Europe has approved Microsoft's Activision Blizzard acquisition

fuhduisfsd.png

While the UK was in opposition, the EU has taken a more lenient stance, in regards to the Microsoft-Activision Blizzard merger. Less than a month after the UK's market regulators blocked Microsoft's buyout of Activision, the European Commission has decided to allow the merger to go through. Europe's regulators found that even if Microsoft were to stop putting Activision's games on Sony's platforms, it would, "not significantly harm competition in the consoles market."

• Even if Microsoft did decide to withdraw Activision's games from the PlayStation, this would not significantly harm competition in the consoles market. Even if Call of Duty is largely played on console, it is less popular in the EEA than in other regions of the world, and is less popular in the EEA within its genre compared to other markets. Therefore, even without being able to offer this specific game, Sony could leverage its size, extensive games catalogue and market position to fend off any attempt to weaken its competitive position.

There is a caveat, though. In order for the deal to go through, Microsoft must license Activision Blizzard's game library to other cloud streaming service competitors, and will be in effect for all regions, not just European markets. The license would be in effect for a minimum of ten years, and would allow owners of Activision Blizzard games to use cloud gaming to stream the games to their platform of choosing.

To address the competition concerns identified by the Commission in the market for the distribution of PC and console games via cloud game streaming services, Microsoft offered the following comprehensive licensing commitments, with a 10-year duration:

• A free license to consumers in the EEA that would allow them to stream, via any cloud game streaming services of their choice, all current and future Activision Blizzard PC and console games for which they have a license.
  • A corresponding free license to cloud game streaming service providers to allow EEA-based gamers to stream any Activision Blizzard's PC and console games.

:arrow: Source

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I've hated Microsoft since the 1990's, lol. Then in the 2010's they started gobbling up companies I love and use. Skype, Minecraft, Zenimax, almost got Yahoo!, etc etc.

Time to fire up them anti-trust lawsuits again...

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've hated Microsoft since the 1990's, lol. Then in the 2010's they started gobbling up companies I love and use. Skype, Minecraft, Zenimax, almost got Yahoo!, etc etc.

Time to fire up them anti-trust lawsuits again...
The first offense was destroying rare

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fuck Europe.....and i live there.....eww
Europe approved it, it's the UK that are trying to throw their weight around to show they are still a player on the world stage

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does the EU and UK matter in regards to an American company? That just seems weird.

Also, Europe and EU are not the same. Europe is a continent, EU is an organization.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I love how short the memory is of politicians whenever big corporations are involved. Microsoft has a long history of locally bribing officials to get a market dominating position with regards to having their OS used in government and public institutions, and yet they don't smell any future foul play from a merger of this magnitude.
Why does the EU and UK matter in regards to an American company? That just seems weird.

Also, Europe and EU are not the same. Europe is a continent, EU is an organization.
Because both Microsoft and Activision Blizzard have offices in the EU and UK and are thus subject to EU and UK laws in addition to US laws. This is very, very basic information, really, and trivial to Google.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I'm torn either way. Don't like the precedent of this big of a buyout and I don't want too see other games "Red Falled". That said, I don't want Sony getting even more complacent.

well its a shame we will not see any more crash or spyro games on sony/nintendo consoles :S
Actually, Microsoft tends to still give Nintendo games.

Reactions: yoyoyo69

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright