Hacking G6 Lite

Tir

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah I meant in relation to how the micro SD cards perform in the test, since no one's been able to test that format yet. Though, I guess someone could use an adapter and try them in some vanilla SD based card. M3 will be using micro SD in their new "lite" one I guess? I hope they officially announce something soon.
wink2.gif

I won't get my hopes up on getting a 512MB G6L until I see the final price (the initial conversions sound too cheap), but I like idea of no card reading = less slowdown and less power drain, plus it looks better than the EZ4L to me.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how many games (DS games only) can you fit on a 512MB?

the games come in a variety of sizes, so it depends. So far, the majority of the better games are either 256Mbits (same as 32 MegaBytes) or 512Mbits (64 MegaBytes)

so, with most of the games being either 32MB or 64MB youre looking at between 8 to 16 games.

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so when I buy a EZ Flash 2 and they say 1GB, it's completely different than when a MicroSD says it's 1GB?

yep... the clue is the what 'case' the letter 'b' is in. 'b'=bits 'B'=bytes

so from you're example the EZ-F II 1Gb is eight (8) times smaller than the MicroSD at 1 GB

8 'b'its = 1 'B'yte = a quick nibble (only joking)

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am so torn what I should wait for. A DS lite flashcart that uses MicroSD or the kind that the EZ Flash 2 uses. Decisions decisions....

The kind EZ Flash 2 uses has awesome GBA compatibility, and better battery life. The MicroSD type has worse battery life but much more storage space and a bit cheaper.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am so torn what I should wait for. AÂ DS lite flashcart that uses MicroSD or the kind that the EZ Flash 2 uses. Decisions decisions....

The kind EZ Flash 2 uses has awesome GBA compatibility, and better battery life. The MicroSD type has worse battery life but much more storage space and a bit cheaper.

EZ2's uses NOR flash memory, w/ a fairly quick read speed I might add. Products like the G6 and EZ3 use a combination of NOR, NAND and PSRAM. The main area where you store your games is the NAND portion. NAND has a faster burn speed then NOR, but as it's read speed is so low it is unsuitable as a medium to execute a GBA game from. The nice thing about NAND other then it's slightly better burn speed is that it is cheap (ie cheaper/bigger carts) and can be managed w/ a file system so that you can add and remove files in any order, as opposed to having to delete images in the oposite order that you burned them in like on the EZ2. To get around the slow read speed of NAND the ROM image is first copied from the NAND to the PSRAM before the image is executed. In the case of the EZ3 at least (I'm not sure about the G6 as I don't own one) there is only 128Mb of PSRAM so a 256Mb space of NOR is provided to run 256Mb ROM images from. The NOR is not included in x Mb rating so it's like getting an extra 256Mb for free.
smile.gif

EZ4's (as do the other removable media carts I believe) have a similar set-up except the NAND portion is "replaced" by the removable media.

And again, my EZ4 makes no more difference to my DS' battery life then my 256 Mb EZ2 Power Star or my 1Gb EZ3 or for that matter "original" GBA/DS games. While this uses miniSD's and not microSD's, the power consumption of the EZ4 lite should be about the same.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am so torn what I should wait for. A  DS lite flashcart that uses MicroSD or the kind that the EZ Flash 2 uses. Decisions decisions....

The kind EZ Flash 2 uses has awesome GBA compatibility, and better battery life. The MicroSD type has worse battery life but much more  storage space and a bit cheaper.

EZ2's uses NOR flash memory, w/ a fairly quick read speed I might add. Products like the G6 and EZ3 use a combination of NOR, NAND and PSRAM. The main area where you store your games is the NAND portion. NAND has a faster burn speed then NOR, but as it's read speed is so low it is unsuitable as a medium to execute a GBA game from. The nice thing about NAND other then it's slightly better burn speed is that it is cheap (ie cheaper/bigger carts) and can be managed w/ a file system so that you can add and remove files in any order, as opposed to having to delete images in the oposite order that you burned them in like on the EZ2. To get around the slow read speed of NAND the ROM image is first copied from the NAND to the PSRAM before the image is executed. In the case of the EZ3 at least (I'm not sure about the G6 as I don't own one) there is only 128Mb of PSRAM so a 256Mb space of NOR is provided to run 256Mb ROM images from. The NOR is not included in x Mb rating so it's like getting an extra 256Mb for free.
smile.gif

EZ4's (as do the other removable media carts I believe) have a similar set-up except the NAND portion is "replaced" by the removable media.

And again, my EZ4 makes no more difference to my DS' battery life then my 256 Mb EZ2 Power Star or my 1Gb EZ3 or for that matter "original" GBA/DS games. While this uses miniSD's and not microSD's, the power consumption of the EZ4 lite should be about the same.

Awesome! Does your EZ4 pass the Castlevania FMV test?

darkandlong

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I am so torn what I should wait for. AÂ DS lite flashcart that uses MicroSD or the kind that the EZ Flash 2 uses. Decisions decisions....

The kind EZ Flash 2 uses has awesome GBA compatibility, and better battery life. The MicroSD type has worse battery life but much more storage space and a bit cheaper.

smile.gif

Awesome! Does your EZ4 pass the Castlevania FMV test?

Probably not. I've tried 2 mini sd cards (A-data 60x and Stargem 150x) and both skip while playing the FMV. I haven't noticed any issues in games though

P0W3RMAC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One question that I have to ask is how is the single cart download play (to avoid confusion, I'm the host and other UNFLASHED DS's are downloading from ME) on the G6's?

The whole single cart download play thing is pretty messed up on the M3, SC, and EZ but I haven't heard a single thing about G6's.

If this cart is priced at $62, I'll definitely buy one, pronto.

[PM]

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably not. I've tried 2 mini sd cards (A-data 60x and Stargem 150x) and both skip while playing the FMV. I haven't noticed any issues in games though

Yeah, that would be accurate, and while I'm not using the fastest miniSD I could, from what I've been reading it seems to be a software issue w/ the EZ4. W/ any luck they'll fix it soon... Not that it matters much to me as I own a legit copy of Castelvania and this is the only place where anything I've tried experiences any "slow down". I haven't tried Tony Hawk either, BTW, as I own a copy of that too.
smile.gif

Nevin007

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I emailed them and here is what they said regarding the release date.

Hi ,

Thanks for your concern about our products .
We estimated that we will put out the G6 lite within this month .

Regards
Danny

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Can I ask current G6 owners:

1, What's the GBA compatibility like?

2, How long does it take to copy a 256Mbit GBA game from NAND to PSRam?

3, Does the copy of GBA games from NAND to PSRam have to take place every time you switch on the machine, or is it only when you switch from one GBA game to another? (In other words, is the PSRam non-volatile)?

I'd be interested in answers to these questions as well, been using my EFA 512 for ages now and this new skinny G6 would be great with my DSLite.

Not interested in any DS piracy, just ease of carrying around one cart for GBA
smile.gif

Couple more Qs for G6 owners - how is the software when it comes to backing up the .SAV files and how is the cart for overall reliabilty?

matt1freek

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i own a 1g g6 and i wouldnt really recommend it for general GBA use. Works great for NDS tho.
however if not sticking out of the Lite really means that much to you than the g6 is probally your best bet..
despite my old sav troubles (before they upgraded) and those stupid "parameter fail" errors. I'm sure i'll be first in line for the g6 lite once its released.. because when it comes down to it supercard 3 + g6 lite = damn sexy

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
i own a 1g g6 and i wouldnt really recommend it for general GBA use. Works great for NDS tho.
however if not sticking out of the Lite really means that much to you than the g6 is probally your best bet..
despite my old sav troubles (before they upgraded) and those stupid "parameter fail" errors. I'm sure i'll be first in line for the g6 lite once its released.. because when it comes down to it supercard 3 + g6 lite = damn sexy

Thought so, the G6 has had pretty crap results in reviews when it comes to GBA stuff.

Looks like I'll stick to my trusty EFA 512 for the time being then...

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
it's not out yet...they said they want to release it this month, but honestly I doubt this is gonna happen...we'll see

if the 4Gb card is really going to cost something like $62, this will be my new flashcard

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/d9wnSq_aP-0?si=T9bdloMD2dGzvnbf