Homebrew Discussion ftpd doesn't work

MisterPantsEyes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Filezilla always tries to connect, but can't and then gets a timeout after 20 seconds. Wtf?

PjfoX9j.jpg

It's blurry, but you can see that it's the correct IP.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this is getting attention, why does this app crash all the damn time? It'd be nice to not have to keep removing my MicroSD card and reinserting it into my PC to transfer files over!

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this is getting attention, why does this app crash all the damn time? It'd be nice to not have to keep removing my MicroSD card and reinserting it into my PC to transfer files over!

Use the SysFTP kip file instead of the Homebrew (or use the Homebrew launcher NSP with FTPD). The crashes stopped happening for me after I started using the SysFTP Kip version.

iggy2kX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
filezilla and ftpd don't play well together sometimes. What I do is close and reopen filezilla on the pc, disable and reenable wifi on the switch, restart ftpd and try to connect again. Gotta remember ftpd is stubborn from time to time.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
can you use ftp client to connect to other consoles? wii, wiiu, etc. ?
it might be a firewall problem? are you using any program blocking your connections or filtering mac, or filtering IPs allowed to access LAN?

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Here are my findings with ftpd. Most versions of it dont work as intended. There is a version m4xw compiled that works perfectly - and is stable. Both directions. Use that one. (I'm not using a kip ftp either although I could).

Let me repeat that. Use that one. Its the only one thats stable in both directions. Tested several dozens of times.

If you want to recommend a ftp client on the PC side - dont. Its an ftp client. The thing you learned to do with your smartphone? You know - like recommending apps and stuff? Turns out thats not even a thing. Thats a fad. Rather trust in standards and standard implementation. No recommendations needed. You have a great ftp client? I dont care. Any ftp client will do. I was using cyberduck, before I switched to filezilla on the Mac - zero issues with both. In filezilla I have max 1 connection active at a time set for the switch entry. Never had a single problem with it.

Now to the actual "copy me here" tip.

My switches wifi sucks. Extremely.

Here is what you (/I) do to get the ftp working regardlessly. Go to the main menu. If you see only gray bars or no bars in the wifi icon, go to internet, scan for wifi connections and connect manually. In my case there is a proxy between the switch and the internet - so I get the proxys landing page - and dont connect to big N. From the landing page - press home, and you should see your switch now showing as connected with black bars. ONLY THEN, start ftpd.

If you do that - establishing a connection - works all the time, everytime. If you dont - it doesnt (frequent timeouts, or the red lines connection error in ftpd).

Let me repeat that. MAKE SURE, that you have a proxy active that blocks Nintendos web access, connect to wifi manually, preferably go to the proxies landing page, hit home, make sure, that you are connected with at least some black bars.

How reliable is it? Completely. I transfered 4 games over just yesterday ranging fro 4-6 GB. Make sure sleep mode doesnt trigger though. And once more, because I know my clientel, use m4xw' build.

Also, in my case - the switch eventually drops this connection on its own. But probably only once it goes into standby - havent really monitored it. All I know is, that this is the way I use to get a reliable ftpd connection up all the time, everytime. For prolonged periods if needed.

Last edited by notimp,

Chrona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You sure you're using the latest version of it? I had this issue before, told the creator on reddit, and he hotfixed it so that Filezilla and WinSCP worked with it. Haven't had any issues since

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Here is the m4xw compiled version I talked about:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ftp-application.506434/page-5#post-8095478

This works. Both directions, all ftp clients I threw at it. Stable. With big datafiles.

Used ftpd in the past, different versions, the first ones didnt support upload, the later ones crashed if you transfered large files - this one is stable.

If you are getting timeouts - those very well can result from your switch not being connected, while ftpd is open. Again - if you follow the process described above - you'll end up with a 100% success rate, which is kind of what you want - when handling file transfers.

Speedwise I usually get 3MB/s stable (with peak transfer speed being higher). Smaller files make the whole thing much slower, obviously. Its ftp.

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.