Hacking G6 Lite

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was told anything using removable flash memory has much worse battery life than other type flash carts.

I don't know how to make it any more clear to you. I own an EZ4 and use it daily for up to 9 hours at a time and still do not manage to empty a fully charged DS battery. I own a DS not a DS lite, Nintendo says that the battery should last about 10 hours depending on what software you are running on it... I can get 9 out of it at least, probably more if I worked more hours. I haven't actualy tested the 10 hour limit because:

1) While I have plenty of time to play w/ my DS at work, some times I do have to turn it off or put it to sleep.
2) I can't be bothered to leave my DS on and open till the battery fails and time it.
3) When I get home I plug my DS in so that it will be charged for my next day at "work".

Own a Gameshark, Action Replay, PassMe, etc? Those will tank a full DS battery in 3-4 hours. An EZ4 has no more effect as far as I can tell, w/o serious testing I can't be bothered to do, on the DS' battery then "normal" use. Keep in mind I also own an EZ2 and EZ3, and w/ regular use I can find NO difference in battery usage between the 3 carts. As far as SC and M3 I can't say beyond what I've read: M3 = minimal difference in life, SC = battery draining pig iron.

Given my results, do you use your DS for more then 9 hours at a time w/o plugging it in at some point?
wink.gif

beedog19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This sounds like a very promising cart for when I finally get around to buying a DSL. I just have 1 quick question. Does anyone know how the G6 GBA compatibility is now? I read most of the thread and checked m3-forum for an answer but couldn't find something definate. It is a pretty big selling point for me and would love a cart that size with good compatibility at any price.

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
As far as SC and M3 I can't say beyond what I've read: M3 = minimal difference in life,
SC = battery draining pig iron.
Don’t know why people keep spitting out the same BS.
Just to clarify again! I have tested both the M3-SD &
the SC-Mini & the SC-Mini gets 30 Min more of bat
life over the M3, I like the M3 but lets stick to the facts.

ebcubs03

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
As far as SC and M3 I can't say beyond what I've read: M3 = minimal difference in life,
SC = battery draining pig iron.
Don’t know why people keep spitting out the same BS.
Just to clarify again! I have tested both the M3-SD &
the SC-Mini & the SC-Mini gets 30 Min more of bat
life over the M3, I like the M3 but lets stick to the facts.

Exact opposite for me.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
This looks perfect to me. I too would be interested to know what the GBA compatibility is like on the current G6. Also, what are loading times for GBA games like on G6, thinking of the copying from NAND to 256Mbit PSRAM?

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I asked Danny about the price and an M3 Lite.

Here's the answer I got:

QUOTE said:
Hi ***,

Sorry , due to the G6 lite has not been released .
We will confirm the price later .

Yes , we are making the M3 Micro SD adapter .
But it is hard to tell you the actually time .
We will try my best to make it asap .

Regards
Danny

So we'll see about that price. And yay for M3 Lite
yaynds.gif

Jackbauerx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I asked Danny about the price and an M3 Lite.

Here's the answer I got:

QUOTE said:
Hi ***,

Sorry , due to the G6 lite has not been released .
We will confirm the price later .

Yes , we are making the M3 Micro SD adapter .
But it is hard to tell you the actually time .
We will try my best to make it asap .

Regards
Danny

So we'll see about that price. And yay for M3 Lite
yaynds.gif
who's danny???
huh.gif

ebcubs03

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard a rumor that the M3 Lite will be an m3 pro but with micro SD... Maybe this is how it can fit completely... I bet the EZ4 Lite could fit completely if it dropped GBA support too.

compi_

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I heard a rumor that the M3 Lite will be an m3 pro but with micro SD... Maybe this is how it can fit completely... I bet the EZ4 Lite could fit completely if it dropped GBA support too.
No, the fact it doesn't fit isn't because of the GBA support, if you look at the image that the EZ team provided carefully, you will notice that the micro SD slot is too big to fit perfectly in a DS Lite.

pess

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wonder why they are still limiting the cart at 512MBytes when the removable flash media goes much beyond that limit.

They could at least make a 1GBytes especiallly after the m3 team released the 2nd Generation of the Crystal engine so they should be expecting more people to play video and use the multimedia capabilities.
512MBytes is enough for games only but not when we have mp3s, videos and any other kind of multimedia files.

If it's because the 1GBytes chip is over priced that they couldn't use it, I wonder why they can't use 2 NAND chip for the DS only version since they saved space by removing the PSRAM.
Using two 512MB chip to make 1GB should be cheaper than using one 1GB chip.

ebcubs03

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No, the fact it doesn't fit isn't because of the GBA support, if you look at the image that the EZ team provided carefully, you will notice that the micro SD slot is too big to fit perfectly in a DS Lite.

I'm sure there is a way to make it fit, be it making the materials on the SD cart slot thinner or the top plastic thinner. If m3 doesn't found out how, I'll be very surprised.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: oops, wrong thread.
Must stop posing early in the morning so much xD.

The G6 has always be interesting to me with the ability to use it like a flash drive, but they always cost so darn much.

Though to go with the question. Isnt 512Mbytes cheaper to produce than 1Gbytes?
They probly want to be able to sell them fast.

Though 1Gbyte would be great.
Personally, Id love ot have a NDS harddrive hookup. Would end up bulky yes, but 20gigs to replace any need for an Ipod is something Id like xD
Plus all the NDS homebrew in the world in one go
happy.gif

And probly the whole NES rom set.
Good stuff like that
happy.gif

I'll wait till the G6 lite gets cheaper before I get one. Providing its not too hard to find by then ofcourse.

ovejon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Personally, I think that 512MB is a good number. True that you will have to transfer files more often, but at least you can carry more than 3 games at a time.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I'd be happy to get a regular G6 if they'd drop the price a bit after the G6Lite comes out, but that never seems to happen. They still charge the same for a old-style M3 SD as they do for the SD Slim or miniSD. Maybe $5 difference, but it ought to be more like a clearance sale.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: