Bayonetta voice actress asks fans to boycott Bayonetta 3 after low pay controversy

asdadsasdadsadsd.png

Voice actress Hellena Taylor, known for playing Bayonetta, has taken to Twitter to dispute a claim made by PlatinumGames. Earlier this month, it was revealed that the role of Bayonetta had been recast, and that Jennifer Hale would be taking over for Hellena Taylor, because of scheduling conflicts making it difficult to reprise the role, at least according to PlatinumGames. However, shortly after that announcement, Taylor posted a series of video messages on Twitter, explaining that the decision had nothing to do with any difficulties in regard to timing or scheduling, and instead was due to the fact that Platinum offered only $4,000 for her to voice act the entire game. She then asked for Bayonetta fans to boycott the game, and instead take the money they would have spent purchasing the game, and donate it to a charity.

I understand that boycotting this game is a personal choice and there are those that won’t, and that’s fine. But, if you are someone who cares about people, who cares about the world around you, who cares about who gets hurt with these financial decisions, then I urge you to boycott this game.

Taylor says she only wanted a livable wage for her performance and fair payment for the time and effort that voicing the protagonist of a video game franchise that has sold over $450 million dollars. PlatinumGames had made Taylor reaudition for the role of Bayonetta, because "sometimes voices change with time", but she was once more chosen to voice the title character in Bayonetta 3. After she was given the part, though, she was given "an insulting offer" by the company. This prompted Taylor to send a letter to the director of Bayonetta 3, Hideki Kamiya, who sent her back a "final offer" of $4,000 to voice all the lines in the game.

She also spoke about Jennifer Hale, who will be the voice of Bayonetta in the upcoming game, and that she wishes her well, but that she also believes that Hale "has no right to say she is Bayonetta". Taylor mentioned that speaking up about this was a breach of her non-disclosure agreement, but that she has nothing of monetary value to be taken, so she decided to speak up.

Hideki Kamiya responded to the claims with a chain of various Tweets, and a wave of blocking people who Tweeted at him--something he is known to do--to the point that it got him temporarily restricted on the platform. His main reply to Taylor was, "Sad and deplorable about the attitude of untruth. That's what all I can tell now. By the way, BEWARE OF MY RULES", and while the latter half of the message sounds like a threat, it is moreso likely referring to Kamiya's tendency to block Twitter users for breaking his "rules".

People online were upset by this, and some even were blaming Jennifer Hale for taking the role at all. Hale has not yet made any comment on the matter, though she has notably liked numerous Tweets that claim she can't speak on the matter due to NDAs, or that she was unaware of the drama in the first place when she was cast. Other voice actors in the video game industry offered their input, such as Sean Chiplock, who said the $4000 appeared to be "union rate", and that he was paid "approx 2,000-3,000" for his work voicing Revali, Teba, and the Great Deku Tree in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Meanwhile, he says his two offscreen lines in the film Detective Pikachu earned him more money than his work on BOTW, and that even voicing characters in the indie game Freedom Planet was worth more than the voicing roles in BOTW, because unlike video game voice acting work, he was given sales royalties from the role.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hideki Kamiya responded to the claims with a chain of various Tweets, and a wave of blocking people who Tweeted at him--something he is known to do--to the point that it got him temporarily restricted on the platform. His main reply to Taylor was, "Sad and deplorable about the attitude of untruth. That's what all I can tell now. By the way, BEWARE OF MY RULES", and while the latter half of the message sounds like a threat, it is moreso likely referring to Kamiya's tendency to block Twitter users for breaking his "rules".
Since yesterday, Kamiya's account has since been deleted:
1665942125118.png

Kamiya got blocked from Twitter :rofl2:

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw her video earlier on YouTube.

Game developers create the characters, but nowadays it's voice actors who bring them to life. Matter of fact it's why I love Splinter Cell / Sam Fisher as he's voiced by Michael Ironside and no one else comes close (they tried with Blacklist and failed).

Am saddened that Bayonetta's VA was paid so little, likely done on purpose so she'd refuse it. $4k for all that talent? Shame on them.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
There is something more to the story. They don't just hire a much more experienced VA that absolutely will cost a shit ton more.
I read on Reddit it's apparently common courtesy to low-ball offer instead of "fire" you. Since it seems a Japanese person would understand and say "This won't work out". So it's a culture clash it seems.

Also, she in no way own Bayonetta. She can't claim her as her own.....

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Lets boycott all the devs that worked they ass off to make the game because she didnt like the offer.

They made her an offer she said no, i dont get why the internet is even showing interest in this at all.

Lets say i was a Gardner and i was paid 50$ to do some house garden for a couple of years, then the owner said next year i will only pay you 30$ and i said no, and another worker too the offer, i wouldnt go to the streets saying to never do his garden and boycott it...

bodefuceta

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What a cute, special snowflake. Totally deserves whatever she thinks it's worth, who cares about free markets, or the peasants who have to face free market instead of making bank for reading a script to a microphone. We should all support her quest for riches. All those companies who actually make things happen are evil for not understanding this.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
There is something more to the story. They don't just hire a much more experienced VA that absolutely will cost a shit ton more.
I read on Reddit it's apparently common courtesy to low-ball offer instead of "fire" you. Since it seems a Japanese person would understand and say "This won't work out". So it's a culture clash it seems.

Also, she in no way own Bayonetta. She can't claim her as her own.....
This... There's something more to this story that we don't know. To come out and plead with gamers to not support the game is fine... However, what's the reason for pushing her out? Hale isn't some B-List VA, so they weren't looking for a cheaper alternative. It's also not like they would just opt to replace a repeat VA of a known character just to get someone else. Something isn't right here...

MasterPanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Maybe in the new game they are trying to pull a Metal Gear Solid 2 and Bayonetta happens to only have 50 new voice lines in total (grunts, moans and battle banter could be recycled from older games in the franchise to some extent) ... 80$ per voice line doesn't sound bad to me...

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This... There's something more to this story that we don't know. To come out and plead with gamers to not support the game is fine... However, what's the reason for pushing her out? Hale isn't some B-List VA, so they weren't looking for a cheaper alternative. It's also not like they would just opt to replace a repeat VA of a known character just to get someone else. Something isn't right here...
i bet the conversation could have been like this hey you accept 4k to do bayo 3? she was like no. they said how much then? she said something around 20k, then platinum tough well for 20k we can probably hire hale for 15k and still get a very good job and they did.

We dont know how much she asked for, she never revealled that part and hale for sure didnt take 4k, so her value was probably much higher than hale for whatever reason she tough she was safe being 2 games in imo.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
i bet the conversation could have been like this hey you accept 4k to do bayo 3? she was like no. they said how much then? she said something around 20k, then platinum tough well for 20k we can probably hire hale for 15k and still get a very good job and they did.

We dont know how much she asked for, she never revealled that part and hale for sure didnt take 4k, so her value was probably much higher than hale for whatever reason she tough she was safe being 2 games in imo.
They lowballed her. It's very clear they wanted her out, but why?

Reactions: ChronoTrig and Xzi

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They lowballed her. It's very clear they wanted her out, but why?
maybe they wanted someone with more experience? maybe they wanted something different? heck we dont even know if bayo has that many lines, maybe they are killing her and replacing her with some other universe version of bayo so the original bayo has very few voice lines and they wanted diferent VA for different bayos? who knows.

I saw her video earlier on YouTube.

Game developers create the characters, but nowadays it's voice actors who bring them to life. Matter of fact it's why I love Splinter Cell / Sam Fisher as he's voiced by Michael Ironside and no one else comes close (they tried with Blacklist and failed).

Am saddened that Bayonetta's VA was paid so little, likely done on purpose so she'd refuse it. $4k for all that talent? Shame on them.
i got all splinter cell games on every console i own and while i liked the original va having a different va doesnt prevent me from liking a game or purchasing it, people shouldnt get stuck in time imo, people change all the tims on movies and games.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
maybe they wanted someone with more experience? maybe they wanted something different? heck we dont even know if bayo has that many lines, maybe they are killing her and replacing her with some other universe version of bayo so the original bayo has very few voice lines and they wanted diferent VA for different bayos? who knows.
You're right, we don't know. That's what makes this situation all the stranger. They really let her voice the titular character for this long and choose NOW to want someone new? It doesn't add up, no matter how you spin it.

Reactions: CompSciOrBust

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright