GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm veryyyyy very unlucky
I was still testing things, I brought an old VGA monitor to test the VGA output of the mother board.
I connected it to the mother board.
I switched ON the power on the power bloc, and PAF the power bloc just died with a clacking sound (probably a condensator?)

So, now I'm wondering if my APC is working correctly...
Maybe it's sending too much power?
Or I'm very unlucky ?
it's starting to get me crazy

I could call the electricity company, but I have a the APC which should regulate the voltage, it shouldn't happen.

Reactions: Deleted User

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah, I'm wonderinf if the APC is causing all those issues.
I don't know how to check, I don't have a voltmeter. (should I buy one?)
Or maybe call an electrician, or my house's owner and explain it's frying many devices

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
good idea, asking the ower to ask for an electrician.
I don't know if he will do, or if he will like the idea, but at least telling him about my issue, I'll see what he thinks about it.

Maybe he could tell me if the previous person had a similar issue.

edit:
I have many different opinion, and suggestions. I don't know what to do or who to listen.
either contact the PC seller to ask for the warranty (but it was bought from internet, in pre-build form so I would have to send it back entirely). Even if I don't send it fully, I still don't know what's not working. Mother board, or graphic card, or power supply.... or CPU or RAM ... I don't have other parts to test them all one by one myself.

So I think I'll bring the PC to a computer shop in my town and see if they can find the cause. I can't do it myself this time, and it's very hard to me to not understand what's wrong. I usually can fix things myself, and help every one else.

I thought about buying a new mother board, but if it's not the probleme, I might brick (fry) it too ...
I wanted to by a new TV And PS4 ... but if the issue is the electricity, I could fry them too.....
I don't want to risk frying new things.

Maybe it's my APC ...
I have a 700VA, I might buy a new one (1500VA). but it's expansive.

Last edited by Cyan,

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
good idea, asking the ower to ask for an electrician.
I don't know if he will do, or if he will like the idea, but at least telling him about my issue, I'll see what he thinks about it.

Maybe he could tell me if the previous person had a similar issue.

edit:
I have many different opinion, and suggestions. I don't know what to do or who to listen.
either contact the PC seller to ask for the warranty (but it was bought from internet, in pre-build form so I would have to send it back entirely). Even if I don't send it fully, I still don't know what's not working. Mother board, or graphic card, or power supply.... or CPU or RAM ... I don't have other parts to test them all one by one myself.

So I think I'll bring the PC to a computer shop in my town and see if they can find the cause. I can't do it myself this time, and it's very hard to me to not understand what's wrong. I usually can fix things myself, and help every one else.

I thought about buying a new mother board, but if it's not the probleme, I might brick (fry) it too ...
I wanted to by a new TV And PS4 ... but if the issue is the electricity, I could fry them too.....
I don't want to risk frying new things.

Maybe it's my APC ...
I have a 700VA, I might buy a new one (1500VA). but it's expansive.
I think the safest way to approach this would be contacting an electrician to look at the house, and the APC. He also might have some insight on your non working devices. I'd also contact the PC seller and see what he has to say. Then just take it from there :)

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I contacted my electricity company, they will check with the technical center and contact me back.
The woman said it's probably power surge seing many devices and even light bulb are dead for the past 10 days, if that's the case I can contact my assurance and see with them etc.

I also sent a mail to my PC seller today, I'll get an answer soon, I hope I can get it fixed and don't need to pay for it again ( 1300$ is too much... one time is enough)

I think I'll buy a new tv and PS4
I might still send the PS4 back to sony, having it back would be a plus.

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I contacted my electricity company, they will check with the technical center and contact me back.
The woman said it's probably power surge seing many devices and even light bulb are dead for the past 10 days, if that's the case I can contact my assurance and see with them etc.

I also sent a mail to my PC seller today, I'll get an answer soon, I hope I can get it fixed and don't need to pay for it again ( 1300$ is too much... one time is enough)

I think I'll buy a new tv and PS4
I might still send the PS4 back to sony, having it back would be a plus.

the APC has a 100 000€ insurance!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah, if it's the APC, but if it's still working it's strange that it's a power surge.
I just think it's bad luck (too much bad luck), unless APC doesn't protect against too big power surge, but I think it should. (or else it would be HS too)

I will have to wait for my electricity company report anyway.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
If you're lucky, your consoles' power bricks took the brunt of the surge and THOSE need replaced. Worth a try, and cheaper too. Sorry about your losses though, Cyan. :(

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have some news.
Good news, as good as they can be.

I could diagnose my mother board by connecting a different monitor.
It works with the new monitor !!

So, at least, I know my mother board is fine (damn, I reset the BIOS, I'll have to configure it again. I don't remember all the values)
My RAM and processor are both correctly detected.
And .... the mother board does NOT bip at all at boot .... I guess the buzzer is dead, or deactivated?

So, I could find the issue :
My monitor is dead. Ahah, another dead hardware....

dead:
Monitor
TV
PS4
Video card
(maybe PSVR, but I don't think)

Working:
I hope my HDD ! that's not what is making some noise. it was the fan in the HDD bay.

waiting:
new tv 4k
PS4 Pro

I hope I can boot my OS again.
I could use the video card test (old nvidia 8800gs), but I'll wait for the new video card to be the same model to prevent Windows reactivation (really a bad thing u_u) and drivers issue.

I didn't thought my video card fried my dvi monitor too, I thought only the hdmi were affected.
frying video cards are really dangerous for all connected devices. even the one switched off, not in standby!

Last edited by Cyan,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you all of you.

I got my new tv this evening. I'll unbox it and enjoy it.
I'll get my new PS4 saturday.

I contacted my reseller, and even if they don't want to let me use the warranty (not sure why, saying "you used it of 1.5 years so it's not a defect, 2 years warranty doesn't apply" ... then why make them 2 years long if it can't cover defects that long?)
They are least were kind to help me and answer my questions. They contacted the graphic card maker, sent them my serial number in hope the maker will accept a (free) replacement. the card is 220€ ! would be great if I get a free replacement.

until then, I now have an old graphic card and old monitor, it will be good enough, I spent too much money this month. No switch for me on release day!

Reactions: Madridi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: