GameStop will be closing down over 300 of its stores this year

images.jpg

GameStop sure has managed to grab headlines lately--with their adamant stance of being labeled as an essential business, and the eventual backing down as they closed their doors days following the launch of two major game releases: Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing: New Horizons--now the brick and mortar retailer has yet another announcement to make. GameStop will permanently be closing down over 300 locations this year. A quarterly earnings report showed that the company actually managed to turn a profit this quarter, to the tune of $21 million, even though overall sales were down compared to the same timeframe in 2019. Overall, for the entire fiscal year, GameStop lost $187.7 million. This has led executives to the decision to "de-densify", by closing "around" 320 locations by the end of this year.

:arrow: Source

Kralich

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Shops like this - GAME as well - will be going the way of Blockbuster soon enough. I'm honestly surprised they haven't already - I guess Netflix streaming and so on are even more pervasive with even bigger audiences than gaming, and so would spell the end of DVD stores much quicker.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I knew it was over when the store started to look more like a thinkgeek outlet than a game shop

Bummer tho as I did like popping in when I was on a trip to the mall - not that I ever bought much

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's a shame as any true gamer wil want to hav a game store open to them - you guys should wish it gets replaced with something else

Reactions: felix.200

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a shame as any true gamer wil want to hav a game store open to them - you guys should wish it gets replaced with something else
I prefer the tiny locally owned game shops anyhow, they usually got cooler stuff and lots of retro cartridges to thumb through

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
how to be positive since 1st quarter of 2020? i suspect GS lied about profit and they are probably trying to sell the whole chains to new corporate.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I’m lucky, as I live in a major US city, which is rife with local gaming stores that are awesome. I wouldn’t even notice if every GameStop near me died, I think. Even for those in smaller towns, Best Buy, Target, Walmart, will all easily fill the void in terms of being able to grab a physical game. But I kinda wonder—when I was a kid, there was this magical feeling of going into a game store to see games, only games, everywhere. Then again, Blockbuster was also a delight to walk into, and yet Netflix seamlessly replaced them and no children these days seem to really be bothered by the lack of physical DVD/Blu-ray places.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I prefer the tiny locally owned game shops anyhow, they usually got cooler stuff and lots of retro cartridges to thumb through
We have one local game store. It's been in operations for a couple decades now. Used to be fun to go and chat with the owner and play some games. Now, they have some arrogant clown who believes that because a Halo Xbox is listed at $250 that's what it's worth. It's strictly business with them now. So, they're just as bad as gamestop for me.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shops like this - GAME as well - will be going the way of Blockbuster soon enough. I'm honestly surprised they haven't already - I guess Netflix streaming and so on are even more pervasive with even bigger audiences than gaming, and so would spell the end of DVD stores much quicker.

Except blockbuster was purchased by dishnet worknet like 3 years before they closed down. And were actually became stable once again as a business. Unfortunately breaking even doesn’t help a company grow. They made the right decision to close knowing they couldn’t survive the ps4/xbox one era. Losing as less money as they could. I know what they weren’t able to sell, what was left on the selves at my local block busters went next to the dumpsters with a free please take sign.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
We have one local game store. It's been in operations for a couple decades now. Used to be fun to go and chat with the owner and play some games. Now, they have some arrogant clown who believes that because a Halo Xbox is listed at $250 that's what it's worth. It's strictly business with them now. So, they're just as bad as gamestop for me.
The thing is, they can bait idiots with that kinda stuff. The best cringe is when they print random buy it now eBay auctions and slap it on the console as if it means anything. Especially because I think that green Xbox says limited edition on the front (it’s been a while since I’ve looked at mine) so they’re able to dupe the uninformed and make it seem super rare. But then, what kind of uninformed people are going to be buying retro hardware? I dunno. It must actually work and be profitable, because there’s a store here that does the exact same things and still has good business.

JayMathis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think of all the lives that will be lost due to essential business Gamestop closing 300 stores.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Most of know they're not good for gamers so why would we want them open? It's not like it means we can't get those games somewhere else. I haven't been in a Gamestop since like 2011 and somehow I have been able to get all the games I want.

Reactions: RyRyIV

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The thing is, they can bait idiots with that kinda stuff. The best cringe is when they print random buy it now eBay auctions and slap it on the console as if it means anything. Especially because I think that green Xbox says limited edition on the front (it’s been a while since I’ve looked at mine) so they’re able to dupe the uninformed and make it seem super rare. But then, what kind of uninformed people are going to be buying retro hardware? I dunno. It must actually work and be profitable, because there’s a store here that does the exact same things and still has good business.
Which, is fine. That's just one issue I have with them now. Went in looking for component cables for my of Xbox. You know what the guy said? "They don't make em anymore and now cost $300". Not even joking. I have no idea where that price came from. It used to be a store I went to for information on the newest titles and tech. I'm better off going to Best Buy.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With more people playing video games than ever before and they couldn't hang on. I'll miss these guys they always let me use their wifi which was faster at downloading large files than my own.

RyRyIV

Woke Clown
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Jokes aside I do feel for the employees at those stores. These are tough times right now for everyone, and while I’ve definitely experienced my share of bad GameStop employees, I’ve met a few good people at GameStop who just love gaming, and want to help people have the best gaming experience possible. Hope they all land on their feet!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch