'm afraid, but some kind of final stability release for gameyob is in the back of my mind of things to do... no eta whatsoever on that, though.

It seems near perfect on my end. A final update that wraps it up would be great, but the work you've already done is great and enjoyable.

drenco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, it's the best way. Unrelated: where did you get your DStwo?

Luckily ordered an R4i Gold delivered setup then noticed some guy on another forum casually mentioning he had a DSTWO for sale sitting in his draw unused in a general 3DS thread bagged it for £16 delivered figured it must be worth it as i knew about its reputation. Out of interest are there any decent Snes emulators for either the DSTWO or NDS ?

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Dreen, I can help to improve gameyob nds, especially to improve the compatibility of Wario Land 3 with gameyob?

i seen you post the same thing over and over again. and i seen you asking about wario land again.
most of your post are just "emulators sucks cuz can't play games at 100%, i want people to make a perfect emulator"

want to play wario land at 100% get a REAL GAME BOY AND A REAL GAME CARD. (or a GBC flashcart. but i can't guarantee a flashcart is 100% like you ask)

gameyob is open source, IF YOU WANT TO MAKE PERFECT EMULATOR, CLICK HERE AND MAKE IT!

you told you want to help, right? just use the damn source code, change it and then ask drenn about your changes or make your own version of it.

PS: i finished warioland 3 (and 2) on gameyob, it works fine, the emulator is great. there is that little issue you spoke before (which also happents to me), but i already given you a solution....

TL;RD feel free to modify gameyob because its open source (thank you drenn); warioland works fine.

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how to program anything for the emulator, but I wanted to ask a question.

Would it be possible to program the emulator to redirect anything involving an in-game clock to the DS's built-in clock function? I was trying to play the Pokemon Crystal - Emu Edition hack and realized that because the emulator can't deal with the cart's built-in clock, the time-of-day is all screwed up. I don't mind playing the game with the hour randomized, but I was curious if doing something like this to fix it would be plausible.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know how to program anything for the emulator, but I wanted to ask a question.

Would it be possible to program the emulator to redirect anything involving an in-game clock to the DS's built-in clock function? I was trying to play the Pokemon Crystal - Emu Edition hack and realized that because the emulator can't deal with the cart's built-in clock, the time-of-day is all screwed up. I don't mind playing the game with the hour randomized, but I was curious if doing something like this to fix it would be plausible.

RTC is supposed to be working as you said, idk why the time of day would be screwed up. One problem is that if you transferred a save file from another emulator, the time of day won't be recognized correctly. Other than that though, it's supposed to be working. :/

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Drenn

i tried to play "the pagemaster"2 things happen..
the intros (and menu) are not in timing (it looks overclocked or something)
and
if i choose SGB mode, (its a game that enables color on sgb)) the colour gets messed up.. like half of the screen with a colour..
you can notice the menu being purple with half a word on antoher colour

i had some problems with computer emulators IIRC in this game..

even tried with GBC bios but there is no change

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I decided to see if I could replicate the save issue that some people seem to have. I tried different Micro SD cards and different formats. I set up a 2GB Micro SD with FAT16 and now GameYob won't save properly at all. It writes a corrupt or empty save over my old saves and new ones are corrupt or empty as well. I'm guessing it's just an issue it has with FAT16.

Reactions: Drenn

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I decided to see if I could replicate the save issue that some people seem to have. I tried different Micro SD cards and different formats. I set up a 2GB Micro SD with FAT16 and now GameYob won't save properly at all. It writes a corrupt or empty save over my old saves and new ones are corrupt or empty as well. I'm guessing it's just an issue it has with FAT16.

I see. When I implemented the autosaving feature I may have made certain assumptions about how the filesystem would be laid out, which are incorrect for FAT16. Thanks. :)

Reactions: TecXero

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China

i will test this with a 1 gb or even 2 gb card i have spare.

which flashcart are you using?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. When I implemented the autosaving feature I may have made certain assumptions about how the filesystem would be laid out, which are incorrect for FAT16. Thanks. :)

No problem, glad I could help.

EDIT: Oh, just to add a bit more detail, since the Micro SD was 2GB, I could only test it formatted to FAT16 with a cluster size of 64KB.
i will test this with a 1 gb or even 2 gb card i have spare.

which flashcart are you using?
R4i Gold 3DS (RTS) WOOD R4 V1.64 and all my Micro SD cards are Sandisk. I've tested it with the same card formatted as FAT32 and GameYob saved just fine.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
No problem, glad I could help.

EDIT: Oh, just to add a bit more detail, since the Micro SD was 2GB, I could only test it formatted to FAT16 with a cluster size of 64KB.

R4i Gold 3DS (RTS) WOOD R4 V1.64 and all my Micro SD cards are Sandisk. I've tested it with the same card formatted as FAT32 and GameYob saved just fine.

tested on dstwo game was oracle of ages, kingston 1gb card, it works fine

can you tell me the games you tested?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tested on dstwo game was oracle of ages, kingston 1gb card, it works fine

can you tell me the games you tested?
Was it formatted to FAT16?
I wonder if the cluster size has anything to do with it. Since mine is 2GB, I could only test it with the cluster size of 64KB. I initially tested Kirby's Dream Land 2, LoZOoA, LoZOoS, LoZLA, Shantae, and Wario Land II.

EDIT: I decided to just make a smaller 1GB partition to test smaller cluster sizes. I even used the 1GB Micro SD card from my EZ4 Flashcart. Even with smaller cluster sizes under FAT16, it would not save properly. All of these are Sandisk, so it could be a combination of the two.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.