Fans Petition to have character named after Christina Grimmie in new Zelda game

hqdefault.jpg

Fans of the late Christina Grimmie are petitioning to have a character named after the singer in the upcoming Zelda game, Breath of the Wild. Grimmie was very vocal fan of the Zelda series, frequently tweeting and posting YouTube videos about it.

Her fans have taken to change.org to immortalize the former The Voice contestant. Two petitions have been created with one nearing 60 000 supporters and the other with over 17 000 supporters.

A spokesperson for Nintendo told TIME in a statement, “we are aware of the outpouring of support for her, as well as the petition, but we won’t be making any creative or content decisions in this time of mourning.”

The situation sounds similar to fans' petition to have a Robin Williams tribute in the upcoming Zelda. Only time will tell how/if Nintendo will listen to their fans' plea.

:arrow:SOURCE

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wouldnt even be the same game... It be called the legend on grimmie. And the ending would be a sad one, she'd get shot at the end and theres no way of saving her...

(just saying..... no offense to her fans)

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why are people politicising this?

"Look at the youth of today"/"Starting petitions about anything"/"Not focusing on real issues"

What in God's name are you talking about? Why is anyone taking this personally? It would be a nice gesture if it worked out that hurts literally no one. I'm also not upset that it didn't happen. It doesn't really matter

Edit: Also petitions have no requirement to be of a certain global/political magnitude. Could be anything as long as enough people want it and can express that in unison.

Last edited by Lucifer666,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Why are people politicising this?

"Look at the youth of today"/"Starting petitions about anything"/"Not focusing on real issues"

What in God's name are you talking about? Why is anyone taking this personally? It would be a nice gesture if it worked out that hurts literally no one. I'm also not upset that it didn't happen. It doesn't really matter

Edit: Also petitions have no requirement to be of a certain global/political magnitude. Could be anything as long as enough people want it and can express that in unison.
It has been stated why this is a bad idea countless times before already. Basically, you let one in, the rest want in too.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No disrespect to this individual but how is she specifically so special among the million other LoZ fans out there.

My grandfather died last year and he played the original NES game, can we petition for him next to get recognized by Nintendo? After all he served in WWII so fuck everyone else.

No disrespect too but yeah, precisely!

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nintendo is a japanese company. do you really think nintendo ever gave two fucks about anything, let alone a person who died?

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a petition has to be started to memorialize someone in a game does it even mean anything at that point? Not like if you see her in game you're gonna be like, "Nintendo cares! <3<3<3" you're gonna be like, "The petition worked! They didn't care enough to put her in without a petition, but it worked!"

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
She's the singer who was recently murdered after a concert a couple of days ago.
That's fair - I personally never heard of her. She made a couple of covers, that's nice, I suppose, but she had no influence over the creative process. It would make more sense if whatever talent show shot her into stardom commemorated her because there's some relevance there, or at least association. I'm a fan of a bunch of things, should I be a character in those IP's too when I pass away? I have a problem with fans demanding some form of tribute from the artists for whatever reason, regardless of whether the subject was dear to the authors or not. While LoZ is considered a cultural property at this point, much like Star Wars, I feel that it's inappropriate and pushy.

Blue Lamb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once again, why do "celebrities" get the exception? If one of my family members died, would you give a shit? Probably not. They wouldn't report it on the news nor would I be asking devs left and right to add them in a game.

"My cousin loved Pokemon, so can you add her to Pokemon Sun/Moon?"

Why do people feel so sensitive over stuff that doesn't affect them? Her death will not affect you, you most likely never even knew her before she was murdered.

(I know, I probably sound cold, but it's reality.)
Have your family members positively inspired as many people as a celebrity? Probably not so that's why we don't give a fuck about them if they die. But these people petitioning do care, but you can be an asshole about it if you want to.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have your family members positively inspired as many people as a celebrity? Probably not so that's why we don't give a fuck about them if they die. But these people petitioning do care, but you can be an asshole about it if you want to.
Christina was inspiring because...? You have the right to not give a fuck about my family, while I have the right not to give a fuck about Christina. Same logic.

Besides, the people here have spoken. Christina doesn't deserve to be in the a Zelda game.
If Christina is put into a Zelda game, I will also be expecting to see "KingBlank" as a character =)
Hay gois, I wanna be in tha nxt zooda gam so plz soin my penzion http://tiny.cc/tgugcy

DesuIsSparta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unlike others in this thread, I'm not going to disrespect her nor attempt to undermine the tragedy. That said, these fans are ridiculous.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll be the first to jump on board and say petitions are a hilarious waste of time and effort, but this thread really shows a lot about how shit humanity has become.
She was a talented young woman who was a fan of the game, and she wasn't even the one to start these petitions. it was her fandom. Yet there are dozens of toxic posts belittling and insulting her like it's her fault her fans tried to do something nice as a tribute to her. You're actual human garbage if this was you. Get over yourselves.

Others insulting the fans, hey whatever floats your boat. Just another day on the internet for that one. I find it kind of cute in a futile sense that they'd try to do something like that. It's Nintendo, there's just no chance they'd do anything. The petition could have 10 million unique signatures and I doubt Nintendo would bat an eyelash. They've completely lost touch with their fanbase in general so a gesture like that would be literally impossible to see happen.

EDIT: Though honestly an NPC named "Grimmie" would probably fit in the game, thinking now.
EDIT EDIT: Btw I came into this thread not having a damn clue who this girl was.

Last edited by Hells Malice,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...