JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Captura de pantalla (99).png
I want to know if I have to format my External Hard Drive in order to use it. It's my first time using one and I don't want to lose my data.
I got it because I want to save files from my Laptop directly to this EHD in order to completely format my Laptop.

Any help?

Reactions: Alexander1970

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Im not sure what you mean buddy. the drive should be pretty good to go out the box - you just need to transfer your data you want to save across to it. I'd recommend you unplug the drive when you are format your laptop incase windows does one of it's magic tricks, but it looks like you are good to go.

I would personal Format it to NTFS before you start transferring data ( personal preference) but other than that you are good to go :)

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Im not sure what you mean buddy. the drive should be pretty good to go out the box - you just need to transfer your data you want to save across to it. I'd recommend you unplug the drive when you are format your laptop incase windows does one of it's magic tricks, but it looks like you are good to go.

I would personal Format it to NTFS before you start transferring data ( personal preference) but other than that you are good to go :)

I'm already transfering my data. It's speed fluctuates from 60mb/s to 1mb/s
I think I should've formated it before, but it works fine.
Thanks for replying!

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
no worries buddy, any other questions just inbox me :D - I keep strange hours for a british guy haha
Indeed!

Thanks for your help.
I was confused because I didn't knew if I had to format it in order to transfer files bigger than 4GB... I think this is very different from USB's or SD's. You know, like sometimes flashdrives won't let you transfer files bigger than 4GB's :creep:
I'm already transfering all my data and I'm ready to format my laptop.

Greetings!

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
your on exFAT which is an 'updated' version of Fat32 which has support for >4Gb files among other things - if a USB stick wont let you transfer files bigger than 4gb copy the files to your hard drive and reformat it as NTFS or exFAT

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0