Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Series coming to Switch and PS4 on April 19

final-fantasy-pixel-remaster-cjx9496cw.jpg

Originally released on PC and mobile last year, the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster series will be coming to Switch and PlayStation 4 on April 19, 2023. Available for individual purchase or as a bundle, this series brings the six NES and SNES Final Fantasy titles to modern platforms with new pixel art designed for HD monitors. The console release will have the same features as last year's release; namely, the updated pixel art, as well as several optional enhancements, like a new orchestral soundtrack, a different font, the ability to turn off random encounters and EXP multipliers.

While pre-orders aren't yet available for the PlayStation 4, the pre-orders on the Nintendo eShop show that the console release will maintain the same controversial price point as the PC release. Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II are $11.99 USD, while the other four will be $17.99 USD each. The bundle for all six games will cost $74.99 USD.

:arrow: Source

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
so what...
i preordered the switch version collection and i got a gba cart of ff5, my fave and the one i played primarily
nothing will change
i will play the version i want (probably a snes rom) on the platform i want (excluding the unmodded platforms in my hardware stable)

this is basically like the neogeo humble bundle: now i payed for it at least once
it's just a shame that the ff4 after years is not included in the collection, but that is playable on the wii

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Didn't realize you could get on a waiting list. I just did so for the basic package. The 35th anniversary edition is a total ripoff.
The basic package is a ripoff.

I'll pay for 6, just to show that I'm willing to pay for more of it. I'll play the rest for *free.

Reactions: godreborn

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
As someone who's never played any of these games, can you explain what's missing compared to other rereleases?
Remakes such as the GBA and PSP versions of the games added some bonus content, like end/post game dungeons, extra classes or super bosses, stuff like that. But honestly it's nothing that indispensable.

Aren't these those hideous mobile versions with the absolutely DISGUSTING fonts and menus?
No, the pixel remaster versions are a million times better than the mobile versions.

Reactions: kcajjones

Ruryk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I wonder if it's really worth playing them in this version over the PSPs "remaster" and even the GBA's VI with the SNes music patch. Nevertheless, it's another one to adquire (and maybe never play, since Zelda TotK is coming).

WraithTDK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And they still haven't bothered fixing the font issues. God, that'd be horrendous in handheld mode.
Yes they did. You can change the font between original or an update version that looks far better.

The remake on the gba is solid. And the re-release on the psp is even better. This new release will be better. I have high hopes.
You know it's been out for like a year on Steam, right? They're just porting it to consoles.

Aren't these those hideous mobile versions with the absolutely DISGUSTING fonts and menus?
No, they're they're completely remade versions that were release on Steam last year. Aside from the admittedly notable exclusion of extra content like FFIV: The After Years, they're the best versions of the games so far IMO.

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I really wish there was a way to enjoy the 20th Anniversary editions of Final Fantasy I & II without relying on PPSSPP or digging out my PSP or Vita, I'm personally not a fan of the Pixel Remaster and like the extra dungeons that those versions had.

Reactions: tabzer

McPringles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they have though
Fs_HfAZaQAAX9Jf

Yes they did. You can change the font between original or an update version that looks far better.
The problem is that fonts in just about all of the menus and UIs are too tiny - almost nothing takes up more than 40% or so of the available horizontal space, leaving most strings barely legible and the UI itself looking comically oversized. If adding in a larger font - or even just an option for a larger font - was possible, even at the cost of having to vertically scroll the menus if the text was too much taller, I'd take it any day of the week. It's incredibly jarring when it's contrasted with the larger font used for stat/UI numbers.

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Best version of 4 is the PSP The Complete Collection. FF1&2, FF3 (3d remake) are also better on PSP. Those games run perfectly on ppsspp. 5 & 6 are ok though if they're both 10 bucks each. Playing them with an actual controller should be nice too.

Reactions: Ruryk and tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The problem is that fonts in just about all of the menus and UIs are too tiny - almost nothing takes up more than 40% or so of the available horizontal space, leaving most strings barely legible and the UI itself looking comically oversized. If adding in a larger font - or even just an option for a larger font - was possible, even at the cost of having to vertically scroll the menus if the text was too much taller, I'd take it any day of the week. It's incredibly jarring when it's contrasted with the larger font used for stat/UI numbers.

Are you complaining about something you've actually seen? The font issue (that was news two years ago) is being addressed in the Switch/PS4 versions. Is the new version better or worse?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto