ROM Hack RELEASE EmuTool - Move partition Emu on another SD, Switch Emu type on SXOS and more

MelvinSmiley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
why is the propourse of this necrobump? what is the pint 7 about?
"7. Transfer of the Emu to partition

Select as Source the Emu File type and select the folder that contains the Emu files, not the root folder (ie choose sxos\Emunand or emummc\HE0\eMMC folders).
Select as Target the type of partition Emu that you want to restore, in case of Atmosphere type you will also have to indicate the initial sector of the partition you created to host the Emu. Please check the other tutorial on how to create a suitable partition for emuMMC (you can use the free minitool partition software).

Press the Start button to start copying."

A couple of months is not "necro". When things people asked about are left unexplained people ask again, why not.

Last edited by MelvinSmiley,

DWK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
It is fucking stupid Hekate can't do this on its own. Thanks for your 4-year-old applet for picking up that slack for me after I failed for like 2 hours to do something so stupidly basic.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
It is fucking stupid Hekate can't do this on its own. Thanks for your 4-year-old applet for picking up that slack for me after I failed for like 2 hours to do something so stupidly basic.
Slow down, Hakete have a porpuse and is more than excellent on it. If you think about the environment where Hekate is run you will amaze about how powerful is, NYX have other propuse and also is great on it.

You need at least two storage for partition migration and Switch haven't. You need full hardware access and full disks drivers and management which both lacks on pre-boot environment of console, so you can't bitch about not be able to do something where is impossible to do due to hardware constrains.

But for the shake of all you even can use NYX's UMS tools to mount the SD on any computer where you can use proper tools for the task.

DWK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Slow down, Hakete have a porpuse and is more than excellent on it. If you think about the environment where Hekate is run you will amaze about how powerful is, NYX have other propuse and also is great on it.

You need at least two storage for partition migration and Switch haven't. You need full hardware access and full disks drivers and management which both lacks on pre-boot environment of console, so you can't bitch about not be able to do something where is impossible to do due to hardware constrains.

But for the shake of all you even can use NYX's UMS tools to mount the SD on any computer where you can use proper tools for the task.
Hekate has the tools to modify SD partitions. Hekate can create emummc on these partitions. Hekate can create emummc in files in the primary partition. Hekate has everything it needs to convert an emummc from partition-based to file-based. And, if you're swapping SD cards, so long as you've got compatible Hekate versions on each, it will switch seamlessly.

The only thing it won't do, DESPITE HAVING ALL THE FEATURES TO DO IT, is to change a partition-based emummc to a file-based one, and vice-versa.

This is colossally stupid, especially when a four-year-old under-developed proof-of-concept can still perform the task. Hekate has no fucking excuse.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hekate has the tools to modify SD partitions. Hekate can create emummc on these partitions. Hekate can create emummc in files in the primary partition. Hekate has everything it needs to convert an emummc from partition-based to file-based. And, if you're swapping SD cards, so long as you've got compatible Hekate versions on each, it will switch seamlessly.

The only thing it won't do, DESPITE HAVING ALL THE FEATURES TO DO IT, is to change a partition-based emummc to a file-based one, and vice-versa.

This is colossally stupid, especially when a four-year-old under-developed proof-of-concept can still perform the task. Hekate has no fucking excuse.
you can make a backup of a raw partition to files, and you can restore a file set from a backup to a raw partiton...

DWK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
you can make a backup of a raw partition to files, and you can restore a file set from a backup to a raw partiton...
Yeah. That doesn't work. It acts like the now-file-based emummc and /Nintendo/ folder are invalid and so it starts up like if it was the first time ever turned on.

FWIW, this tool also didn't leave my games in a playable state (just icons showing they need to be reinstalled), but at the very least it restored my profile and saves, and now I just have to download my games again.

miozet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello guys.

I want to transfer my atmosphere to anothers sd. I back up with "Athmosphere Hidden Partition". At the end I got a warning. It says;
Remember to copy "emuMMC\HPE0\Nintendo" folder from SD card to "D\Switch Transfer\emummc\HPE0\Nintendo"

So the problem is in my sd file I have "emuMMC\RAW1\Nintendo" folder. What am I missing? Should directly copy from RAW1 (sd folder) to HPE0 (back up folder) would do the same? Whats the difference bw HPE0 and RAW1

edit: I am talking about visible part of sd. If this HPE0 folder is about hidden part, how should I access it and copy from it?
Post automatically merged:

And while I am doing it I saw 2 section in SD card

Should I back up and then transfer to new SD card both Section 0 and 1?

emummc.png

Edit: I see this from bootloader screen

20230624_132441.jpg

Last edited by miozet,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hello guys.

I want to transfer my atmosphere to anothers sd. I back up with "Athmosphere Hidden Partition". At the end I got a warning. It says;
Remember to copy "emuMMC\HPE0\Nintendo" folder from SD card to "D\Switch Transfer\emummc\HPE0\Nintendo"

So the problem is in my sd file I have "emuMMC\RAW1\Nintendo" folder. What am I missing? Should directly copy from RAW1 (sd folder) to HPE0 (back up folder) would do the same? Whats the difference bw HPE0 and RAW1

edit: I am talking about visible part of sd. If this HPE0 folder is about hidden part, how should I access it and copy from it?

And while I am doing it I saw 2 section in SD card

Should I back up and then transfer to new SD card both Section 0 and 1?

View attachment 379631

Edit: I see this from bootloader screen

View attachment 379632
Fir safe backup your SD:/emuMMc folder that folder and your emuNAND are in tamden.

Obviously is better is you backup all you "visible" SD card partition.

On the new carts you can use the "vackup" as a filter based emuNAND, today they are practically the same speed and if you use Fat32 format no corruption prone.

Reactions: miozet

veggav

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm failing to understand why you need twice the space on SD card for emunand.

You have a a RAW partition at the end of the SD Card partition table.
You back this up with EmuTool.
EmuTool create the emummc.ini file and points to the newly created files.

And you are suppose to put those files back into the CD card in the Fat32/ExFat partition.... why?
Don't you already have a RAW partition at the end of the SD card?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I'm failing to understand why you need twice the space on SD card for emunand.

You have a a RAW partition at the end of the SD Card partition table.
You back this up with EmuTool.
EmuTool create the emummc.ini file and points to the newly created files.

And you are suppose to put those files back into the CD card in the Fat32/ExFat partition.... why?
Don't you already have a RAW partition at the end of the SD card?
Ok you are mixing two things.

If you like to keep up with a RAW partition EmuNAND you only will need that space, you will use EmuTool to "copy" the files you currently have on your PC to that partition.

If you like your new SD card use a file based EmuNAND you only need these files on the card and no waste space on hidden partition.

Today both options are the same in terms of performance and corruption prone. So it's up to you which one use in the new card.

Any bad things you read about file based EmuNAND was thing from the past, Atmosphère corrected that bugs some time ago.

Moreover, the latest bug about emuMMc was corrected on https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases/tag/0.19.3 (May the 12th of 2021) so you can expect EmuNAND to be as stable as possible for now

Last edited by impeeza,
Reactions: veggav

veggav

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@impeeza

Now I get it, the files inside the emuMMC/Nintendo folder are the games installed to SD Card.

The problem I'm facing now is, my smaller SD card was exFAT + hidden partition.
I've used TegraExplorer and now I have Fat32 + hidden partition.
I have changed the emummc.ini file to have the correct sector address for the hidden partiton..

Now when copying the files I have several files larger than 4GB that are part of the installed files.

What's the correct way to copy those and have those to be split?
Right now I'm considering just reinstalling the games and see if that works.

taffyponty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello.... which options do I need to select? I think I have something hidden, which prevents me from simply transferring all this data to a newer bigger sd card.. but I don't know what.

it's because I bought this switch with atomosphere on it from somebody else, so I don't know what they did..

I don't know which is the source and what the target should be...
there's a warning when using this app.. why exactly? If i backup these files and restore to a blank sd card, what can the risk be? If I restore those files to a new sd card and it doesn't work, I can go back to the original sd card???
but because of the warning , do you want to continue i'm given pause for thought.. after reading other comments, it seems a restore can mean the icons for games are there and maybe the saves, but the games are gone?
hmm presumably the old sd card would have no problem? but possibly not, i'm not sure if this tool will backup/restore system files in the switch internal memory. so a restore to a new sd card could create new system files, so then even the old sd card wouldn't work, because after restoring my backup to a new sd card it creates new system files??

something like this has happened without the tool and that seems exactly like it could be possible,

Last edited by taffyponty,

taffyponty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello.... which options do I need to select? I think I have something hidden, which prevents me from simply transferring all this data to a newer bigger sd card.. but I don't know what.

it's because I bought this switch with atomosphere on it from somebody else, so I don't know what they did..

I don't know which is the source and what the target should be...
there's a warning when using this app.. why exactly? If i backup these files and restore to a blank sd card, what can the risk be? If I restore those files to a new sd card and it doesn't work, I can go back to the original sd card???
but because of the warning , do you want to continue i'm given pause for thought.. after reading other comments, it seems a restore can mean the icons for games are there and maybe the saves, but the games are gone?
hmm presumably the old sd card would have no problem? but possibly not, i'm not sure if this tool will backup/restore system files in the switch internal memory. so a restore to a new sd card could create new system files, so then even the old sd card wouldn't work, because after restoring my backup to a new sd card it creates new system files??

something like this has happened without the tool and that seems exactly like it could be possible,
hello anyone? is there a guide which explains how to use this program?

Reactions: impeeza

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok you are mixing two things.

If you like to keep up with a RAW partition EmuNAND you only will need that space, you will use EmuTool to "copy" the files you currently have on your PC to that partition.

If you like your new SD card use a file based EmuNAND you only need these files on the card and no waste space on hidden partition.

Today both options are the same in terms of performance and corruption prone. So it's up to you which one use in the new card.

Any bad things you read about file based EmuNAND was thing from the past, Atmosphère corrected that bugs some time ago.

Moreover, the latest bug about emuMMc was corrected on https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases/tag/0.19.3 (May the 12th of 2021) so you can expect EmuNAND to be as stable as possible for now
So, hidden partition EmuNAND and File based are the same spacewise. There is no wasted space. 32GB either way (default size).

While im EmuNAND when you install to SysNAND it installs to the Hidden partition or File based space. That partition/files is your EmuNAND.

Hidden partition is still less prone to corruption. The difference is negligible, but the chance of destroying the allocation table is slightly higher, if you shut down during a write action, still to this day. That was said to me on discord recently by one of the devs. I use Hidden.
@impeeza

Now I get it, the files inside the emuMMC/Nintendo folder are the games installed to SD Card.

The problem I'm facing now is, my smaller SD card was exFAT + hidden partition.
I've used TegraExplorer and now I have Fat32 + hidden partition.
I have changed the emummc.ini file to have the correct sector address for the hidden partiton..

Now when copying the files I have several files larger than 4GB that are part of the installed files.

What's the correct way to copy those and have those to be split?
Right now I'm considering just reinstalling the games and see if that works.
I use DBI and it's MTP responder to install stuff and skip hasseling with the size limit.
What are you trying to do exactly?
yeah, on the OP and the messages after that.
Haha, helpful! Kind! Gotta love the internet.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
As far I know you can have up to 4 emunands, 1 raw partition and 3 fileset or 4 fileset.

Today, file based and raw partition are exactly the same safe to corruption and almost equal fast. in the past was no the case but all the bugs are corrected some time ago.

ALWAYS use FAT32 partition format to avoid corruptions.

The 4GB limit of FAT32 is handled by the console a NSP and XCI file bigger than 4GB are a set of small files, there is never a 4GB file on the console.

Yes, the guide of use of the program is on the OP, just go to it.

• Love
Reactions: BaamAlex

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 2 hidden partition emunands. I wrote a tutorial. One for Atmosphère and one for SX. Atmosphère can use the SX one too.

File based still has issues. It's not Atmosphère. It's Ninty's drivers. I still see the issues occasionally so I asked in the discord. I was told it's very rare now but still possible. It's so lazy to use file based anyway. Hidden partition has no drawbacks. Never did. Plus if you want to have a small EmuNAND for SXOS to use for USB HHD loading hidden is the best option. Sx definately has issues with file based. I helped someone with corruption of a file based EmuNAND just about 2 months ago. Guy had the newest Atmosphère. No SX. I'd rather be safe than lazy. EmuTool and NxNand manager are very easy to use. It's really not a hassle. Especially compared to setting everything up again. I'm good. I have a file based EmuNAND on one of my SD cards in order to have Switchroot. Haven't had any issues.

I get a lot of people here asking me for help. Usually pertaining to SX because I'm not a Software Nazi and especially for EmuNAND issues ever since I wrote that guide. Fried EmuNANDs are still something I deal with from time to time. And, aside from one failed SD in recent times, it's never hidden partition type that has issues. I will stick to partition based until i no longer see issues. That unfortunately is just not the case.

What are you trying to do?

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I have 2 hidden partition emunands. I wrote a tutorial. One for Atmosphère and one for SX. Atmosphère can use the SX one too.

File based still has issues. It's not Atmosphère. It's Ninty's drivers. I still see the issues occasionally so I asked in the discord. I was told it's very rare now but still possible. It's so lazy to use file based anyway. Hidden partition has no drawbacks. Never did. Plus if you want to have a small EmuNAND for SXOS to use for USB HHD loading hidden is the best option. Sx definately has issues with file based. I helped someone with corruption of a file based EmuNAND just about 2 months ago. Guy had the newest Atmosphère. No SX. I'd rather be safe than lazy. EmuTool and NxNand manager are very easy to use. It's really not a hassle. Especially compared to setting everything up again. I'm good. I have a file based EmuNAND on one of my SD cards in order to have Switchroot. Haven't had any issues.

I get a lot of people here asking me for help. Usually pertaining to SX because I'm not a Software Nazi and especially for EmuNAND issues ever since I wrote that guide. Fried EmuNANDs are still something I deal with from time to time. And, aside from one failed SD in recent times, it's never hidden partition type that has issues. I will stick to partition based until i no longer see issues. That unfortunately is just not the case.

What are you trying to do?
The faulty big N drivers are about ExFAT, that's why you always must use FAT32.

• Love
Reactions: BaamAlex

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The faulty big N drivers are about ExFAT, that's why you always must use FAT32.
That’s true, as for the “debate” of hidden partition or files based, I’ve been using both for quite a long time, with no issues so far.

“At the end “, it’s always the “same thing”, when dealing with hacking, whatever consoles, multiple choices, for the best or the worst.

Still end users choice, each choices with theirs pros and cons.
Some will suits better for some users.

As a “note”, I “collaborated “ with @mikefor20 for the tutorial of having two hidden partions, one for Sxos (Shrinked, as the only purpose was to keep Xci loading from external storage possible) one for Atmosphere, but that was for the fun.

Last edited by Maupiti,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, WAKE UP