Homebrew Error code 006-0501 in Badge Arcade and Pokemon Bank...

kabii-sama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm posting this here because, while I have no clue exactly why I'm seeing this error, I can only imagine it has something to do with the homebrew I've used on my 3DS. Has anyone experienced this error with games/apps and have suggestions on how to resolve it?

To give some background, I have an Old 3DS on firmware 10.3.0-28U. Or technically, I should say it's 10.3.0-32U, as I've been following this guide to retain access to online features on the outdated firmware. I've been using Ironhax as my main hombrew entrypoint ever since it was released, and the main reason I'm staying on 10.3 is to retain access to Ironhax. Anyway, using the whole frankenfirmware setup I'm able to go online in pretty much any game or app. The only problem was shops... I had to use HANS for eShop access, but I could not purchase anything in the theme shop or games' DLC shops.

Now, the Badge Arcade was one of the apps that was working normally for me... up until around Tuesday of last week, anyway. In the morning I got a free play from the practice catcher and used it to grab a badge from one of the machines as usual, but I was presented with the error code 006-0501 the instant the app started saving. The bunny mentioned something about having trouble connecting to the server, so I figured it was some maintenance or something and left the 3DS alone for the day, but even later in the evening I still could not connect to the server. Finally giving up and exiting the app, I confirmed that I could still access online in other games (like Mario Kart 7) and apps (like Miiverse) without issues. A few days later I try to access the Pokemon Bank (for the Regi Trio promo) and find out that the app is giving me the same error code. Obviously the problem isn't specific to the Badge Arcade, but I have no idea what suddenly brought it about.

Searching for the code 006-0501 online, I find discussions like this that suggest the error is one with the access point being used, and propose changing the DNS settings. Yet I tried using both Google DNS and Open DNS, and neither allowed me to get into these two apps. I also tried using other access points (like my phone's mobile hotspot) but had no luck. Some of the people in those discussions mention that they had used save editors and such on their Pokemon games prior to seeing the error, and I read that people were getting banned from certain online services in the games due to playing around with their saves... That said, I haven't used any applications to edit the save data of my copy of Pokemon Y, nor have I used any utilities to modify my system's badge data, so me getting banned from these services shouldn't even be a possibility. I guess it's also worth mentioning that I updated my hax payload to 2.7 a few days ago and tried out ctr-httpwn. The homebrew app allowed me to download the My Nintendo 3DS themes through the Theme Shop, but it didn't help at all in accessing the Badge Arcade or Pokemon Bank.

The most plausible explanation for my problem I can come up with is that (just last week) Nintendo tweaked something server-side that blocks anyone without the latest update, including those with frankenfirmware, from accessing these apps. If the only way for me to fix the 006-0501 error is by updating my 3DS to the latest firmware, I suppose it wouldn't be terrible since I have access to OoTHax and I could install certain cias even on 10.7 now. However, I was hoping someone on this site could share some advice for this particular error before I jump the gun and lost access to multiple homebrew entry points. I'd certainly appreciate any help I can get with this.

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a fun idea. Delete your internet settings in the 3ds, reset the router and then set up your connection again.

If that doesn't work then do like @Rhapsody said and set up an emunand. Or you could even go as far as to set up AL9Hax if you are worried about space.

Blue

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You're better off following this guide to set up an emunand/rednand and just update that. It'll be much easier to manage and much less risky than manually changing the sysnand's CIAs (which is stupid, by the way).
Updating your CVER and NVER is riskier than downgrading and may result in a brick, so try to downgrade and buy a new SD card if you need to.

Randall Davis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having the same exact issue with pokemon bank after using ctr-httpwn. I have read anything I could find about it. I have tried everything. Even ruled it out as being a port forwarding issue. Also messaged the creator of ctr-httpwn and he didn't think ctr-httpwn was the cause. I am just about out of ideas. I'm hoping you found something out or someone else can help us. I may consider custom firmware later if I can't figure this issue out but it would be a lot more work than I'd want to go to for just one app and not sure if I want to risk a brick.

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using ctr-httpwn to access Badge Arcade on a 10.3 N3DS. Sometimes I get error code 006-0501 and sometimes it works, but usually takes several tries.

There have been no problems connecting with other titles such as Pokemon Shuffle, Alpha Sapphire, and eshop.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    This is how I want to bone but it's my views that I know are right
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    👈 [belongs to one]
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish people that think they're right about everything didn't exist half the time
    Such as you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's your way of thinking
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet it be tough finding a job, if you were a nudist.
    or vice versa
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah it's easy all they gotta do is blow long breaths of air
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Confronts a nudist "Why be a nudist?" "I'm not a nudist you dick, I'm homeless and poor."
    +1
    I'm also saving 💰 . You know how much it is to just wash your clothes? pffffft
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I saved 1k this month by being poor tbh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Been eating Ramen all month, but my PC is badass!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ramen still delicious don't care how much money I'll have
    +1
  • Minox @ Minox:
    I'm eating less, but mostly because I'm trying to avoid getting called heavy again during this year's health exam
    +1
  • Minox @ Minox:
    There's only so many ways they can say "You're fat by our country's standards"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My cholesterol was almost 350 so really stopped going out lol
    [uploads some 🐟 for you] :D @Minox
  • Minox @ Minox:
    I'll stick with my kimchi thank you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Triglycerides almost 900
  • Minox @ Minox:
    No idea what any of those things you mention are
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cholesterol and Triglycerides? Basically a way they measure fatty cells in your blood
    Cholesterol is sorta high, according to my doc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been taking fiber pills, eating more grapes, switched to wheat bread in hopes to lower it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I've been taking fiber pills, eating more grapes, switched to wheat bread in hopes to lower it