Homebrew Duyumania

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
That's too bad, most definitely NOT amateur, but i understand yer frustration with spending so much time and effort with no pay-off.

Dunno if it'd encourage you, but maybe you could get on board with an already established team. Duyumania would make a great resume.
There was a Wiiware released a bit ago by a small company called Nooo. The creative director, Nic Watt, has made a few posts here at the 'temp to encourage dirty pirates people to purchase the game. Food for thought.

In any case, thank you again for Duyumania =)

Reactions: 1 person

bloodliketheatla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks awesome! I'm gonna load it up and play it immediately. I have one question about using the hbmenu through supercard though. I read one post where it said it was included but the package I had came with two files: the .nds file and an instruction manual. Is the hbmenu one of those replacement menus for the supercard? I can't remember the names off the top of my head, but there are two very popular ones, and I have tried them both but did not like them enough to keep them.

Also, sorry about your problems with the publishers. You should check carefully the wording of the emails you sent back and forth. If they promised in an email to you that they would definitely publish the game that IS, most likely, a contract. Depends on everything you had told each other, but in the end it may or may not be worth it to contact a lawyer. Probably more trouble than it is worth depending on the size of the companies you were dealing with and how much money you have to proceed. But if you could show that a contract existed and you reasonably relied on it to the point that you spent additional time and money developing it, you could possible get some money from them.

Anyway, thanks for releasing it as a homebrew so that everyone can enjoy it!

Rob3rr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
An enjoyable homebrew that could use a few physics tweaks, but is well polished and defiantly playable.

For the boss in the first world, are you meant to kill him in some way or just walk past him?

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hey, thank you all for the feedback.

By the way may I ask what did you used to make it? Devkitpro with some libraries or official kit?
I used Devkitpro + PAlib.

That would be the reason it wasn't published. Not only is PAlib frowned upon in the homebrew community official developers would just laugh at anyone who uses it. I don't want to sound rude but it needs to be said. Nintendo also requires you to use their SDK else they wont allow you to publish anything.

LeRodeur

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey, thank you all for the feedback.

By the way may I ask what did you used to make it? Devkitpro with some libraries or official kit?
I used Devkitpro + PAlib.

That would be the reason it wasn't published. Not only is PAlib frowned upon in the homebrew community official developers would just laugh at anyone who uses it. I don't want to sound rude but it needs to be said. Nintendo also requires you to use their SDK else they wont allow you to publish anything.
Read everything, nintendo sdk is hell expensive so before publishing or even get money to publish you need a sample, that's why he did it with palib

Cuesta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have one question about using the hbmenu through supercard though. I read one post where it said it was included but the package I had came with two files: the .nds file and an instruction manual. Is the hbmenu one of those replacement menus for the supercard?
No, it's just a launcher for the games, doesn't replace nothing.

For the boss in the first world, are you meant to kill him in some way or just walk past him?
Just walk past him to pick the red star.

@cuesta : maybe you can join the folks at http://headsoft.com.au :)
Who are this guys? looking at their website seems they made homebrews and more games.

I know, I have the TWL SDK (Nintendo DSi) and a Nintendo DSi Panda (developers only), and both things are only allowed to official dev companies. But the game started at PAlib and to you be able of running it I have to give you Duyumania compiled with devkitpro.

Anyway the game supposedly wasn't published cause it's not gonna make enough money, just that. Sadly (or not) videogames have no value (except the pricey retail) so it's difficult become a professional making a devaluated product.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
money and the greed of modern companies with their multi-million dollar projects is one reason why i have been such a proponent for the homebrew movement. it trickles down as well. you now see popular review websites and big gaming magazines being incredibly bias. these big games get reviews which focus strongly on the good points for 3 pages and include 1-2 sentences about the bad points. i've watched things like ocarina 3D, saints row the 3rd, and uncharted 3 get 10/10. while i don't want to start an argument in your thread, i do wish to make the comment that each of these games did nothing new and struggled to push something old in a new direction. i am curious why this type of criticism isn't widely practiced, could it be because it all comes down to money? perhaps i am just nostalgic for a time when gaming companies released games that were pure fun and not because they wanted the next big blockbuster.

-another world

Vinnymac

Trophies
Website
nds-roms.com
XP
Country
United States
Another World: I agree with most of what you're saying. However bashing Ocarina 3D, Saints Row the 3rd, and Uncharted 3 is a bad idea in my opinion. They didn't innovate sure. But everyone knows the sequels and remakes to great games sell themselves. Nobody had to advertise Ocarina 3D to get me to buy it. I bought it for pure nostalgia, and in reality the changes that were made, were not the reasons I purchased it. So I don't think this applies to everyone. And I think a lot of people look at sequels the same way. I see some games like Modern Warfare, and they are just rehashes of old content, but even worse so, because they are doing it over and over, and they aren't fine tuning anything. They are just rebadging graphics onto old content that I never found good in the first place. Now this might look like the same thing, but to me the Zelda series has built up a lot more credibility than COD over the years. I see Mario and Zelda games as staples of the gaming world.

(Example Modern Warfare 1,2,3 are exremely similar. Ocarina, Wind Waker, TP, and Skyward Sword are all VERY different games)

I know we all love innovative games also. I guess Portal, Heavy Rain, and I guess some could argue minecraft, even though I am not a fan. Those are very popular and unique video games. But I don't feel as if they copied anyone, and I feel like they worked really hard. But for me, Zelda deserves the purchase just as much as them, because I found Zelda to be a quality well rounded 10/10. But some games are also sequels and they do not deserve this 10/10. Guitar Heros, COD, and so much other stuff Activision has its hands on. Even EA. They love to remake games, but in the worst of ways. I hate the corporate rehashes we see, and then they complain they don't earn enough money, and make us pay to play, or multiplayer, or built-in dlc. It is all sorts of frustrating.

I am sorry, I am aimlessly ranting. Ignore me.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
10/10 on ocarina 3d is a nostalgic grade, in my opinion the game play feels dated compared to modern action-rpgs. 10/10 on sr3 must have come from someone who didn't realize they made the game extremely commercial and much to easy (like the GPS arrows, quick to invincibility leveling system, the fact that you can ignore the mini-events as they only get you useless territory, the "show all the secrets" option which can be purchased, etc?), i would argue the exact opposite of sr2. uncharted 3 with its forced story, button mashing fighting scenarios, the repetitive "giant" enemies that always attack the same way, etc, really didn't push the series at all. in fact it feels like a side project from a different development house. the multiplayer saved uncharted 3, but it no way deserves a 10/10.

10/10 means its perfect. it means it has faults so minor that they don't distract from the game play. if anything i think ocarina was an 8/10, and the others a 9/10.

my point was, none of the reviews i read on the "popular" sites said anything bad, or if they did it was 1-2 sentences compared to the 2 pages of positive praise. i purchased based on these reviews and ended up feeling like i didn't get my $60 worth.

-another world

dukemagus

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
looks like an excellent well polished game. I would suggest creating an original character instead of Santa, that may be the thing you need to get this published.

i second that... just don't give up, make your next project look more "unique" and try to publish it in places other than DS/3DS. some small games make excellent pc titles.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's a good game. I see no reason why Nintendo didn't let you publish the game.

I noticed a bug, santa fall if you put a block in front o other and walk by that

Cuesta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I noticed a bug, santa fall if you put a block in front o other and walk by that
It's not a bug, you can use it in your favor.

you should port this to android &/or iOS, than you can selll it at the price you want.
I second this. This would look and feel great on my iPhone

just don't give up, make your next project look more "unique" and try to publish it in places other than DS/3DS. some small games make excellent pc titles.

There won't be more games or port sorry, either not gonna make enough revenue to invest proper time.

T-Tudor

Trophies
XP
Country
Moldova
I have R4i-SDHC (http://r4i-sdhc.com/) and at level 1-8 when I touch on screen nothing happens. So I can't put any blocks. I'm using hbmenu. Here is the save file http://www.mediafire.com/?65rkl6ko6jo6581 . Can anyone pass for me this level?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol