Atlus's new RPG Project re Fantasy finally officially announced as Metaphor: ReFantazio

Six years ago, Atlus announced a new upcoming JRPG project. Codenamed Project re Fantasy, it was set to be a collaboration between Atlus and Studio Zero, the former of which was being lead by Katsura Hashino, the writer and director of the Persona series and Catherine. News on its development has been fairly quiet, with minor updates to the project being announced at various Tokyo Games Shows throughout the years. But now, during Xbox's 2023 Games Showcase, we finally have a big update.

The game now has an official title, Metaphor: ReFantazio, and features not only Hashino on board, but Persona series artist Shigenori Soejima and Persona composer Shoji Meguro will also be a part of the project as well. It looks and sounds quite a lot like Shin Megami Tensei and Persona. Metaphor: ReFantazio is set for a western release in 2024, and will at least be available on Xbox Series X|S and Windows.

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I 'member Megura wanted to make his own studio and his own game. They must be gone in development and covid hell by now.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The presentation of this is mind blowing? Is this the most stylish game of all time?
One of the best trailers in a long time on a re-watch, if nothing else. Looks like it's still designed to run on last-gen hardware, but that allows the extra horsepower of next-gen consoles and PCs to add all the post-processing effects and lighting/shading which look so damn amazing here.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird that it just says "Windows," though. They're gonna miss out on a LOT of pre-orders and early sales if they don't put it on Steam for some stupid reason. Perfect game for Deck.
They probably will because no matter how much they try to improve the Windows Store, it's still garbage.

On Windows PCs I don't like using it so I always try to uninstall/remove it although there's a chance that shit will get reinstalled with the next update (if it's Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC there's no Windows Store at all).

Reactions: k7ra and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They probably will because no matter how much they try to improve the Windows Store, it's still garbage.

On Windows PCs I don't like using it so I always try to uninstall/remove it although there's a chance that shit will get reinstalled with the next update (if it's Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC there's no Windows Store at all).
Do they not also sell games through the Xbox app on PC now? Or is that only for playing Game Pass stuff? Either way, it makes far more sense to take advantage of all the extra marketing Steam provides, not to mention the massive RPG-hungry user base.

Reactions: eternal

eternal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope it is windows AND ssteam like some are speculating. Windows store is indeed garbage. But looks like a buy for me, if its on steam day one :)

Reactions: Xzi

Kevbo

Professional Dumbass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oooh, this looks exciting! I don't think they will sell this through the Microsoft Store. At worst it gets sold on the Xbox App for PC. Selling your work on the Microsoft Store is like selling your work on the Play Store.

Reactions: eternal

McPringles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the same as the Persona port trailers last year, they're not going to announce the other platforms immediately because Microsoft paid them not to. Obviously it'll be on the MS Store for Windows, but no reason to believe it won't also be on Steam.

Reactions: Kevbo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps