Fanmade PC port of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening remakes the game in HD, with widescreen support

5123uH+zRgL._SL500_.jpg

Nintendo's recent remake of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening received highly positive reviews and did well commercially, however, many fans weren't happy with the remake, citing bad performance and controversial stylistic choices. So, a fan has taken it upon themselves to create an authentic, improved Link's Awakening experience. A user going by the rather apt name "linksawakeningdxhd" dropped a complete remake of the game, built to run on PC. It features a ton of improvements on the original game, including widescreen, support for up to 120fps, and no area transitions. This last aspect allows for the entire map of Link's Awakening DX to act as one seamless area, to the point of being able to zoom the camera out to see the entirety of the game world all at once.

You can grab the game from itch.io, and watch the trailer made by the creator of the remake, which showcases the PC port in all its glory.

Dive into the enchanting world of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX as you've never experienced it before, with this meticulously crafted PC version that breathes new life into this classic adventure. Immerse yourself in the nostalgia of Koholint Island with enhanced graphics and widescreen support, bringing the charming landscapes and characters to vivid detail on your modern PC display.But that's not all – we've turbocharged the gameplay with high framerate support, ensuring that every sword swing, puzzle solve, and enemy encounter feels smoother and more responsive than ever. Rediscover the magic of this timeless Zelda title with improved performance, letting you explore dungeons, uncover secrets, and engage in epic battles with unparalleled fluidity.Whether you're a long-time fan of Link's Awakening or a newcomer to the series, this PC version offers a fresh take on the beloved classic, combining the essence of the original with cutting-edge enhancements. Embark on a journey across the mysterious island, solve puzzles, meet quirky characters, and relive the adventure with a level of polish and finesse that pays homage to the legendary legacy of The Legend of Zelda.

:arrow: Download

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There was an image a few years ago of an "upscaled" scene from Link's Awakening, with the original GB palette, where Link is in the swamp right outside the Bottle Grotto with the Chain Chomp. I was hoping this "HD" port would look like that.

Oh well, nice work anyway!

ThumpieBunnyEve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Created a mirror upload, just in case™.
Yours is the only accessible option left! linksawakeningdxhd's itch.io site went down;
2023-12-15@01:05 EST and 2 min later any mention of the original creator!
Glad to have recorded it myself a few -seconds- before it went poof!

People should check on this linksawakeningdxhd guy and get a heads up about the situation. Itd make big media.

PS: Works on steam deck. Windows7? not gotten it working yet. i think it might need more then 1 .net framework.

Last edited by ThumpieBunnyEve,

MikaTh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I still don't understand this hate for Nintendo to the point people are getting mad at them for protecting their stuff.
as a longtime nintendo fanboy... they're not protecting their ip. They're only being douches and stuborn over something they don't want to understand. Nintendo with emulation, ports and fangames is like those news outlets back at the day ds was a thing, saying ds pictochat would be used by child molestors to groome children over the internet. If nintendo really want to protect their ip in a productive way, they could always do what fans are already doing, giving us these source ports on pc, and making stuff like this easy to access. I doupt ppl wouldn't pay 5-10 bucks for something like Link's awakening pc hd, or the zelda ocarina source port.
Post automatically merged:

Doesn't work for me I've been plugging it in and out, lol.
If you're playing over anything else that isn't xbox controller, use steam to emulate it. just add it as a none steam game, and activate steam input method on steam overlay.

Reactions: Ligeia

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as a longtime nintendo fanboy... they're not protecting their ip. They're only being douches and stuborn over something they don't want to understand. Nintendo with emulation, ports and fangames is like those news outlets back at the day ds was a thing, saying ds pictochat would be used by child molestors to groome children over the internet. If nintendo really want to protect their ip in a productive way, they could always do what fans are already doing, giving us these source ports on pc, and making stuff like this easy to access. I doupt ppl wouldn't pay 5-10 bucks for something like Link's awakening pc hd, or the zelda ocarina source port.
I'm sorry but what the hell does pictochat has to do with anything? Seeing how they censored things on MiiVerse.

Reactions: Kwyjor

MikaTh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm sorry but what the hell does pictochat has to do with anything? Seeing how they censored things on MiiVerse.
it was a dumb statement by the news outlets at the time that showed their unwillingness to learn about what they were talking about and adapt with the times... just as nintendo do with emulation, fan games/ports, and roms. They could be making a good buck over this scene, but they are wasting their time and money trying to to destroy it, instead of adapting with the new times.

RetroGamer360

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you're playing over anything else that isn't xbox controller, use steam to emulate it. just add it as a none steam game, and activate steam input method on steam

If you're playing over anything else that isn't xbox controller, use steam to emulate it. just add it as a none steam game, and activate steam input method on steam overlay.
Thank you for this! I will try this out!

Reactions: MikaTh

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I doupt ppl wouldn't pay 5-10 bucks for something like Link's awakening pc hd, or the zelda ocarina source port.
And then what? They'll pay $5-10 bucks, and then next time they'll expect to pay the same, or less, if they can be persuaded to pay at all. Look at "Sega Forever"; they can barely even give their games away anymore.

People have spent the last 30 years insisting that Nintendo doesn't know what they're doing, and they they've outlasted a whole bunch of other companies. I think Nintendo understands exactly what they're doing. (They almost certainly understood that everyone and their dog mirrored this game while it was available for download and that they're really not stopping anyone who's even slightly determined from getting their hands on it.)

Last edited by Kwyjor,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson