ROM Hack Dumping Super Mario 3D Land Beta

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
But there isn't an app like that, I guess?

I've asked those two if they can help.

He has recently posted on assemblergames. I'm not sure if I should contact him or not.

I have asked yellows8 to ask if they can help (unless I have contacted them via something they don't read/own, that is).

I am happy to discuss how to dump this privately, as long as the dump is not private.
IIRC 3dsguy has the devkit and stuff, so you should ask him.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not familiar with 3DS dev equipment/software at all, so I'm not really able to make assumptions about what's up with hax running on top of it. I'm also not really familiar with the CTRCARD interface, so that could potentially be diferent too. afaik your best bet is to ask on assemblergames or maybe get in contact with yellows8 on irc (#3dsdev) since he would probably be able to help out somehow.
Good luck! I'm glad to see people wanting to publicly share betas this early in the console's life.

Hiccup

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks. I will try to contact yellows8 via #3dsdev irc as well.
I have already asked at assemblergames :P.

EDIT:
Update: 3dsguy can't help.

Last edited by Hiccup,

Hiccup

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I decided to post this here as well as the other place I have asked about this:
MKGirlism says:
"Anything between 0.17.x (4.x) and 0.24.x (9.x).
I can Upgrade and Downgrade to any Firmware of any Region, at any moment."

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
So apparently, it turned out that Ninjhax and Uncart work on Dev Units, as well as any 3DSX File I've Booted up.
Uncart recognised the Demo.

However, Uncart gets stuck here:
pre_1433707396__img_20150607_205840_1.jpg

Is there any reason for Uncart, to get stuck at exactly this point (I tried it twice)?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
So apparently, it turned out that Ninjhax and Uncart work on Dev Units, as well as any 3DSX File I've Booted up.
Uncart recognised the Demo.

However, Uncart gets stuck here:

Is there any reason for Uncart, to get stuck at exactly this point (I tried it twice)?
did it successfully dump *anything* to a file, maybe check it and see...........im not sure if maybe uncart tries to decrypt the rom as it goes which would mean its probably crashing as it actually reaches the first encrypted partition (i honestly dont know if it does, just a guess as its crashing so early on)..........if so it might have to be reworked to either work with dev keys, or just dump it still encrypted........kinda weird that the game is apparently about 700mb, seeing as retail is only 300mb or so, although i guess they might of just included uncompressed stuff......hope this can be figured out

EDIT1:
ok i guess it does
neobrain: getting the project started; on-the-fly decryption

EDIT2:
ok not that i have used uncart, but did you try the "encrypted" option described here
The user is prompted at the start of the program to press START or SELECT to choose between a decrypted or an encrypted dump.

if it works using that maybe open a issue on github and see if the developers of the program can help out and maybe add dev cart support......worth asking i guess

Last edited by gamesquest1,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
did it successfully dump *anything* to a file, maybe check it and see...........im not sure if maybe uncart tries to decrypt the rom as it goes which would mean its probably crashing as it actually reaches the first encrypted partition (i honestly dont know if it does, just a guess as its crashing so early on)..........if so it might have to be reworked to either work with dev keys, or just dump it still encrypted........kinda weird that the game is apparently about 700mb, seeing as retail is only 300mb or so, although i guess they might of just included uncompressed stuff......hope this can be figured out

EDIT1:
ok i guess it does

EDIT2:
ok not that i have used uncart, but did you try the "encrypted" option described here

if it works using that maybe open a issue on github and see if the developers of the program can help out and maybe add dev cart support......worth asking i guess
In this case that's probably what he wants, since the game has to be decrypted on the dev unit to be playable on regular units. Shouldn't uncart be using the dev keys already loaded into the 3DS write-only memory?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
In this case that's probably what he wants, since the game has to be decrypted on the dev unit to be playable on regular units. Shouldn't uncart be using the dev keys already loaded into the 3DS write-only memory?
no idea, its all pretty complicated, but uncart doesnt support the 7.x rom encryption(no im not suggesting dev carts use 7.x encryption, just pointing out that it seems to only allow 1 specific decryption format) so im guessing its hardcoded to use the standard 3DS encryption......now again im in no way an expert but i guess the dev machines might use a different keyslot for their cart encryption....or something else im missing.....i was just saying if he can dump the cart even in an encrypted format it at least means everything else should be working fine, then its just a matter of generating xorpads using the correct keyslot or whatever, i think the most important thing would be making sure a backup is made even if its encrypted, so then at least they know they aren't going to completely mess it up and trigger some obscure cart wiping command

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
No, I don't get prompted to press Start, but perhaps that's because I Downloaded pre-built Binaries from this Site?
But my guess would be, that Dev Cartridges are already Decrypted, and you can't Decrypt what's already Decrypted.

And really, I'm a she, not a he...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
No, I don't get prompted to press Start, but perhaps that's because I Downloaded pre-built Binaries from this Site?
But my guess would be, that Dev Cartridges are already Decrypted, and you can't Decrypt what's already Decrypted.

And really, I'm a she, not a he...
:lol:sorry i just call everyone "he" on t'internet, nope, im pretty sure they use dev encryption the same as the dev menu and stuff use that where in the leaked SDK....but again im not 100% sure, i haven't seen much dev stuff and info on it is pretty scarce except for the usual dev menu and stuff like that

neobrain

-
Trophies
XP
Country
FYI, if the "raw" dumping method in uncart doesn't work, the autodecrypting code path won't change anything about that. 7.x decryption support doesn't change anything about that.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
FYI, if the "raw" dumping method in uncart doesn't work, the autodecrypting code path won't change anything about that. 7.x decryption support doesn't change anything about that.
oh yeah i know that, i was just suggesting they check and see if raw dumping worked.....but i guess they are using an older build that i assume only did raw dumping, in which case its probably something in the cart communication stuff not being compatible with dev carts :(

neobrain

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Also, uhm..
23:43 <@yuriks> http://gbatemp.net/threads/dumping-super-mario-3d-land-beta.389806/page-2
23:43 <@yuriks> neobrain: I don't have a gbatemp account, can you post saying that it's very likely that uncart is reading corrupted data, since the total number of blocks is wrong
23:44 <@yuriks> for a 16 Gbit cart that should be 16 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024 / 8 / 512 = 0x400000 but he has that completely random number instead
23:44 <@yuriks> so reading the header failed, and thus the already dumbed data probably isn't usable either
23:47 <@yuriks> might be the same bug that was corrupting my dumps and which I worked around, or maybe dev carts have some special quirk

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
I did another attempt, with a newer Version of Uncart, and:

SD Card 1: It stopped somewhere in the Middle, saying I ran out of Space (4 GB SD Card), and I've got a 765 MB .3D0 ROM.
However, that ROM was corrupted, according to pretty much all 3DS ROM Tools, and a Hex Editor proved it.

SD Card 2: It stopped, once again, at 00190000, giving me no Errors (16 GB SD Card), and I ended up having a 0 Bytes .3D0 ROM.
I didn't even try to bother with this one, for obvious reasons.

palantine

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've never used Uncart before, but I'm looking through the source code and it looks like it prints out some data about the cart before dumping.

For example, main.c:95 we see:
Debug("Cart id is %08x", Cart_GetID());

Can you post this information? Perhaps it will give us insight into the state of Uncart before it begins dumping.

Thanks!

-palantine

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I did another attempt, with a newer Version of Uncart, and:

SD Card 1: It stopped somewhere in the Middle, saying I ran out of Space (4 GB SD Card), and I've got a 765 MB .3D0 ROM.
However, that ROM was corrupted, according to pretty much all 3DS ROM Tools, and a Hex Editor proved it.

SD Card 2: It stopped, once again, at 00190000, giving me no Errors (16 GB SD Card), and I ended up having a 0 Bytes .3D0 ROM.
I didn't even try to bother with this one, for obvious reasons.
How did the hex editor "prove" that the dump was corrupted?

Was it filled with FFs from beginning to end?

I ask because it's highly likely that any existing ROM tools aren't designed to work with dumps made from Dev units. So I don't think that the dump not being recognised by ROM tools is necessarily proof that the dump is corrupt.

ernilos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cart probably uses dev keys for encryption which is not the same keys that retail units use. So you won't be able to generate xorpads to decrypt a rom dumped from a dev cart. You have to do said xorpad generation on a dev unit. Assuming you can boot Gateway on one or one of the arm9 homebrews out there.
But as I remember dev keys were leaked a looooong time ago, before SDK got leaked, they were extracted from a .net application if I remember well

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
But as I remember dev keys were leaked a looooong time ago, before SDK got leaked, they were extracted from a .net application if I remember well

Could those keys be used to decrypt the CIAs from the SDK? I wonder how I would go about doing that. Of coarse googling has yet to find the dev keys. :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Roll them little snake eyes in
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: make up his mind dude