Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster versions of 1, 2, and 3 to launch at the end of July

header.jpg

Square Enix's track record of re-releasing classic Final Fantasy games hasn't been the greatest in recent years. However, the company hopes to change that with Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster, a set of updated versions of each of the first six Final Fantasy titles. The first three Final Fantasy entries have been revealed to launch at the end of this month--Final Fantasy I, II, and III will all be available on PC and mobile on July 28th. IV through VI will be launching later this year, though they lack a solid release date.

Additionally, the current Steam and mobile versions of Final Fantasy I, II, V and VI will be delisted on July 27th, as to not confuse buyers. These versions launched in 2015, and featured completely redone character portraits and new stylized graphics, which were controversial at the time.

The original FINAL FANTASY comes to life with completely new graphics and audio as a 2D pixel remaster!

A remodeled 2D take on the first game in the world-renowned FINAL FANTASY series! Enjoy the timeless story told through charming retro graphics. All the magic of the original, with improved ease of play.

Earth, fire, water, wind... The light that once shone within the four Crystals was lost. Darkness covered the land, until the only hope for humanity rested in legends past. Become the Warriors of Light and embark on your own journey to restore power to the Crystals and save the world.

Switch between classes to improve your characters. Traverse the wide world with your airship and other vessels. Return to the game that started it all.

KEY FEATURES:
  • Universally updated 2D pixel graphics, including the iconic FINAL FANTASY character designs created by Kazuko Shibuya, the original artist and current collaborator.
  • Beautifully rearranged soundtrack in a faithful FINAL FANTASY style, overseen by original composer Nobuo Uematsu.
  • Improved gameplay, including modernized UI, auto-battle options, and more!
  • Dive into the world of the game with supplemental extras like the bestiary, illustration gallery, and music player.

ss_270e296a9a7eb3d385eee10b5457b3529d793f78.600x338.jpg ss_593e7fc2c0934273e05afe5a3de3f9a9b0d34cc9.600x338.jpg ss_782504400aa8a8c830409d6c7c059e98bceb7158.600x338.jpg

As to what you can expect from Pixel Remaster, Square Enix claims that these graphics are "completely updated", with designs done by the original character designer and artist, and will include rearranged versions of Nobuo Uematsu's soundtrack. Gameplay-wise, the games will have modernized UI, auto battle options, and new extras such as a music player and bestiary.

:arrow: Source

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It looks well done but that bland font is a weird choice, I expect that to get modded within minutes of release.
I'm not an RPG/Final Fantasy person so I'm not invested in these, but the "pixel remaster" idea is a nice one that could be good for various games if done well.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks well done but that bland font is a weird choice, I expect that to get modded within minutes of release.
I'm not an RPG/Final Fantasy person so I'm not invested in these, but the "pixel remaster" idea is a nice one that could be good for various games if done well.

Agreed on the font. THe font's the ONLY weakpoint and people have been making fun of SQEXs fonts since the Chrono Trigger Steam Release.

Reactions: hippy dave

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It looks better than what I thought.
I'm also curious about FFVI, it seems they added new background?
I'm currently playing the patched GBA version for the first time, I'll have to test that new "pixel perfect" version now...

At least, I'm happy they didn't change the sprites too much. (unlike Legend of mana which look ugly with original pixelated sprites)

I'm always wondering why old games are still expansive when all the work already happened and has been completed years ago, and they didn't have to pay as much devs for an HD/remaster. (this is not a remake, not a new game, they have the same source code, script, etc.)

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Draxikor

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will I check these out? Ehh....maybe. I've played FF 1-4 on the PSP, and currently working my way on FF 5 and 6 Advance with patches, so we'll see what these remakes will offer.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Here we go again.

These do look okay, though. Massively overpriced, though... and Square only does 50% discounts tops, so half of that is as little as it will ever cost.

Last edited by MarkDarkness,

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am actually kind of excited for 3. I love the 3D version but I wanna play this 2D version. I know there are fan translations of the 2D games but I want to try this one
Yes, this is the main one I'm interested in too. It's also the only one without a previous official 2D version in English and the only one that wasn't already 16 bit or with a 16 bit style remake as well, so basically all new or at least something close to that even if it was just cobbled together with assets from the others.

Reactions: The Catboy

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks better than what I thought.
I'm also curious about FFVI, it seems they added new background?
I'm currently playing the patched GBA version for the first time, I'll have to test that new "pixel perfect" version now...

At least, I'm happy they didn't change the sprites too much. (unlike Legend of mana which look ugly with original pixelated sprites)

I'm always wondering why old games are still expansive when all the work already happened and has been completed years ago, and they didn't have to pay as much devs for an HD/remaster. (this is not a remake, not a new game, they have the same source code, script, etc.)
They completely redid the sprites. The color balance is different on the characters, which make some parts stick out more. New detailing lines (IE: the top of the exhaust pipe on the Magitek armors) are included to make some things stick out more and less rounded. They added new detailing to the ground and other small differences throughout the whole.

Basically put this isn't some upscale or rescale, they have indeed resprited everything or forsaking that, completely retuned the colors to make everything feel more detailed and less blurred.

My key examples here using the two images I posted include the Magitek Armors. You can compare the color difference between the Heels and notice there is a noticeable difference.

I made these for a discord for example, the HDPR version and the original sprite ripped from the games.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Seeing as the 2nd is a DIRECT SPRITE RIP (edit: from Spriter's Resource), that means there is no game engine or console graphics chips tomfoolery, that is 100% how the sprite looks in the original design.

And with just that you can see how the colors are more blurry and muddy. The exhaust like I said is more rounded and looks more like gunbarrels, and the helmets look more dull, like they're more a resistance movement.

Last edited by VartioArtel,

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are people comparing it to the PS1/PSP/GBA versions? The sprites are clearly meant to be based on the original NES/SNES versions, not the PSP/GBA sprites. Or thank god not the Mobile sprites (compare the '2013' Butz and Faris to the old ones and you'll see my point, they're horrendous)

The idea is they're meant to be true-to-essence upgrades of the original releases, not a redesign (IE: FF1 PS1) and definitely not an abomination ("FF5-2013", "FF6-2014").

The idea is these are supposed to be the original games with vastly improved graphical fidelity and redone spritework. Not a redone version of the PS1/GBA/Etc versions.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
With all the re make/master of these games we can already get awesome experience, like the GBA version of V and VI with the SNES music patch, The 3D remakes on the DS of III and IV were also pretty neat.
As long as you avoid the mobile version which are the worst and were even ported to steam ffs rofl.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Enjoy the shitty audio compression and longer loading times

Steam version looks like hot trash

Actually the PS1 versions were direct ports with some extras throw in. THE PS1 version of FF 1 and FF2 even rank HIGHTER that the Nes version by agregatng score reviews. I am talking about Final Fantasy Origins.

The third game? Well the DS port is okay I guess.

Final Fantasy IV, I got the one that came with Chrono Trigger for PS1, is two CDs, and is a decent direct port with some videos to fill CD space.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually the PS1 versions were direct ports with some extras throw in. THE PS1 version of FF 1 and FF2 even rank HIGHTER that the Nes version by agregatng score reviews. I am talking about Final Fantasy Origins.

The third game? Well the DS port is okay I guess.

Final Fantasy IV, I got the one that came with Chrono Trigger for PS1, is two CDs, and is a decent direct port with some videos to fill CD space.

And FFV with the garbage Engrish translation and really muffled sound effects.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Float like a butterfly burns when I pee lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So does that mean your date was not good? It burns now?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got two new stds in one night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Giggity
    +1
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    I don't bite! Minus the times when I did bite
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    Like 5 minutes ago
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Billie needs her lunch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs papa brought back the cheeseburger pizza it's like the only decent pie they had since the 80s
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm not a fan of papa johns, but that does sound good. We hardly order out pizza, I like making my own, but when we do its donatoes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get them like once every two months anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because it's half a mile from where I live
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Request next time you order, that Shaq deliver it to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want him to buy me a chain also
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Open it right next to the one we have
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys should i make a new thread and just count the amount of posts until kyle, luke or leo joins the thread for fun?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kyle's fine, just waiting for that wario joke

luke and leo though, they yap until the thread's enjoyability is about halved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo is Luke's alterego when he gets hard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Luke is gone, he got banned. And I'm surprised Leo hasn't yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Subway was actually pretty decent tonight
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut you get, a seafood and psi salad sub
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi had my footlong meatball special
    +1
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: