Gaming Games 4:3 on 16:9

giacomo1978

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hello guys, many wii games on my hd ready tv are seen with the black bands on the sides vertically and I wondered is it possible to somehow lengthen the image to full screen? for example you can not change the game with some program for change the expectation of the game in 16:9?
I hope I explained myself ..
thank you.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is possible to change the Wii settings to 16:9. After doing that, you must set your TV setting to Widescreen or Stretch. Most Wii games support 16:9 after doing this. What are you trying to play that is pillarboxed with black bars?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
hello guys, many wii games on my hd ready tv are seen with the black bands on the sides vertically and I wondered is it possible to somehow lengthen the image to full screen? for example you can not change the game with some program for change the expectation of the game in 16:9?
I hope I explained myself ..
thank you.

this is done in your tv, you must search under your tv settings\buttons for a stretch image\full picture option
in the wii settings there is a widescreen option

the wii doesn't output 720p (aka hd ready image) so the quality is not the best but it works that way

giacomo1978

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It is possible to change the Wii settings to 16:9. After doing that, you must set your TV setting to Widescreen or Stretch. Most Wii games support 16:9 after doing this. What are you trying to play that is pillarboxed with black bars?
I have already made these settings but there are still many games that have black bands on the sides like in the games:
game party 1,2 and 3
fortune street
and many others..

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
on the TV, it's usually named "full screen" or "1:1", instead of "16:9".
using "16:9" on the TV might create the reversed effect.

some games (like Mario party 8) are NOT developed to take fullscreen when using widescreen settings.
it usually add borders on the side (rarely black, usually themed, which is not the best for LCD burn)
if you don't want black screen, set the wii setting to 4:3, and your tv to fullscreen, but the picture will look stretched to fill all the visible area.

if more game are doing the same and you use an USBLoader, be sure you set the aspect ratio setting to 16:9 instead of 4:3

Last edited by Cyan,

giacomo1978

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
this is done in your tv, you must search under your tv settings\buttons for a stretch image\full picture option
in the wii settings there is a widescreen option

the wii doesn't output 720p (aka hd ready image) so the quality is not the best but it works that way
I have already set everything as you say but there are many games that are only 4: 3 and that is why the black vertical bands come out ... I would like to see them in full screen ...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

on the TV, it's usually named "full screen" or "1:1", instead of "16:9".
using "16:9" on the TV might create the reversed effect.

some games (like Mario party) are NOT developed to take fullscreen when using widescreen settings.
it usually add borders on the side (rarely black, usually themed, which is not the best for LCD burn)

if more game are doing the same and you use an USBLoader, be sure you set the aspect ratio setting to 16:9 instead of 4:3
it is true wiiflow has this function to force the games in 16: 9 but can you tell me why it does not work then? the games always remain in 4: 3 ..
please, what can I do? I have to buy a 4: 3 TV to see them all in full screen?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have already made these settings but there are still many games that have black bands on the sides like in the games:
game party 1,2 and 3
fortune street
and many others..
Some games don't support 16:9 and are hardcoded to add bars on the sides, I think the only game I really noticed do this was Mario Party 8 and they weren't black. I played Fortune Street a lot and don't remember seeing any black bars but that might be because the TV was set to stretch the image.
Anyway, setting the Wii to 4:3 might actually get rid of the black bars in that case. Depends on if your TV is set to stretch to 16:9 or not. Because when the Wii is set to 16:9 and the game is adding black bars the TV might not autodetect that it should be stretching the image.
There should be a button on your TV remote that changes the scaling mode, try the different modes and see if any of them get rid of the black bars without cropping the image.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

giacomo1978

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Some games don't support 16:9 and are hardcoded to add bars on the sides, I think the only game I really noticed do this was Mario Party 8 and they weren't black. I played Fortune Street a lot and don't remember seeing any black bars but that might be because the TV was set to stretch the image.
Anyway, setting the Wii to 4:3 might actually get rid of the black bars in that case. Depends on if your TV is set to stretch to 16:9 or not. Because when the Wii is set to 16:9 and the game is adding black bars the TV might not autodetect that it should be stretching the image.
There should be a button on your TV remote that changes the scaling mode, try the different modes and see if any of them get rid of the black bars without cropping the image.
in fact I'm talking about games that do not support 16: 9, is there a way to see them in full screen? I tried all the settings on the TV and on the wii but nothing!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
in fact I'm talking about games that do not support 16: 9, is there a way to see them in full screen? I tried all the settings on the TV and on the wii but nothing!
I have never encountered a widescreen TV without an option to stretch the image. It might not be in the menus, it's usually a dedicated button on the remote often with something that looks like a square with arrows on it.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Anyway, setting the Wii to 4:3 might actually get rid of the black bars in that case.
thanks for this tip
but yeah, enabling\disabling the widescreen option in the wii + change tv setting to stretch the image\full screen will get rid of the bars..
i personally rather have bars than a deformed (and usually blurry) picture but whichever their way

Reactions: Lacius

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL