Hardware Found a floppy at my grandpa's house

What should i do?

• It's a 4MB easy to lose data paperweight.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dAVID_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's *relatively* clean.
HNI_0039.JPG
HNI_0038.JPG

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
4MB... that PoS is 1.44MB best case scenario.
I think I still have a floppy drive lying around somewhere in the technology graveyard.

PS: And you feel old when you listen a kid pointing at that photo and saying "look, look, that looks like the save icon!"

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You are too young... I start to feel old.
Old school, perhaps the old 5 1/4" floppies that were 160KB and you had to swap sides manually on the C64... that might be oldschool (or using tapes to store games and programs, even more oldschool... um... tapes, those things that also used to hold music in awful quality, you know?)

Reactions: slaphappygamer

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, but you know... we were all cheap bastards and used Type 2 chrome tapes. Metal type were a myth, so of course the ones we used sounded like shit.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Don't you mean Type I, which was actually the cheapest and most common?
I don't know why, but at least during my childhood in my homeland type 1 weren't even sold. I suppose audio houses were ashamed of them. The standard cheap cassette was type 2 chrome, and it sounded bad also, like in a bottle, all high sounds gone.

PS: they also sold metal, but it was very expensive and people just avoided them.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Seeing this thread made me login.
I'm surely old then, because I still have two boxes (maybe more) full of floppies (1.44 MB) 3.5". And a floppy drive as "new" as I got it maybe 15 years ago (barely used it).

Actually I can remember playing Prince of Persia and Gobliiins for DOS, loading it from a floppy disk, those were the very first games I've played on a PC. Some good memories come to my mind.

Last edited by CMDreamer,
Reactions: hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't know why, but at least during my childhood in my homeland type 1 weren't even sold. I suppose audio houses were ashamed of them. The standard cheap cassette was type 2 chrome, and it sounded bad also, like in a bottle, all high sounds gone.
Weird, Type II is generally said to be pretty good...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
PS: And you feel old when you listen a kid pointing at that photo and saying "look, look, that looks like the save icon!"
I did actually have something like that a while back.
Installed a game for a client's kid, said kid being well into his computers and games, and it had a spinning 3d save icon using a floppy disc (it was a survival game so no save anywhere).

I say click on the floppy disc.
Get a somewhat blank look.
You have never seen a floppy disc have you?
*shakes head*
.. and now I feel old.

Previously I had attempted to figure out how to install minecraft mods for him as well. All I might have done thus far in life with computers and modding games had scarcely prepared me for that one. That was also before I encountered the bounce between 20 advert links said modders seem to universally use.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't see why this is a big deal. Well i guess' to those not used to seeing them. i have many laying around.
I have a SNES copiers that load roms from floppy on to the actual snes. I also have working drives and pcs for those 5 1/4 discs. I guess im just to used to seeing them. I actually still use them.

Great to store sensitive information on. its a format no longer used that makes it harder to use. Why store passwords on flash drives that are easily stolen and any pc can use them. Good luck using 5 1/4 floppy on a modern pc. well i guess i just told yal where my passwords are. yeah on floppies in a box of 100 and no labels lol.

I have a sony digital camera that has a floppy drive on it. it uses it to store the pictures. about 25 pictures per disk and 14 of the high quality pics. Its a Sony Mactiva BTW

Last edited by Captain_N,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hp24nDVKvY