ROM Hack RELEASE EmuTool - Move partition Emu on another SD, Switch Emu type on SXOS and more

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The faulty big N drivers are about ExFAT, that's why you always must use FAT32.
I am not talking about that. I know all about it. Read my guide. I do my due diligence. I have spoken to many developers. I have seen you there too. All you do is bait people to say things and get a ban. Just a troll honestly. You know that during an unexpected error the hidden partition EmuNAND is less likely to corrupt because of how the switch handles a panic. Even if they fixed it, just go tried and true. So lazy and contrary. No reason not to go hidden. The management software is easy to use. The likelihood of an issue is next to none. No way to accidentally delete it. I have helped a few people fix corrupted EmuNANDs and all of them were on file based. Recently. On FAT32.

You guys, I don't care anymore. All I ever do is try to help people and answer questions. All I see is bullshit, whataboutisims and moron politics. I just don't care anymore. I get harrassed constantly. Dullards and trolls. Well, you win. Don't come crying to me with any issues. I don't care. I'm done You're on your own.

taffyponty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm just stuck and don't know what to do!

I have a switch which was previously installed with homebrew, which I bought used, but the SD card is small..

I want to move to a bigger sd card!

If I try to install everything from scratch, nothing is going right... I don't know if the switch internal memory contains something which screws it up,... but when I try to install the same games from my original sd card using tinfoil, I get the error "cannot place placeholders"

So Instead I am thinking I will just move my existing installation from the original to the new bigger SD card.
This program though.. what am I backing up/restoring . is it atmosphere, hekate or?
And If I choose something wrong , I am concerned it will mess up both my new and original sd card installation, because I know there must be a connection between the sd and internal memory

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm just stuck and don't know what to do!

I have a switch which was previously installed with homebrew, which I bought used, but the SD card is small..

I want to move to a bigger sd card!

If I try to install everything from scratch, nothing is going right... I don't know if the switch internal memory contains something which screws it up,... but when I try to install the same games from my original sd card using tinfoil, I get the error "cannot place placeholders"

So Instead I am thinking I will just move my existing installation from the original to the new bigger SD card.
This program though.. what am I backing up/restoring . is it atmosphere, hekate or?
And If I choose something wrong , I am concerned it will mess up both my new and original sd card installation, because I know there must be a connection between the sd and internal memory
Well, all depends if there was an Emunand on your switch or not.
Send pics of the original sd card (folders) of the switch you bought

As a note, I’m not fan of Tinfoil for installing, since using DBI , ( for the last 2 years) everything going “smooth “.

Last edited by Maupiti,
  • Love
Reactions: impeeza

taffyponty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, all depends if there’s was an Emunand on your switch or not.
Send pics of the original sd card (folders) of the switch you bought

As a note, I’m not fan of Tinfoil for installing, since using DBI , ( for the last 2 years) everything going “smooth “.
I am kind of sure there is. because there's a hidden partition contained on the sd card which shows up on windows.
whenever i attach screenshots they always get deleted, i don't know why or what rule I am breaking.

are you on discord. i can send here.

Last edited by taffyponty,

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I am kind of sure there is. because there's a hidden partition contained on the sd card which shows up on windows.
whenever i attach screenshots they always get deleted, i don't know why or what rule I am breaking.

Send me a PM with your screenshots.
Pics been deleted when you try to send them, probably because you’re a newcomer , doesn’t break rules, just not enough posts.

And yep, if on windows appears an hidden partition, then yes, you have an Emunand.

What’s the size of the hidden partition ?
Post automatically merged:

I am not talking about that. I know all about it. Read my guide. I do my due diligence. I have spoken to many developers. I have seen you there too. All you do is bait people to say things and get a ban. Just a troll honestly. You know that during an unexpected error the hidden partition EmuNAND is less likely to corrupt because of how the switch handles a panic. Even if they fixed it, just go tried and true. So lazy and contrary. No reason not to go hidden. The management software is easy to use. The likelihood of an issue is next to none. No way to accidentally delete it. I have helped a few people fix corrupted EmuNANDs and all of them were on file based. Recently. On FAT32.

You guys, I don't care anymore. All I ever do is try to help people and answer questions. All I see is bullshit, whataboutisims and moron politics. I just don't care anymore. I get harrassed constantly. Dullards and trolls. Well, you win. Don't come crying to me with any issues. I don't care. I'm done You're on your own.
Hi Buddy, well, that’s kind of what always happen on scenes, whatever consoles, 😓, we lost @godreborn for this reason, 😓, take care mate 😉

As for me, I was very happy to contribute to your tutorial 😉.

44,370 views, it’s not a so bad “score “, 👍😉

Last edited by Maupiti,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pics been deleted when you try to send them, probably because you’re a newcomer , doesn’t break rules, just not enough posts.

And yep, if on windows appears an hidden partition, then yes, you have an Emunand.

Hi Buddy, well, that’s kind of what always happen on scenes, whatever consoles, 😓, we lost @godreborn for this reason, 😓, take care mate 😉

The toxic childish trolls here pretending to be helpful piss me off. I bend over backward for people around here, always have. There's a culture of Software Justice Warrior Cultists that think they own your switch and can dictate what you do. They lie, whine, complain and flame bait the shit out of everything until it devolves the thread and gets the thread closed. Same 20 or so people. They need to be banned. I have been virtually accosted multiple times. Stupid, myopic, self serving trolls. I get tired of it. I don't mind helping people but I'll do it in PM now. I don't need to be hasseled when helping people who honestly just need to read a little more anyway. All the information is here, it's just obscured by these yapping morons. Anyway.. PM me and I'll help.

Screw the peanut gallery.

Last edited by mikefor20,

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The toxic childish trolls here pretending to be helpful piss me off. I bend over backward for people around here, always have. There's a culture of Software Justice Warrior cultists that think they own your switch and can dictate what you do. They lie,whine, complain and flame bait the shit out of everything until it devolves the tread and gets the thread closed. Same 20 or so people. They need to be banned. I have been virtually accosted multiple times. Stupid, myopic, self serving trolls. I get tired of it. I don't mind helping people but I'll do it in PM now. I don't need to be hasseled when helping people who honestly just need to read a little more anyway. All the information is here, it's just obscured by these morons. Anyway.. PM me and I'll help.

Screw the peanut gallery.
Yep, so true, take care of you and your family 🥰

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP

Here's the quick qnd dirty answer.

First figure out what type of EmuNAND you have. (Btw EmuNAND and EMMC are the same thing)

Do you have a folder named Emutendo in the root of your card? If so your EmuNAND was a SXOS EmuNAND originally. You should have an EMMC folder. There is an INI file inside. Can you copy the contents of the INI file here? Just use a text editor. Next to verify, because laziness is the bane of tech support, put the SD in your PC. In disk management, where is the EmuNAND located? It will appear as a RAW or UNFORMATTED section before or after the FAT32 partition. SX EmuNANDs are a hidden partition at the beginning of the SD, Atmosphère's EmuNAND is at the end of the SD. Once you figure out what EmuNAND type you have, back it up using EmuTool, make sure to choose the correct source type.

Backing up your old SD presents no data loss risk. Just do not delete or format the old card until the new one is up and tested.

It doesn't really matter what type the EmuNAND was originally, except when backing it up. Atmosphère can see both types when configured correctly. The INI file points to your EmuNAND and the data folder (emutendo or emmc).

On the new card, create a fresh new EmuNAND using hekate then use emutool to restore the backup from the old SD. It will overwrite the new blank EmuNAND and you'll have your EmuNAND on your new SD. Make sure you copy your data folder too (emutendo or emmc). Don't overwrite the ini that hekate made in the EMMC folder.

That's the jist. I'm on my phone and away from my desktop. Sorry for any typos and the lack of clearer more concise instructions. Let me know if you have questions.

I'd like to point out, if you want to add LINUX(L4T) or Android (Switch root) now is the time as they have special formatting requirements. But that's a whole other conversation. Tutorials are in the tutorial section.

Fyi,what I said earlier was true,all this information is out there. Check out the tutorial @Maupiti and I wrote

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...en-partitions-on-the-same-sd-tutorial.601607/

I think it was linked earlier in this thread. The goal of the tutorial isn't to copy the EmuNAND but I explain these concepts and I think you could have a better grasp on what's going on here.

Maybe I'll write a new one for this purpose. An all around EmuNAND guide. Maybe.

And only 22 likes. Goes to show how appreciative the scene is. Thanks guys! Lol

Last edited by mikefor20,
Reactions: Maupiti

taffyponty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

im pretty sure its 16mb?? because there's only one sd card here 119gb it has to be that drive?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 18

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
im pretty sure its 16mb?? because there's only one sd card here 119gb it has to be that drive?
Ok, so no Sxos Emunand, but Atmosphere Emunand, follow the very detailed instructions from @mikefor20 latest post .
The 16mb unallocated first partition is created by Hekate.
The last one at the end of the sd is atmosphere Emunand.

Reactions: taffyponty

taffyponty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OP

Here's the quick qnd dirty answer.

First figure out what type of EmuNAND you have. (Btw EmuNAND and EMMC are the same thing)

Do you have a folder named Emutendo in the root of your card? If so your EmuNAND was a SXOS EmuNAND originally. You should have an EMMC folder. There is an INI file inside. Can you copy the contents of the INI file here? Just use a text editor. Next to verify, because laziness is the bane of tech support, put the SD in your PC. In disk management, where is the EmuNAND located? It will appear as a RAW or UNFORMATTED section before or after the FAT32 partition. SX EmuNANDs are a hidden partition at the beginning of the SD, Atmosphère's EmuNAND is at the end of the SD. Once you figure out what EmuNAND type you have, back it up using EmuTool, make sure to choose the correct source type.

Backing up your old SD presents no data loss risk. Just do not delete or format the old card until the new one is up and tested.

It doesn't really matter what type the EmuNAND was originally, except when backing it up. Atmosphère can see both types when configured correctly. The INI file points to your EmuNAND and the data folder (emutendo or emmc).

On the new card, create a fresh new EmuNAND using hekate then use emutool to restore the backup from the old SD. It will overwrite the new blank EmuNAND and you'll have your EmuNAND on your new SD. Make sure you copy your data folder too (emutendo or emmc). Don't overwrite the ini that hekate made in the EMMC folder.

That's the jist. I'm on my phone and away from my desktop. Sorry for any typos and the lack of clearer more concise instructions. Let me know if you have questions.

I'd like to point out, if you want to add LINUX(L4T) or Android (Switch root) now is the time as they have special formatting requirements. But that's a whole other conversation. Tutorials are in the tutorial section.

Fyi,what I said earlier was true,all this information is out there. Check out the tutorial @Maupiti and I wrote

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...en-partitions-on-the-same-sd-tutorial.601607/

I think it was linked earlier in this thread. The goal of the tutorial isn't to copy the EmuNAND but I explain these concepts and I think you could have a better grasp on what's going on here.

Maybe I'll write a new one for this purpose. An all around EmuNAND guide. Maybe.

And only 22 likes. Goes to show how appreciative the scene is. Thanks guys! Lol
not seeing such a directory i think .
the other drive shown in admin tools (29gb) i cannot open from windows explorer or from admin tools/rightclick/.explore.

i don't know what the previous owner did to set it up. but he has amsplus erista on there.. btw he's a german guy and i don't speak german.. seems despte the fact i've changed the system language, i cannot get my switch to stop saying "fertig" instead of finished. :/

. for some reason I can't simply copy the contents of his sd card to my new sd card, it won't run like this....

also after following instructions to setup my own sd card . everything seems ok until i try to install the same tiitles using tinfoil but it reports it can't create placeholders, or something similar.. therefore installation seems to fail.

I am reluctant to use this tools to try and backup and restore this partition to a new drive, because based on what i have read here, this could interfere with switch internal memory files and render the old sd card and new not operable.

hmmm i am not really bothered whether i install from scratch on my new sd card (1tb) or backup and restore from my 128gb to my 1tb card. i simply just want it to continue working on the bigger card like it works on the smaller one.
there's a few family members and we like totally disimilar games, like sims/no mans sky / mario/ lets sing / resident evil zero.. guess which 2 games i like to play and guess which is my daughters 0_0

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 18

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude. Put the old sd in your pc. YOU WILL NOT LOSE DATA

select the source drive letter. Emunand type Atmosphère
Backup the emunand. 0 risk

Download a fresh copy of hekate

Unzip hekate to your New SD

Use tegra to boot hekate

In hekate.make a new emunand (this formats thr new card)

Wait to finish

Use emutool to restore your backup from your old card to your new card

Copy the contents from the FAT32 partition that your pc sees on your old card to your new card.

Done

Do not power down or remove things mid write and you're fine.

I know my shit. Just use common sense

taffyponty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Dude. Put the old sd in your pc. YOU WILL NOT LOSE DATA

select the source drive letter. Emunand type Atmosphère
Backup the emunand. 0 risk

Download a fresh copy of hekate

Unzip hekate to your New SD

Use tegra to boot hekate

In hekate.make a new emunand (this formats thr new card)

Wait to finish

Use emutool to restore your backup from your old card to your new card

Copy the contents from the FAT32 partition that your pc sees on your old card to your new card.

Done

Do not power down or remove things mid write and you're fine.

I know my shit. Just use common sense
Hi.. are you meaning to use the emultools for this backup? so it should be the 92gb partition i'm backing up. or is emutools just for restoring a backup?
I have to use tegra to inject the hekate payload.. meaning i should not use this little dongle thingy which i normally plug into the usb c port on the switch?

literally the only thing which goes onto my new sd card is hekate and nothing else? should i reformat? previously i formatted to fat 32 using certain options using a program called rufus.

do i need to make any partitions? just because i have saw similar threads where people were advised to create a partition here. but idk why.

ok i cant think of any other questions at the mo, thanks !

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi.. are you meaning to use the emultools for this backup? so it should be the 92gb partition i'm backing up. or is emutools just for restoring a backup?
I have to use tegra to inject the hekate payload.. meaning i should not use this little dongle thingy which i normally plug into the usb c port on the switch?

literally the only thing which goes onto my new sd card is hekate and nothing else? should i reformat? previously i formatted to fat 32 using certain options using a program called rufus.

do i need to make any partitions? just because i have saw similar threads where people were advised to create a partition here. but idk why.

ok i cant think of any other questions at the mo, thanks !
ok here we go.

Your EmuNAND is the 29.26 GB partition. You will back it up. You may use Emutool as I have in the past, NxNAND manager or Hekate will work for the backup too. I used EmuTool in the past. They are all good tools. I am just recommending things I have tried

YOU DIDN'T READ MY TUTORIAL DID YOU? PLEASE FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AND READ THE TUTORIAL I LINKED SO I AM NOT TALKING JIBBERISH TO YOU. DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE.

It doesn't matter how you inject it. Just make sure it's the latest version of Hekate on your dongle.

Format the new SD to FAT32 first using GUI Formatter or Panasonic SD formatter. Just put the hekate bootloader folder on there. The EmuNAND creation will format your whole card anyway and leave you with 16MB in front. 29.16GB (EmuNAND) in the back and the rest will be in FAT32. Anything you put on there will be gone. Just put the Hekate files.

Hekate will do it.

You could use this oppertunity to clean up your install and download a fresh Atmosphere, and sigpatches.

When you copy back everything from the original SD do not overwrite

1. Backup the source SD to be safe
  2. backup your EmuNAND with EmuTOOL
  3. Format NEW SD to FAT32 with this https://gbatemp.net/download/gui-format.33869/
  4. put Hekate bootloader folder on NEW SD
  5. Run Hekate and Create a NEW EmuNAND
  6. Put SD in PC and use Emutool to Restore the backup of the old card
  7. Copy the rest of the old SD over to the new one
That should do it. You may have to fix the EmuNAND in hekate if it doesnt boot but it shouldnt be necessary.

1. Boot Hekate using the hekate payload and your favorite payload launching method.
  2. Select EmuMMC
  3. Select Migrate EmuMMC
  4. Select Fix Raw
  5. Select OK

taffyponty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ok here we go.

Your EmuNAND is the 29.26 GB partition. You will back it up. You may use Emutool as I have in the past, NxNAND manager or Hekate will work for the backup too. I used EmuTool in the past. They are all good tools. I am just recommending things I have tried

YOU DIDN'T READ MY TUTORIAL DID YOU? PLEASE FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AND READ THE TUTORIAL I LINKED SO I AM NOT TALKING JIBBERISH TO YOU. DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE.

It doesn't matter how you inject it. Just make sure it's the latest version of Hekate on your dongle.

Format the new SD to FAT32 first using GUI Formatter or Panasonic SD formatter. Just put the hekate bootloader folder on there. The EmuNAND creation will format your whole card anyway and leave you with 16MB in front. 29.16GB (EmuNAND) in the back and the rest will be in FAT32. Anything you put on there will be gone. Just put the Hekate files.

Hekate will do it.

You could use this oppertunity to clean up your install and download a fresh Atmosphere, and sigpatches.

When you copy back everything from the original SD do not overwrite

1. Backup the source SD to be safe
  2. backup your EmuNAND with EmuTOOL
  3. Format NEW SD to FAT32 with this https://gbatemp.net/download/gui-format.33869/
  4. put Hekate bootloader folder on NEW SD
  5. Run Hekate and Create a NEW EmuNAND
  6. Put SD in PC and use Emutool to Restore the backup of the old card
  7. Copy the rest of the old SD over to the new one
That should do it. You may have to fix the EmuNAND in hekate if it doesnt boot but it shouldnt be necessary.

1. Boot Hekate using the hekate payload and your favorite payload launching method.
  2. Select EmuMMC
  3. Select Migrate EmuMMC
  4. Select Fix Raw
  5. Select OK
ok np ill just backup the whole lot

btw i still haven't been able to find out. but is this hidden partition the reason I couldn't just create my own new sd card from scratch without tinfoil telling me i couldn't set new placeholders?

Last edited by taffyponty,

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
not seeing such a directory i think .
the other drive shown in admin tools (29gb) i cannot open from windows explorer or from admin tools/rightclick/.explore.

i don't know what the previous owner did to set it up. but he has amsplus erista on there.. btw he's a german guy and i don't speak german.. seems despte the fact i've changed the system language, i cannot get my switch to stop saying "fertig" instead of finished. :/

. for some reason I can't simply copy the contents of his sd card to my new sd card, it won't run like this....

also after following instructions to setup my own sd card . everything seems ok until i try to install the same tiitles using tinfoil but it reports it can't create placeholders, or something similar.. therefore installation seems to fail.

I am reluctant to use this tools to try and backup and restore this partition to a new drive, because based on what i have read here, this could interfere with switch internal memory files and render the old sd card and new not operable.

hmmm i am not really bothered whether i install from scratch on my new sd card (1tb) or backup and restore from my 128gb to my 1tb card. i simply just want it to continue working on the bigger card like it works on the smaller one.
there's a few family members and we like totally disimilar games, like sims/no mans sky / mario/ lets sing / resident evil zero.. guess which 2 games i like to play and guess which is my daughters 0_0

btw i still haven't been able to find out. but is this hidden partition the reason I couldn't just create my own new sd card from scratch without tinfoil telling me i couldn't set new placeholders?
Nop, the hidden partition is from Hekate, and doesn’t matter for installing.

I already told you, forget Tinfoil, (the Dev was/is 🤔 quite, big headed , by the time of Sxos, you couldn’t use his tool/shop on atmosphere without headaches).

Use DBI, as for me., one of the best installer.

Reactions: mikefor20

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Tinfoil sucks. You don't need ut. Use DBI. You can start fresh if you want.
Make sure your sig patches are up-to-date.

This will work
https://rentry.co/EristaEmuNAND

If you read above or the tutorial I told you to read,you would know what those partitions are for.

I don't mind helping but I'm not going to help you be lazy and explain everything to you. It's all just a click or Google search away. Try to educate yourself.

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Humm. deleted posts, I’m curious, because we talked about a Dev ?
Who intentionally “bridged “ his work so only Sxos users could use it ? 🤔
Money is always a “cancer” 😓.

But I do agree, as the Dev of this app, he can do what he wants with it.

I just don’t agree with his “moral “.

No offence tho, I honestly think that GBATemp is a great place where we can share opinions (excluding trolls 🙄😂).

I’ve been on hacking scenes since the Commodore 64 , with 5,4 “ floppy disk, so I know the “feeling “. 😉

Last edited by Maupiti,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No offence tho, I honestly think that GBATemp is a great place where we can share opinions (excluding trolls 🙄😂).
It was that same troll again and my response to the troll. I wish it would scurry back under it's bridge and stay there. Tinfoil sucks. It's geared toward piracy, has sx specific features and contains hate speech. We don't support it here because of the "shops" as piracy is against the rules and jeopardizes the entire Temp. So tired of the trolls.

I’ve been on hacking scenes since the Commodore 64 , with 5,4 “ floppy disk, so I know the “feeling “. 😉
C64! Me too! I was a kid. Then the Amiga lol wow. Blast from the past.

• Love

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It was that same troll again and my response to the troll. I wish it would scurry back under it's bridge and stay there. Tinfoil sucks. It's geared toward piracy, has sx specific features and contains hate speech. We don't support it here because of the "shops" as piracy is against the rules and jeopardizes the entire Temp. So tired of the trolls.

C64! Me too! I was a kid. Then the Amiga lol wow. Blast from the past.
My first computer as a kid was a TI 99 (programming on basic and storing on a
cassette player 😂, then C64 and also as you, Amiga and WHAOO 3,5 “ drives 😱
And lot of RAM 😂.

And , yeah, as you say , Blast from the past 🙄 (first time I putted my hands on a computer it was a TRS80, then Apple II at school).

TO THE MODOS : sorry for the off topic, just good to remind old times sometimes, with people understanding… 😉

And about Tinfoil, the arguments you developed are exactly the reasons why I never recommended it, even if I must admit, I used it at the very beginning of switch hacking.

Last edited by Maupiti,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head