Epic Games is compensating Fortnite and Rocket League players that bought random loot boxes

maxresdefault.jpg

Back in the earlier days of Fortnite, the game made its money off of loot boxes that had random items within. As the concept of loot boxes began to draw ire, from both players and governments worldwide, Epic Games removed the feature and replaced it with a rotating storefront. Similarly, when Rocket League was still owned by Psyonix, it too used the loot box formula in order to earn extra money from gamers gambling on item drops. Rocket League also eventually phased that feature out, and just like Fortnite, it now operates on a rotating storefront with set items available for purchase each day.

Players of either game that spent real money on crate or llama keys during that time will be given compensation, now, as Epic Games is offering 1,000 V-Bucks/Rocket League Credits to those "affected". The compensation is part of a preliminary class-action lawsuit in the United States regarding Epic Games and loot boxes, though the company is still giving the 1,000 credits to anyone who made those select purchases regardless of location, worldwide. The 1,000 V-Bucks/Credits will be added to players' accounts within the next few days.

Whether you were a fan of random item Loot Llamas or not, with preliminary approval for a class action settlement, we’re awarding 1,000 V-Bucks to anyone that purchased a random Loot Llama. While this settlement was for U.S. players only, we have decided to make this benefit available to players globally. There’s no action needed on your part, and you should receive your V-Bucks within the next few days.

:arrow: Source

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i mean, its better than no compensation? although i doubt they would have done it at all if they didnt get that lawsuit
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In my eyes, it's no better than Bethesda giving out 500 of their crappy Fallout 76 currency as "compensation".
Beth could've made it 500,000 and it still wouldn't be good enough; similarly, Epic can stick its 1000 V-Bucks up its ass, considering they had the opportunity to give players 1,000,000 V-Bucks as proper compensation. Or, y'know, given the money back to peoples' credit cards and debit cards - an actual refund.

Saying that, I'm not affected because I never once downloaded their shitty unfinished launcher nor played any of their shitty multiplayer games popular with kiddies and streamers, but that's my opinion about it.

D

Deleted User

i hate epic. the people who willingly chose to spend their own money on a product which they already received should be getting more than just 1,000 free V-Bucks as an extra, completely free bonus that was never part of the original deal.
how are these scammers getting away with it?

but if you think this is bad, you should see how i was exploited by walmart.
i went there every day for a month and bought gummy bears which i ate on the way home.
then i suddenly remembered i hate gummy bears, so i went back and demanded free stuff.
they gave me nothing.

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
People should understand V-bucks/Rocket League Credits are worth next to nothing to Epic games. So if those in-game credits are worth nothing to begin with, how is that better than nothing?

Reactions: RichardTheKing

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Despite games like Fortnite looking fun to play, I never really got into these types of games where you play with other people online and such. This should also be a lesson to people to not waste money on stupid shit per se. Yeah, not agreeing with the company considering all the sceevy shit they do and other companies do, but people also need to be careful on what they spend on as to not get ripped off, unless they were tricked into getting something of course.

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I spent like $400 on the secret founder's edition of Save the World because I loved the game so much... then they announced Battle Royale and never finished Save the World. They used my money to build a second game and profit off it in the millions and never finished the game I backed...

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I spent like $400 on the secret founder's edition of Save the World because I loved the game so much... then they announced Battle Royale and never finished Save the World. They used my money to build a second game and profit off it in the millions and never finished the game I backed...
I can empathise with you there; spending a ton of money on an unfinished and really fun singleplayer game, only for the shithole publisher to kill off that singleplayer game and "waste" your money on a cringey multiplayer game - one that they later used to attack other companies for bullshit reasons (attacking the Big G and Malus domestica, at that).

That would royally piss me off to no end, for sure.

Reactions: SonyUSA

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Not really in touch with fortnite, but isnt 1000 Vbucks not alot?
It's enough for one monthly battle pass, and one shitty weapon skin

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And if you bought fortnite loot boxes, you probably already own the battle pass, which contain enough v-bucks for the next battle pass, so this is pretty worthless

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can empathise with you there; spending a ton of money on an unfinished and really fun singleplayer game, only for the shithole publisher to kill off that singleplayer game and "waste" your money on a cringey multiplayer game - one that they later used to attack other companies for bullshit reasons (attacking the Big G and Malus domestica, at that).

That would royally piss me off to no end, for sure.

It was 1-4 players but yeah... UGH

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...