Emulation-Station DE frontend is now available on Android devices

198-1984019_emulationstation-emulation-station-logo.jpg

Emulation-Station is a frontend available on various platforms, which acts as an organized launcher for all your games. Most notably, it's used as a low-power frontend for Raspberry Pi emulation boxes, or as one of the primary ways to access retro game backups on the Steam Deck and other handheld devices. As of now, Emulation-Station is usable on more than just computers, as the developers have added Android to its list of available platforms.

Emulation-Station DE has been released onto the Amazon Appstore, with plans for a Google Play release eventually, though according to the developers, Google has not allowed the app onto the store thus far. The app costs $5.39 USD, and once purchased, allows you to organize, theme, and display your game collections on your phone, tablet, or Android gaming device. It supports over 120 different game platforms, including RetroArch. By using scrapers, Emulation-Station can display boxarts, information, and screenshots for your games, adding a more unified and organized way to access your game library on the platform.

Documentation on the Android version is available to read on GitLab, while the app can be gotten from Amazon's Android appstore.

:arrow: Discussion Thread

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is okay but I’ll stick to console launcher it’s been working for me for over a year. If it isn’t broke don’t fix it

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
honestly, the best frontend. i tried many but nothing compares, nothing compares to youuuu.
Post automatically merged:

So I guess this has a Linux version then?
i have been using it on steam deck if that counts.

Isn't RetroArch also a frontend? So this is a frontend to a frontend? How does that even work. Don't you still end up having to configure RetroArch?
retroarch has cores and a frontend. it works by using just cores part not the frontend part of RA loaded through ES-DE which is only a frontend.

All i was trying to say is that there's some fake versions of ESDE ON Amazon, as mentioned by the dev.
View attachment 421948
why on earth would someone with an android use other stores when there is official safe play store...?

This is okay but I’ll stick to console launcher it’s been working for me for over a year. If it isn’t broke don’t fix it
console launcher??
also this is not a fix its an option and it works as well.

advantages/comparison to daijisho?

as for the price complainers, i think they've earned some level of money in any case.
daijisho sucks. thats the comparison.

Last edited by Metoroid0,

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While it doesn't speak to the Android version, EmulationStation's been actively worked on for over a decade. I think it's acceptable to trust that they'll continue working on the Android version. Plus, the developers have offered the desktop version for years for free, when they didn't have to. They've been instrumental in RetroPie units and for the Deck. I think a special Android port is worth spending a little on--it doesn't come across as predatory, it seems to be a pet project, and a way for the devs to get some money for their years of work, which is more than fair.
But why is it ok for an app to be free on pc and then suddenly behind a paywall when it comes to android or ios? What makes these OSes ok acceptable to charge for something when it was free for over a decade?

• Angry
Reactions: ldeveraux

weestuarty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Because it is a platform where independant hobbyist developers can fund their projects easily and because android apps tend to need much more maintenance than on other OS because google constantly changes things regarding permissions or security features. I think a one time payment for something you have used on pc for years to keep a project alive is a fair thing, providing its a fair price and has access to future updates

Trojaner

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
ES was ok ... except for the many Srapper Probs. Almost every time the Scrapper was fucked when testing. Has it now finally EmuMovies Support? Last Tested the PC version (Windows) 2 month ago and the Srapper was still the biggest prob with ES.

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
i cant purchase from amazon, my country is restricted and while i want to try it i am unable to find the apk file in the usual places . it may bring new life to my gpd xp :)

Bobsy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Android Apps that you buy on Amazon need the Amazon App constantly running in the background, iirc. Is that still the case here?

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been using Emulation Station since modding my PSC back in 2019 using the "Mod My Classic" method when BleemSync! transitioned to Project Eris (which I still use today 😁)... It's one of the best customizable frontends for emulators on the market. I wasn't excepting to see it come to PC last year so to see it ported to Android was a welcome surprise.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BunnyPinkie, Like Dinoh said, maybe PM a supervisor to help out.