Homebrew GameYob 3DS - GB/C emu

Jwiz33

Banned
Trophies
in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
Website
iwillcleanyourbasement.webstarts.com
XP
Country
United States
how do i do this as i dont have an GameYob or Gateway or anything for that matter - someone help me? :) i do have old 3DS and firmware hasn't been update for a while, so give me step by step so i know what to do (easy steps as i can get confused quite quickly)

regards
Danbowler300
Gameyob is just a Gameboy emulator. It isn't a cfw or anything. First of all,go to system setting and check the firmware in the bottom right, to see if your console is exploitable. If it is 9.2.0-20 or lower, than you can use Gateway\whatever cfw.

Reactions: radrom

vladagaja24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
On the last version on 3DS, although new scaling 125% and 150% is working, it doesn't go and scale with aspect ratio and full screen when you use Zr button for some reason, it just circles original scale ,125% and 150% scale. It would be nice if it would go through all the scales when you use Zr button as well.

Also it would be great if you could add more options in Button Mapping, like circling through colorizing gb, changing top and bottom screen, Scale filter etc.

Last edited by vladagaja24,

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Minor update, the black screen issue when resuming from the home screen has been fixed.

Also, I'm thinking about trying to do some more updates to GameYob, so if anyone wants to compile a quick list of feature requests and bugs to fix, that'd be very convenient for me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms1kes4jhrb3meg/gameyob.zip?dl=0
Minor update, the black screen issue when resuming from the home screen has been fixed.

Also, I'm thinking about trying to do some more updates to GameYob, so if anyone wants to compile a quick list of feature requests and bugs to fix, that'd be very convenient for me.

A sound crackling fix would complete the emulator for good :P

Thank you for all the work you've done :grog:

the_muteKi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't mind seeing Super GB borders make a return. They're a minor improvement (I like the way the scaling's been implemented quite a bit, after all) but I still think they look pretty nice, especially for games that only have Super GB enhancements like Space Invaders and Donkey Kong.

Reactions: reprep

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I can detect GBA in GameYob, awesome. Makes the whole copy to PC step skippable.

Still need a way to switch the save progress between GameYob and VC.

I would stop using the VC version as GameYob is pretty much superior in every way other than perfect sound quality.
the GBA detection mode,Multiple savestates,hassle-free SD card save support (using SAV files), and HQ2X Filter made me switch over and delete all my VC GBC games.

the_muteKi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a 'completely unlikely thing to happen but that I would like to see' I realized I'd also like to see some way of implementing SNES-enhanced sound on the handful of SGB games that supported it (i.e., Animaniacs, Donkey Kong for the "Help!" voice). Mostly unnecessary, doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the games for which it runs, would be hard to implement I'm sure, so I'm not holding my breath, but as long as you're making a list...

Jim_e

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so if anyone wants to compile a quick list of feature requests and bugs to fix, that'd be very convenient for me.
Maybe variable frame rate control, So if games are hard flip on slow mo, or if they have tedious animations then speed them up. Duck Tales still pwns me sometimes.

Also I forked more options for scaling, that might be worth adding in.

D

Deleted User

Wouldn't mind seeing Super GB borders make a return. They're a minor improvement (I like the way the scaling's been implemented quite a bit, after all) but I still think they look pretty nice, especially for games that only have Super GB enhancements like Space Invaders and Donkey Kong.
As much as I'd like to add this in, I have next to no idea about how the SGB borders work.
As a 'completely unlikely thing to happen but that I would like to see' I realized I'd also like to see some way of implementing SNES-enhanced sound on the handful of SGB games that supported it (i.e., Animaniacs, Donkey Kong for the "Help!" voice). Mostly unnecessary, doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the games for which it runs, would be hard to implement I'm sure, so I'm not holding my breath, but as long as you're making a list...
This is also, as you said, highly unlikely, as it would likely require emulating the whole SNES sound chip on top of everything else.
Maybe variable frame rate control, So if games are hard flip on slow mo, or if they have tedious animations then speed them up. Duck Tales still pwns me sometimes.

Also I forked more options for scaling, that might be worth adding in.
I could add a setting for skipping a variable amount of frames when fast-forwarding.

Also, I'll take a look at your scaling options.

tatundria

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Nearest scale filter is not looking good compared to the ds version of gameyob. Maybe you can make it look better?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nearest scale filter is not looking good compared to the ds version of gameyob. Maybe you can make it look better?

why use nearest for scaling. The reason the DS version looks better is that the 3DS scales DS games using it's own scaling. meaning it goes | nearest -> 3ds scaling -> the screen
the 3ds version goes | nearest -> the screen

I use HQ2X as I think it looks the best out of all the scalers.

D

Deleted User

Yeah half of this is implemented already. Shouldn't be too difficult to actually display it to the screen. I might do it if steve doesn't get around to it.
Help would certainly be welcome. I've tried to find my way around SGB graphics before with little success.

I've implemented the suggested 125% scaling, 150% scaling, and fast forward frame skip options. With frame skip set to 3, I'm able to get over 200 FPS when fast forwarding Pokemon TCG.

Jim_e

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nearest scaling is done by the GPU. I can't really change how it looks.
Tatundria was the one who requested the 125% scaling, I assume he is referring to the difference from our builds. Should be fixed with your latest build.

I wouldn't mind helping out if there are any features you don't have preference implementing.

D

Deleted User

Tatundria was the one who requested the 125% scaling, I assume he is referring to the difference from our builds. Should be fixed with your latest build.

I wouldn't mind helping out if there are any features you don't have preference implementing.
It's mainly just emulator internals that I have occasional trouble with, like figuring out why a game is broken or, as I mentioned, adding SGB border support. I'm capable of doing most front-end stuff, and I have succeeded with some internal changes, like replacing the sound emulation code with Gb_Snd_Emu, adding additional mapper support, and fixing small game bugs here and there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1