Gamergate: Which games have you played Which had great reviews made you think "WTF is this"

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've got lots, but my main one is Minecraft. It would be so much better if it didn't look like an Atari 2600 game.

HD texture pack + shaders.

Every COD game to me.
Every sports game to me.
Assassins creed from Black Flag onwards.

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay. Just for the record, what would you call a "good game"? I'm just curious. :rolleyes:

I like games with engaging story line and deep characterization (which is why I like RE6 better than 4 or 5. ashley makes me want to shoot her. 5 was okay, but nothing engaging). mass effect 2 was bad because they changed the system in ME 1 dramatically and I had very hard time to adapt the new system, plus the casts, ugh, I wanted to kill them all.

for a record, I don't really like shooter gamers. I started playing these because jrpg is a dying genre thus I'm trying to adapt modern games by playing western-oriented games. these are the following games that I rated very highly: Saga Frontier, Chrono Trigger, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Tactics Ogre (psp), RE 6, ME3, Deus EX Human Revolution.

yeah, I like japanese games better, but I think their quality is declining, that's why I'm slowly playing western games (thanks to the cheap bundles and steam sales) although believe me, it's not easy.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just about anything on last gen consoles, mostly aimed at 360 and ps3. Anything that was in 3D, had multiplayer, and some sort of half assed story seemed to ALWAYS score over an 8/10.

Its unfortunate that Bungie's Destiny was what it took to wake reviews up to the idea that "oh it takes more to make a truly great game." But I honestly dont see that changing soon. Console AAA games are short with "pretty" graphics and low emphasis on much else.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I must confess to not knowing about the texture packs, but I assume that it's PC-only? I don't play games on PC.

It's... pretty much PC only yes.
Xbox (and PS3) probably have a few HD texture packs but on the PC, It can look extremely beautiful.

Tiffani

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, thanks for the answer. :)
Another game I played that had good reviews I didn't like and is regarded as "an unappreciated gem" was Psychonauts.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, thanks for the answer. :)
Another game I played that had good reviews I didn't like and is regarded as "an unappreciated gem" was Psychonauts.

You can add any Tim Schafer "masterpiece" to that list. At this point he's just a sad fraud.

Game journalism has always been pure payoff bullshit, but this whole "gamergate" bullshit is just sexist bologna, the only reason people give a crap is because they have an agenda themselves

71cb3193e1.gif

Reactions: DunnoBro

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just about anything on last gen consoles, mostly aimed at 360 and ps3. Anything that was in 3D, had multiplayer, and some sort of half assed story seemed to ALWAYS score over an 8/10.

Its unfortunate that Bungie's Destiny was what it took to wake reviews up to the idea that "oh it takes more to make a truly great game." But I honestly dont see that changing soon. Console AAA games are short with "pretty" graphics and low emphasis on much else.
All of this. Production value, playtesting and markerting are valued over everything else. The generic expensive but shallow special effects movie gets 5/10 or 6/10 ratings, but if it's a generic expensive videogame, it's an instant great game. What the fuck are the game review standards even. This is why bloggers shouldn't call themselves critics.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ever since the Kane and Lynch Conspiracy at GameSpot, game "journalism" has been shit, on a "for hire" basis and one not to be trusted.

:angry: I will kill you in your sleep. :)

Smash Bros. 3DS got huge ratings above the board, but I'm a bit unsure why. I'm truly not seeing why the game deserved the 8s and 9s. It's a mid 7 at its current state. :/

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I like to read reviews, but I don't judge games purely by reviews. I prefer to look at gameplay and judge whether the gameplay looks like my thing or not.
Honestly there have been so many games that have gotten great reviews that have disappointed me, it would be impossible to list them all. But I tend to be picky when it comes to games, I like certain styles and genres and everything else just doesn't appeal to me enough that I get hooked and keep playing it. Games are very subjective, some people will love a game and some will hate it, even reviewers that try to be objective can't get around the fact that most other people aren't, and those people might still hate games that are objectively very well made simply because it doesn't appeal to them at all.

Reactions: Nightwish

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

Smash Bros. 3DS got huge ratings above the board, but I'm a bit unsure why. I'm truly not seeing why the game deserved the 8s and 9s. It's a mid 7 at its current state. :/

I'm not talking about ALL reviews haha i'm talking about IGN, GameSpot, Metacritic *snickers* :lol:

The ones that have a sticker on their ass that says "for rent"

Reactions: Ryukouki

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

Agreed on Smash Bros, though IMO even mid 7 is stretching it a bit. If I were given the review, I'd probably put it around a 6.8 or so simply because I've yet to be in a multiplayer game without either buttloads of lag or just OP Little Macs all over the place. Even local multiplayer had some lag if we weren't literally sitting on eachother.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed on Smash Bros, though IMO even mid 7 is stretching it a bit. If I were given the review, I'd probably put it around a 6.8 or so simply because I've yet to be in a multiplayer game without either buttloads of lag or just OP Little Macs all over the place. Even local multiplayer had some lag if we weren't literally sitting on eachother.

The multiplayer experience definitely varies. I've actually seen some great matches during my tests. And this is why I absolutely hate numbers and scores. It makes no damn sense because they're completely subjective to the reviewer who writes the piece - people look at big time critical reviews, and they see the number, and go, oh, under 8? That game must be trash. Which is kind of why I like to think of reviews realistically and compare it to other platforms, and on the immediate system's ecosystem to see what might be worth more - and given that 2014 has been a dry year for the 3DS, there is almost no competition that can even come close to it - hence my score.

And I feel like if you put a 6.8, you'd be assassinated in your sleep. :) So maybe it's best if you didn't handle this review. :rolleyes: Because Smash obviously can't score that low right? :/

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
And I feel like if you put a 6.8, you'd be assassinated in your sleep. :) So maybe it's best if you didn't handle this review. :rolleyes: Because Smash obviously can't score that low right? :/

Maybe if I put it at a 6.9 all the kiddies would giggle their little training panties off and leave me alone ;O;OO;O

Reactions: Ryukouki

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...