Gamers start campaign to end Wii U/3DS region locking.

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 16,985
  • Replies 186
  • Likes 15

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
Considering it took two years for every Operation Rainfall (yes, I know there isn't necessarily a correlation) game to be released in Europe and America, I wonder how long this will take, if it succeeds at all.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I think it's doubtful that Nintendo will undo the region locking for the Wii U and 3DS. However, I signed the petition because they make take it into consideration, among other factors like the lack of region locking on competitor's consoles, when they release their next console. Hopefully.

DaRk_ViVi

Sending you back... to the future!
Trophies
Website
www.darkvivi.it
XP
Country
Italy

PROTOBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's a sh1t:O, actually don't have 3D S XL, black or white here in America, only on the European countries:(, that's a shame, I had every intention to buy this one, but after that I guess I won't buy until they unlock...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a sh1t:O, actually don't have 3D S XL, black or white here in America, only on the European countries:(, that's a shame, I had every intention to buy this one, but after that I guess I won't buy until they unlock...

And that's why region-locking sucks balls. To hell with AP and DRM measures, that's a lame excuse to region lock, people will find away around it I'm sure.

PROTOBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone knows if there are still those kinds of differences between the games region like content different due local law or restriction??

I mean, if a game from Germany for example, can be different from a American game dues country law or restriction..

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone knows if there are still those kinds of differences between the games region like content different due local law or restriction??

I mean, if a game from Germany for example, can be different from a American game dues country law or restriction..

Short version is yes they can. The slightly longer version is not anywhere close to the NES and SNES era levels in terms of the amount of changes or the harshness of them. Occasionally they also update games between regions so Europe gets the better versions (it happened often enough for Europe with various RPGs on the GBA and a few times on the DS as well) but it can go the other way too (there has already been a very noted case of it in Etrian Odyssey 4 which was lousy apparently). Releases and dates wise it goes both ways -- Europe is not that bad a place any more but it still misses out on a lot, on the other hand it has a lot that never makes it across the pond and will occasionally get games ahead of time (including Nintendo first and second party).
Germany as you mention it is actually quite harsh on a lot of things and there will often be a cut version (and later an uncensored version) for there, as far as the handhelds went I did not see it but I see it a lot when I cover the 360 releases. Australia (typically also bundled with Europe) has a similar thing, it was supposed to change with the new laws there but that does not look like much has happened. Australia is a backwater that barely merits an afterthought as far as most came companies are concerned -- there have been all of about 20 Australia specific releases across the GBA and DS with about one English language exclusive (a poker game on the DS) and maybe a few region specific editions of quiz/puzzle/board games or region specific titlescreens.

Also if you are looking at getting a French DS because you are a French speaking Canadian then if you have noticed what few games you would get in French around you are typically riddled with spelling and grammar errors it gets a lot better (not ideal by any means and many are still throwaway efforts but worlds better). However it will be continental French instead, I do not know French well enough to truly go between dialects but I do know it is far less difference than Portuguese is or even a lot of Spanish is so you should be OK enough.

Reactions: PROTOBOY

PROTOBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks I will buy this version, now I just have to choose if I will buy the white, or the black, it will be my first 3DS due I didn't buy the first 3DS version because I know Nintendo and I had sure they was going to release a 3DS XL version like they did with DSi, also my first DS was the DSi XL version, and my first GBA was GBA SP..

WiiU I don't mind they will make a new version, but its a possibility, so I will wait for some more time..

Now I just wonder if Nintendo can release a 3DS XL model with two circle pads instead the necessity of the circle pad pro accessory:unsure:.

So its okay, as I understand I only will have problem if for example I buy the German Resident Evil Revelations, but if I buy the British or French nothing will be cut right????

Yes I know that, I heard some people get problem with the first version of Chrono Trigger for DS, i was lucky as I bought mine this year, and I noticed that I got the new version with the revised French translation, C.O.P. The Recruit I just bought and was okay the translation.

My DS games are both, Europeans and American versions at least they will work in the 3DS XL European version..

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
16 left.

I wonder when Ninty will reply to this..if they do, that is.

The thing is, if there is enough tumult and outrage from dying fans, then maybe, but even then, I'm not holding my breath. Region locking isn't that beneficial in the long run. I've bought movies from Japan and it was region locked, but, I then learned about VLC and how wonderful it is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye tempBOT: @ The Real Jdbye farts behind the fan +1