Games that feature/have snow?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
outcast.jpg
My first memories of decent snow in any videogame (including at the time, amazing sound effects for snow being trampled on in a videgame) was an old Voxel PC game called Outcast. Those were the days....

Doesn't look that good today but when this came out in 1998 or 99 (I cant remember exactly when) this was miles ahead of anything else around.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Armored Core series has snow levels and unfortunately they often turn out to be fog fests with shit viability which can make tracking enemies a pain (at least the PS2 games and beyond as the snow stages in the PS1 games had good viability granted they also took place at night and clear skies).

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
List Time!
Games that I can think of that have snow areas:
HALO
HALO 2
HALO 3 (That multiplayer map where I managed to avoid, then jump right back into the same Plasma Grenade...D'Oh!)
Donkey Kong Country 1 2 and 3
Donkey Kong Land 1 2 and 3
DKC Returns/3D
Just about every single Super Mario game Except Sunshine.
The Mario Kart and Mario Party games.
Mario Hoopz 3 on 3 had an ice level (with music used in the level sampeld from "blind to see it" from another game or anime which is funny)
...Winter Olympics, Mario and Sonic at Beijing Olympics, the 2014 Mario & Sonic at Toronto Olympics
Pokemon X and Y (The later routes in Eastern Kalos)
Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver (Mount Silver)
Pokemon Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. Route 216 and Mt Coronet Exterior.
(In fact every time it snows, I think of this score from Route 216)

Guild Wars 2, Shiverpeak Mountains
*(Don't tell SEGA EAST but...) Phantasy Star Online 2's snow area. It's the second area on the first planet. (Been awhile sense I played PSO2)
Pokemon Black, Black 2, White, White 2 during April, August, and December when it's "Winter" in the Isshu-er I mean Unova region. (Funny how I remember the Romaji Japanese Pokemon names and City names but have a hard time remembering the English names.)
Skyrim
Elder Scrolls On-er not out yet, never mind. But you can visit SKYRIM, or at least Riften and Eastmarch from what I hear.
Wyrmstooth mod for Skyrim.
Zelda Oracle of Seasons
Zelda Twilight Princess
Zelda Link Between Worlds, Lorule Death Mountain
Children of Mana
Secret of Mana
Kingdom Hearts II: World of Dragons
GODZILLA NES (The Creepypasta) Warning; may contain soul-eating demons!
Minecraft: Eternal Frost Mod (Freezer Dimension/Frozen Nether Dimension Mod)
Just about any RPG Maker VX Ace Project or Game I make will have some sort of snow area.

*For those interested, I use an English patch that IS against the rules but hasn't been enforced as it's seen as benign I guess? ARKSLAYER Patch and Story Patch. I stopped playing because it's a royal pain in the arse to patch the game EVERY WEDNESDAY.

Reactions: cearp and Black-Ice

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
thanks again everyone who helped me with this :)

does anyone know what the 'first' game to have snow was?

Anything resembling accumulation is more likely to be a time based texture swap out affair (if snow time = so many game hours then load small snow bank....) or a "burn the spiderweb" type thing but here you are using a wind/fire spell, dig command or something.

well there are quite a few ways of doing it, i think i will be using something along the lines of having a bezier surface patch on surfaces that will receive snow, and when the snow flake falls on a surface, a value is increased, and then rendering all the values. i am supposed to find out something new of improve on existing methods, so, i'll see what i can come up with haha

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    I knocked the east coast backbone of EarthLink offline for like 6 hours one time, was on the news and everything well I mean I wasn't on the news.... Just they where having "technical difficulties" lol
    +1
    Was just one single custom packet. I miss when Internet security was an afterthought lol almost all modems and network hardware operated in promiscuous mode.
    Now these days they do sanity checks.... The source IP can't also be the destination IP lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Now these days they do sanity checks.... The source IP can't also be the destination IP lol