Hacking Failed chiip install, blinkcode: SSSSSSLS

eddanx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried installing my chiip-programmed chip today, but got blinking code SSSSSSLS which should mean something is wrong with the I or C line. Wii (and the drive) still working properly, though. Opened up the wii again, and went through it all again, double and triple checking that I had connected it correctly. I've followed the instructions on the chiip wiki . Couldn't find anything wrong, so then I tried desoldering the I, C and O lines and soldering them on again (in case of a so called "cold" solder I've read about). Unfortunately, that didn't help.

Next step would be to reprogram the chiip in case something went wrong there, but I don't have a LPT port at home so can't do that right now. Anyone else got any tips?

Here are some pics I took. First one is after first attempt and second one is the second attempt. Does it look ok? Have I destroyed the solder points?

4za98iq.jpg

6csogau.jpg

Thanks for any help, it is very much appreciated!

eddanx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reprogrammed with latest stable and latest beta of Chiip, unfortunately no luck.. I'm about to give up on this, really annoying
smile.gif

eddanx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you sure you got no cut pins or d2c chipset? soldering looks alright...
Thanks for the reply!

Chip on the drives reads G2C-D2B so I guess it's not d2c, then?

Regarding cut pins, do you mean on the actual modchip with it's socket? Can't really see anything wrong. Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter, so I can't check the connections properly. But I'll probably invest in one or try to borrow one today or tomorrow.

Thanks again, lenselijer, very much appriciated!

Edit: Can I try to flash it with the OpenWii firmware without changing soldering points? I've got the ATmega8L-8PU uC DIL28 which should be the right one for OpenWii as well, right?

handiklap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the first pic, is that solder that looks like it's joining the central point and the trace to the right of it? Possibly with the point on the upper left as well. My guess is shorting.

eddanx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys are right, that could be a shorting. I'll see if I can clean it up. Thanks!

Edit: Tried to clean it up to no avail. But I'll get a multimeter tomorrow so I can debug some more.

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You could try OpenWii but probably have the same problem. You mentioned you resoldered the I O and C lines to your Wii, how about on your Chip or Socket, did you make sure you have that hooked up properly?

I would double check everything especially your socket/chip wires.

eddanx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about you take a photo of the chip for us. =D
Under:
4y6aecz.jpg

Over:
4vn1bb7.jpg

I did this rather fast as you can see, but there are no obvious shortings or other errors afaics. The first pic might suggest shortings on the bottom 3 wires, but there are no connections between the three.

If you remove the chip does the Wii still work? I assume yes.

Yes, still works as normal with or without the chip installed. I've of course also tried a couple of backups with it installed, but that fails.

QUOTE(smack @ Aug 14 2007, 01:23 AM)Take a picture of your drive chip, I believe some of the D2B's had cut legs as well.
This good enough?
549b520.jpg

I'm off to get a multimeter now, report back in a couple of hours!

Once again I have to thank you all for your suggestions! This is a really welcoming and extremely helpful forum!

enochw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
How about you take a photo of the chip for us. =D
Under:
4y6aecz.jpg

Over:
4vn1bb7.jpg

I did this rather fast as you can see, but there are no obvious shortings or other errors afaics. The first pic might suggest shortings on the bottom 3 wires, but there are no connections between the three.

If you remove the chip does the Wii still work? I assume yes.

Yes, still works as normal with or without the chip installed. I've of course also tried a couple of backups with it installed, but that fails.

Take a picture of your drive chip, I believe some of the D2B's had cut legs as well.
This good enough?
549b520.jpg

thegame07 pleas answers my reply in the mail

I'm off to get a multimeter now, report back in a couple of hours!

Once again I have to thank you all for your suggestions! This is a really welcoming and extremely helpful forum!

eddanx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. I have a multimeter!

Using it I've now checked each wire going from the modchip to the board, and they're all fine. A nice clean sound indicating a connection from the multimeter for each of them. I've tested all the way from the actual legs on the modchip to the legs on the drive chip (that is, excluding the G and V which I just checked from the modchip and to the actual solder points on the drive).

There are also no shortings. I've tested it for all the wires and all possible alternatives. I've also checked the surrounding solder points on the drive to make sure they are allright too.

I've previously checked (many, many times) that each of the G,V,I,O and C wires go to the right spots, but sometimes you can't see your own mistakes. So.. Desperate as I am, I've "color coded" each wire and hereby give you these pics:

Board:
66btvo3.jpg

Chip (pic 1):
521l5dt.jpg

Chip (pic 2):
53rz4b6.jpg

Any tips on where I go from here? See any legs cut off from the drive chip?

eddanx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It works!

All along it seems it was a problem with flashing the firmware. Flashed it using another friends computer today, and now suddenly it all works!

Thanks to all you guys, hopefully this post at least can help others experiencing problems!

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Great to hear, and after we made you take all those lovely pictures
wink.gif

Hopefully you can get your flashing problem fixed on your own computer although there hasn't been an update in months.

eddanx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hehe, smack
smile.gif

You guys all moved on to another firmware or what? Besides not being able to upgrade by DVD, I don't see anything wrong with chiip. And since there are no updates, it really doesn't matter
smile.gif

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I am still on Chiip mainly cause I am damn low on DVD's and don't wanna waste one on an upgrade disc. I have had few problems with my Chiip other than it misbehaving very rarely. Sometimes after switching games it will not work properly, or upon reset no longer play backups. This has happened maybe 3 times and each time once I unplug the Wii and plug it back in the Chiip has been fine.

I don't play imports or anything so the Chiip has been just fine but I am always open to other options. I have used OpenWii in the past and it works just as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Go gay there I made up his mind
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway +1