emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ghostlight confirmed on their twitter feed that they're testing the patch. However we can forget about getting it in the next two weeks at least because they have to submit it to Ninty.

Good to hear, Atlus JP haven't been the usual complete lazy incompetent sobs as they usually are and Ghostlight are actually testing it this time! An amusing solution to a problem which should never existed in the first place.

Reactions: ferofax

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully this doesn't happen with any more euro Atlus games. Nippon Ichi seems to have made a concrete agreement to publish most of Atlus' titles in the future. Soul Hackers is high on the list according to a Nippon Ichi of Europe forum admin.

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
there's a good chance you might not find a copy for a reasonable price in the future. The first shipment essentially sold out. The best hope in getting the game is the second shipment later this month.

Its kinda expensive for me to give 45 Euro for a not so big port of a game that i just find ok.
If i don't find it for cheap then i'll just skip it.
The sequel is way better than the prequel for which i would gladly pay that amount of money.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
The game is extremely buggy to the point of being unplayable. Every time I try to use the 'summon' command the game just freezes, others are also having this problem as seen on Reddit and NeoGAF. You should not buy this game until it is patched!
So what youre saying is that this game is like Sonic '06? :P

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
^ Lol i was reading about people thinking they had input the names incorrectly but clearly its another bug to add to the list. Hello Last First, nice name you have. xD
The game consistently uses your LAST name to refer to you in dialogues. Your FIRST name is almost never really used, and your NICKname I think only appears in emails/text messages as a user handle. Basically, you're still playing a Japanese game set in a Japanese city with Japanese characters -- just so happens that you can understand them, but they're still pretty much talking in Japanese. Everybody calls everybody by their last names unless they're really, REALLY close, because it almost requires familial relations to someone before you're on first name basis.

So this name bug? Isn't really a name bug, but a cultural quirk. Play the DS version, it's there. Play the JP version of the DS version, it's there as well. Always has been.

Reactions: Deleted User

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The game consistently uses your LAST name to refer to you in dialogues. Your FIRST name is almost never really used, and your NICKname I think only appears in emails/text messages as a user handle. Basically, you're still playing a Japanese game set in a Japanese city with Japanese characters -- just so happens that you can understand them, but they're still pretty much talking in Japanese. Everybody calls everybody by their last names unless they're really, REALLY close, because it almost requires familial relations to someone before you're on first name basis.

So this name bug? Isn't really a name bug, but a cultural quirk. Play the DS version, it's there. Play the JP version of the DS version, it's there as well. Always has been.
My japanese friends call me by my first name and want me to call them by their first name instead of last name. So screw that logic online. xP
The name thing isn't an issue to me, although in this game you had to actually put your first name where it says last name, otherwise Naoya will have your first name as his family name, that's what stirred up the confusion in the game.
For example, I call my char Bad Santa, Bad being first name and Santa family name, if I input the Bad where it says first, Naoya will be called Naoya Bad, instead of Naoya Santa.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
That's ***ing horrible! Did they do any testing before they released the game? Those are some pretty major **** ups. I hate how developers now days just think they can rush a game out and patch it later.... NO, you need to make sure the game is fully functional with no major bugs and that the game script has been proof read at least twice.

Now I'm talking without any knowledge of this game but the name thing isn't about using a first or last name to call someone by but it's stating that the character "Lives with his own family" after they've been killed. Now if the characters shares the surname of his cousin it makes more sense but still should have been differentiated by saying he lives with his cousin's family instead of just the name, which as the game states is actually his first name (another error or cultural misinterpretation).

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
My japanese friends call me by my first name and want me to call them by their first name instead of last name. So screw that logic online. xP
The name thing isn't an issue to me, although in this game you had to actually put your first name where it says last name, otherwise Naoya will have your first name as his family name, that's what stirred up the confusion in the game.
For example, I call my char Bad Santa, Bad being first name and Santa family name, if I input the Bad where it says first, Naoya will be called Naoya Bad, instead of Naoya Santa.
If it really is FIRST NAME, LAST NAME format when you input your name, then it's the localization team's big boo-boo. It should be FAMILY NAME, GIVEN NAME. As I said, Japanese game, Japanese quirks. If you change it like that (FIRST,LAST>FAMILY,GIVEN), then everything makes sense. "Naoya Bad" makes sense, because that's the FAMILY NAME. If the localization team changed the name input into FAMILY,GIVEN, then you'd put your family name in the first field and your given name in the second field (which is basically LAST NAME, FIRST NAME).

Also, the first name basis, yeah, I might have exaggerated that a bit. But even acquaintances frown upon getting called by their first names (unless they are positively predisposed towards you, i.e., they actually like you), because that is considered rude. You have to be relatively close/comfy with the person first.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If it really is FIRST NAME, LAST NAME format when you input your name, then it's the localization team's big boo-boo. It should be FAMILY NAME, GIVEN NAME. As I said, Japanese game, Japanese quirks. If you change it like that (FIRST,LAST>FAMILY,GIVEN), then everything makes sense. "Naoya Bad" makes sense, because that's the FAMILY NAME. If the localization team changed the name input into FAMILY,GIVEN, then you'd put your family name in the first field and your given name in the second field (which is basically LAST NAME, FIRST NAME).

Also, the first name basis, yeah, I might have exaggerated that a bit. But even acquaintances frown upon getting called by their first names (unless they are positively predisposed towards you, i.e., they actually like you), because that is considered rude. You have to be relatively close/comfy with the person first.

Yeah, that's the problem in the game, I don't know if the US version of the game had it, if it didn't then it was probably Ghostlight that swapped that without knowing.

And I know how it works in Japan, but most Japanese girls and guys don't really care about it when talking online, they don't even want me to call them -san, even though they used it when talking to me at first. xP

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Yeah, that's the problem in the game, I don't know if the US version of the game had it, if it didn't then it was probably Ghostlight that swapped that without knowing.

And I know how it works in Japan, but most Japanese girls and guys don't really care about it when talking online, they don't even want me to call them -san, even though they used it when talking to me at first. xP
Japanese. Girls. Online.

Well, for what it's worth, online really has its own etiquette, with far more liberties, than in real life. :)

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Japanese. Girls. Online.

Well, for what it's worth, online really has its own etiquette, with far more liberties, than in real life. :)

I said online, but when I met up with some of them when they came visit my country, they still treated me the same way. The only thing that is that no matter what language they speak in, they're quick to apologise for anything and way too polite.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I just checked the US version. The "input name" screen has it in the English standard order. First name, Last name, Nickname.

I guess DS2 is coming eventually to 3DS. Well, EU should get it like what Dec 2016?
Nippon Ichi made a deal with Atlus, they are going to start publishing Atlus games in Europe now. Not EVERY title, but more than what they are currently getting. And the quality might not be so shit...

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nippon Ichi made a deal with Atlus, they are going to start publishing Atlus games in Europe now. Not EVERY title, but more than what they are currently getting. And the quality might not be so shit...

NISA publishing won't change anything unless Atlus get their shit together. It looks like it was Atlus who coded the E version of Overclocked. It was Atlus/ArcSys who took until early this year to make the European build of Persona 4 Arena. I imagine NISA being a competent company can pressure Atlus into doing their job properly but if Atlus keep on fucking as they do then things will still stay shit. P4A was a great example of this, Zen United licensed to publish the E version before the JP and US release dates. Yet the E version is coming in May.

Reactions: Skelletonike

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ghostlight put this on their Facebook page:

The Devil Survivor Overclocked patch is available now on the eShop.

To find the patch please enter the eShop and then search for Devil Survivor Overclocked.

This patch requires 16 Blocks.

This patch fixes the following issues.
The game may freeze when you summon demons in battle. If you experience this, please leave the game running for approximately 3 to 5 minutes, after which the game will continue.
There is a very infrequent hang which may occur when using the ‘”Auction House”. We therefore recommend saving your game prior to using this feature.
Various naming issues.

The patch works. The rather convoluted procedures Ninty have to get this released is rather questionable.

On that note, two months from release and DSO is now playable! This to solve a problem which should have never existed in the first place...

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yay, good to hear!
Now it simply has to become cheap enough for me to justify buying it again after importing the original DS game.

I hope NIS America does not do such mistakes when they finally release the European version of Etrian Odyssey IV

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGClRsx0x64