Emulation-Station DE frontend is now available on Android devices

198-1984019_emulationstation-emulation-station-logo.jpg

Emulation-Station is a frontend available on various platforms, which acts as an organized launcher for all your games. Most notably, it's used as a low-power frontend for Raspberry Pi emulation boxes, or as one of the primary ways to access retro game backups on the Steam Deck and other handheld devices. As of now, Emulation-Station is usable on more than just computers, as the developers have added Android to its list of available platforms.

Emulation-Station DE has been released onto the Amazon Appstore, with plans for a Google Play release eventually, though according to the developers, Google has not allowed the app onto the store thus far. The app costs $5.39 USD, and once purchased, allows you to organize, theme, and display your game collections on your phone, tablet, or Android gaming device. It supports over 120 different game platforms, including RetroArch. By using scrapers, Emulation-Station can display boxarts, information, and screenshots for your games, adding a more unified and organized way to access your game library on the platform.

Documentation on the Android version is available to read on GitLab, while the app can be gotten from Amazon's Android appstore.

:arrow: Discussion Thread

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a friendly reminder there's some fakers with malware out there, only buy the real deal!
i think alot of people are probably used to emulation station being packaged as a free open source project like it used to be. eventually all good things come to an end though and now the free stuff costs money

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
It'll have the APK released on those APK sites soon enough. Should be free to begin with, Emulation Station has never cost money before... And I'm certainly not gonna start paying for it now.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll have the APK released on those APK sites soon enough. Should be free to begin with, Emulation Station has never cost money before... And I'm certainly not gonna start paying for it now.
All though I'm all in favor of side loading APKs $5 really isn't all that bad for lifelong updates, looking at the playstore some are charging $5 just for GBA emulation . I see nothing bad about a dev trying to earn some income on a ease of use all in one emulation station. Plus some of those side loaded APKs are never stable enough.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
advantages/comparison to daijisho?

as for the price complainers, i think they've earned some level of money in any case.
The cost of a kids meal though? Guess my kids will go hungry tonight. :rofl2:

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
All though I'm all in favor of side loading APKs $5 really isn't all that bad for lifelong updates, looking at the playstore some are charging $5 just for GBA emulation . I see nothing bad about a dev trying to earn some income on a ease of use all in one emulation station. Plus some of those side loaded APKs are never stable enough.
Problem with this is, I'll buy an app *thinking* I'll get lifetime updates, but the developers usually abandon it shortly after, or get greedy and switch to a subscription-based version going forward. So I'm tired of getting shafted and am VERY selective with the apps I buy.

Reactions: YuseiFD

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Emulation-Station is a frontend available on various platforms, which acts as an organized launcher for all your games. Most notably, it's used as a low-power frontend for Raspberry Pi emulation boxes, or as one of the primary ways to access retro game backups on the Steam Deck and other handheld devices. As of now, Emulation-Station is usable on more than just computers, as the developers have added Android to its list of available platforms.

Emulation-Station DE has been released onto the Amazon Appstore, with plans for a Google Play release eventually, though according to the developers, Google has not allowed the app onto the store thus far. The app costs $5.39 USD, and once purchased, allows you to organize, theme, and display your game collections on your phone, tablet, or Android gaming device. It supports over 120 different game platforms, including RetroArch. By using scrapers, Emulation-Station can display boxarts, information, and screenshots for your games, adding a more unified and organized way to access your game library on the platform.

Documentation on the Android version is available to read on GitLab, while the app can be gotten from Amazon's Android appstore.

:arrow: Discussion Thread
Wow I forgot about EmulationStation. This used to be used rather heavily in the past but kinda died out for awhile.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem with this is, I'll buy an app *thinking* I'll get lifetime updates, but the developers usually abandon it shortly after, or get greedy and switch to a subscription-based version going forward. So I'm tired of getting shafted and am VERY selective with the apps I buy.
We' ll have to wait and see what they do. I'm sure you know the right sites for APKs but like others have said not everyone does. I've been sideloading for years and even had an instance where I wasn't paying attention and got hit with a virus. Happens to the best of us. In the meantime I'm in favor of just sending the $5 and if they switch to subscription based you can always turn it off in the playstore pretty easily. I'm hoping this is available in Android TV though for shield. If not guess I'll have to risk a virus. 🤣

Reactions: krakenx

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
but the developers usually abandon it shortly after
While it doesn't speak to the Android version, EmulationStation's been actively worked on for over a decade. I think it's acceptable to trust that they'll continue working on the Android version. Plus, the developers have offered the desktop version for years for free, when they didn't have to. They've been instrumental in RetroPie units and for the Deck. I think a special Android port is worth spending a little on--it doesn't come across as predatory, it seems to be a pet project, and a way for the devs to get some money for their years of work, which is more than fair.

Reactions: Citizen_404

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto