Hardware Found a floppy at my grandpa's house

What should i do?

• It's a 4MB easy to lose data paperweight.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was hard before. It's floppy now because your grandma got all over me for the ride of her advanced life, and it's clean thanks to her tongue.

I felt like making a dirty joke.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
My friends used to split games in .arj format into small 1.4 mb files and take those floppies over to each other's computers to share the games.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Great to store sensitive information on. its a format no longer used that makes it harder to use. Why store passwords on flash drives that are easily stolen and any pc can use them. Good luck using 5 1/4 floppy on a modern pc. well i guess i just told yal where my passwords are. yeah on floppies in a box of 100 and no labels lol

Most save managers will happily encrypt your password lists.

Equally store data long term on a weak magnetic media hugely prone to bad sectors? Yeah right.

Security by obscurity ain't security.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
On that note, my floppies back from the C64 days (written in 1986 I think) still work.

PS: They totally seem less susceptible to mold damage than many of my ~1999 written CDs that are already very spotty and dead.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pfft, those are still used today, i tought i was about a "FLOPPY DISK"

469752769_35c5c1fe36_o.jpg
Look, Look, I found a queen:P
Floppy_disk_2009_G1.jpg

Last edited by RandomUser,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck using 5 1/4 floppy on a modern pc.
How do you think all the .d64 images were made for C64/c128 emulators? It's trivial to wire up an old parallel printer cable to connect to a 1541/1570/1571/1581 drive. Did it myself to save a bit of programming I did on the thing when I was younger. Loved writing music on the C128 since it was so easy :P

All relevant info can be found here: http://sta.c64.org/sc.html

I also have plenty of 3 1/2" floppies and a USB floppy drive. Had to, since no modern motherboard has the interface for one anymore (but I still have an internal one in a box somewhere...)

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i don't see why this is a big deal. Well i guess' to those not used to seeing them. i have many laying around.
I have a SNES copiers that load roms from floppy on to the actual snes.

Yeah, me too... but I finally succumbed to change last year and replaced the floppy drive in my DoctorSF7 with a floppy emulator drive that now contains several hundred virtual floppys on a usb stick. Hooking up an external floppy drive to my pc to copy split games spanned across up to four disks was a major PITA, not to mention the reliability of my limited stock of disks. Now the only issue I have is maintaining a .txt file that lets me know which virtual bank numbers on the emulator drive relate to what disk of what game.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, me too... but I finally succumbed to change last year and replaced the floppy drive in my DoctorSF7 with a floppy emulator drive that now contains several hundred virtual floppys on a usb stick. Hooking up an external floppy drive to my pc to copy split games spanned across up to four disks was a major PITA, not to mention the reliability of my limited stock of disks. Now the only issue I have is maintaining a .txt file that lets me know which virtual bank numbers on the emulator drive relate to what disk of what game.

I use A Super Wild Card DX 2 With an Iomega Zip 100 Parallel port drive. 96mb stores enough snes games per disk. Multi-flopppy spanning games are pain. I horded some extra zip drives to since only the original model works with it.

Reactions: duwen

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I use A Super Wild Card DX 2 With an Iomega Zip 100 Parallel port drive. 96mb stores enough snes games per disk. Multi-flopppy spanning games are pain. I horded some extra zip drives to since only the original model works with it.
I considered the zipdisk option (just because it would put the stack of zipdisks I have to use), but I only have usb Iomega drives and buying one with parallel port connections was more expensive than the floppy emulator.
...plus, the floppy emulator matches the theme of the device and console nicely...
Image275_zpsnd2xaisj.jpg

bananapi761

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I still have a box of floppy disks, I can't remember what they were used for, but the labels suggest they were old software and recovery tools for Windows and Mac. I have an old '95 Macintosh but the floppy drive doesn't work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb