Homebrew EmuNand CFW Removal?

That1LoserGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I use the "Uninstalling CFW" section of Plailect's guide to remove cfw from the my emunand as long as I boot into emunand instead of sysnand during the process?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What are you trying to do??

The real modification on a 3DS is B9S. This is installed into FIRM0 and FIRM1 partitions on the NAND chip.
Once the modification is done, B9S will attempt to load boot.firm from SD (and from CTRNAND if unsuccessful on SD). That is usually Luma3DS (could be other another CFW as well or GodMode9...).

EmuNAND, means redirecting the NAND read/write commands from actual NAND to some SD partition, requires the OS to be patched by the CFW. Said CFW is no installed to the EmuNAND (and if you remove B9S, this will disable any EmuNAND redirection).

Reactions: CoolMe

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I want to install native_firm to the firm0 and firm1 partition of the emunand
native firm is still going to render emunand useless even if that was remotely possible. cfw reads non signed code which there is no proper signer asides from ninty themselves which they arent ever going to give out.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I want to install native_firm to the firm0 and firm1 partition of the emunand
Didn't try (yet), but I believe the firm partitions of EmuNAND aren't used at all.

Using EmuNAND requires patches to the official firmware (unless Nintendo would be so nice to include the functionality with an update). Please do not play around with a CFW 3DS while not having Luma3DS loaded. That will do no good.

Reactions: CoolMe

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Writing NATIVE_FIRM to emuNAND partitions indeed does absolutely nothing. Luma will load the NATIVE_FIRM title from that emuNAND instead. And yes, emuNAND only works as long as you are running Luma3DS.

To be honest, get rid of emuNAND. It's useless except for testing or if you want different region firmwares on one 3DS.

That1LoserGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Writing NATIVE_FIRM to emuNAND partitions indeed does absolutely nothing. Luma will load the NATIVE_FIRM title from that emuNAND instead. And yes, emuNAND only works as long as you are running Luma3DS.

To be honest, get rid of emuNAND. It's useless except for testing or if you want different region firmwares on one 3DS.
Even if it does nothing, how do i change the firm0 and firm1 of the emunand?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Even if it does nothing, how do i change the firm0 and firm1 of the emunand?
GodMode9 can inject arbitrary data into the FIRM partitions. You can also hex-edit the RAW data.
The question here is: Why? I wouldn't know of any effect.

And as a friendly warning: If you, for whatever reason, choose to do such things on SysNAND, have a full backup and an ntrboot cart ready. The linked thread shows what :!: will :!: happen if you play around with SysNAND Virtual. If GodMode9 turns the screen red and demands input of a random dpad sequence, this means you should probably stop what you are doing.

Reactions: ghjfdtg

That1LoserGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GodMode9 can inject arbitrary data into the FIRM partitions. You can also hex-edit the RAW data.
The question here is: Why? I wouldn't know of any effect.

And as a friendly warning: If you, for whatever reason, choose to do such things on SysNAND, have a full backup and an ntrboot cart ready. The linked thread shows what :!: will :!: happen if you play around with SysNAND Virtual. If GodMode9 turns the screen red and demands input of a random dpad sequence, this means you should probably stop what you are doing.
Well are the firm partions stored in a specific place on the nand or are they separate partions entirely? (I ask because gm9 doesnt give me the option to inject firm files into emunand)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well are the firm partions stored in a specific place on the nand or are they separate partions entirely? (I ask because gm9 doesnt give me the option to inject firm files into emunand)
:cry:
GodMode9 doesn't offer an easy option to inject something there... because it has no effect.
The program will, however, not disobey and allow you to manually copy something into EmuNAND Virtual FIRM partitions. I didn't provide screenshots on this... because it has no effect.

Another example. My laptop UEFI is stupid. Really stupid. It will boot from the first (what it detects first) internal HDD/SSD. No option to change boot order. Garbage.
No matter what I write on the second HDD/SSD, the computer will not boot from it.
The EmuNAND FIRM partitions on the 3DS are just like the second SSD in my laptop: Can be accessed after something booted. But it won't boot from there.

That1LoserGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, so your saying that even if I inject native.firm into my emunand firm partions it wont matter because emunand firm partions are completely ignored even while booting emunand?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol