Hacking DSTT Firmware Mods - Anyone know how to?

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is interesting that you haven't been able to get Download Play working with YSMenu, I haven't had any problems with any of the games that I have tried with download play.

Hmmmm... *very* interesting. Perhaps there's a problem with ysmenu loading ROMS trimmed with... oh, for the life of me, I can't remember what it's called. BrianTokyo's tool - the one with the soft-core backgrounds.

The official DSTT kernel has absolutely no problems with download play from those trimmed roms.

I'll have to try again, with some untrimmed ones, then. And I'll update to the latest version of YSMenu while I'm at it - I'm maybe one or two behind by now. Thanks for that info.

Rhuarc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is interesting that you haven't been able to get Download Play working with YSMenu, I haven't had any problems with any of the games that I have tried with download play.

Hmmmm... *very* interesting. Perhaps there's a problem with ysmenu loading ROMS trimmed with... oh, for the life of me, I can't remember what it's called. BrianTokyo's tool - the one with the soft-core backgrounds.

The official DSTT kernel has absolutely no problems with download play from those trimmed roms.

I'll have to try again, with some untrimmed ones, then. And I'll update to the latest version of YSMenu while I'm at it - I'm maybe one or two behind by now. Thanks for that info.

This could be it. I am running nothing but untrimmed validated roms. The only loading problem I have had period was once or twice when I tried to run FF3 it would just stop loading before the opening video. This was happening outof the YSMenu, as soon as I went back to official it was fine again.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I haven't tried download play so I don't know if this will help in that regard, but make sure you have the latest version of YSMenu (currently 2008/02/15 02:15). It fixes more problems than are listed in the readme file.

-Bri

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I haven't tried download play so I don't know if this will help in that regard, but make sure you have the latest version of YSMenu (currently 2008/02/15 02:15). It fixes more problems than are listed in the readme file.

Latest version has been tried... and found wanting.

Official DSTT menu works fine with download play for trimmed roms, YSMenu appears to require them untrimmed. Bomberman Land Touch 2 worked fine as DL from latest YSMenu, Clubhouse Games trimmed with NDS Tokyo Trim failed (I have not yet tried an untrimmed Clubhouse Games, or Bomberman Land Touch 2 trimmed with various trimmers). This is with TTMenu 1.08, and the latest multi-lingual YSMenu with Loader 1.9 from 1.08, so clearly the same loader's being used. My guess would be that there's some difference between how TTMenu and YSMenu use that loader.

Rhuarc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent, thanks for the heads up on the update! Hopefully this will fix the download play issues that others were having. Does anyone have any contact with this person? The only reason I ever boot into the official menu any more is to change the brightness settings. If this got added I would be a happy man! LoL...

dudereno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New update. I'm gonna test this in conjunction with the new official firmware.

* History
+ 2008/03/20 01:15
- Brightness Setting in the ini file
- You can Disable File Deletion by ini
- Booting DS Firmware Menu Function

Download from the usual place.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does "Booting DS Firmware Menu Function" work as-is, or do you have to put the DS firmware onto the microSD card? If the latter, what do you have to name it?

-Bri

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dudereno said:
- You can Disable File Deletion by ini

Well, at least Yasu's listening to all us R4 users who wanted to disable that
laugh.gif

Okay, that pushes me a step further towards suggesting the DSTT to the great unwashed when they ask me about flashcarts (and, by extension, ask for a whole lot of handholding and something that works more or less just like the one their cousin got). That's almost pushed me far enough, WRT the R4.

Now, if Yasu's also managed to fix that DL Play issue for trimmed roms, I'm even closer.

(somewhat off-topic - had to shim a DSTT last night, mine - R4 is one screw, DSTT is glued shut
blink.gif
- that wasn't fun. Looking at stick-on options to replace the label with, like a piece of overhead transparency film, as a permanent external shim. Looks like that's the major impediment for me now, because I don't want to have to look at a FOAF's flashcart any more often than I absolutely have to)

QUOTE- Booting DS Firmware Menu Function

...what? Really? The option to be a download play recipient without taking the cart out? Cool!

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OK, so I tried this and indeed YSMenu will reboot to the DS menu -- sort of. Once in the DS menu, it will allow you to change settings and such, but it doesn't recognize that the DSTT is in slot1 (it thinks slot1 is empty), which means that you can't get back to YSMenu or TTMenu when you're done.

Note that you could always do this with older versions of YSMenu (and you can do it with TTMenu) by installing the NDS firmware as a .nds file on your card.

I'm very glad to see that Yasu is still updating YSMenu though. If he ever gets the download play fixed, GBA saves, and maybe adds better support for the stylus (maybe placing the file list on the touchscreen rather than on the top screen) it will be perfect!

-Bri

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I use TTMenu mostly, but do occasionally switch to YSMenu. My main problem with TTMenu is the sorting, so if my games get out of order I sometimes go into YSMenu to launch them.

BTW, someone posted a quick method of sorting the roms alphabetically, by cutting and pasting the games and saves to another folder on the microSD card, then cutting and pasting back to the "games" folder. It takes about 10 seconds to do and it works.

-Bri

doom5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bri said:
OK, so I tried this and indeed YSMenu will reboot to the DS menu -- sort of. Once in the DS menu, it will allow you to change settings and such, but it doesn't recognize that the DSTT is in slot1 (it thinks slot1 is empty), which means that you can't get back to YSMenu or TTMenu when you're done.

Note that you could always do this with older versions of YSMenu (and you can do it with TTMenu) by installing the NDS firmware as a .nds file on your card.

I'm very glad to see that Yasu is still updating YSMenu though. If he ever gets the download play fixed, GBA saves, and maybe adds better support for the stylus (maybe placing the file list on the touchscreen rather than on the top screen) it will be perfect!

-Bri

Putting the NDS firmware as .nds? How exactly does one get in game reset to work in YsMenu?

elgin3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I don't know how this forum drifted from its original topic or subject but I noticed that the skin I made before (Kingdom Hearts) doesn't show "WWW.NDSTT.COM" and "V1.##" when I use it instead of the defaultor other skins. The way I take it is because my pics have two layers, those parts get covered by the second layer. By my pics have two layers I mean, I copied a picture by cutting it using paint then I opened it's default counterpart and pasted it there. If you don't believe me try my skins yourself.
yaynds.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@elgin3: You're joking right? The "WWW.NDSTT.COM" and "V1.##" don't show up with your skin because you have a white border along the bottom of the top screen and the text of the "WWW.NDSTT.COM" and "V1.##" happen to also be white. Good one though.

BTW, the blue Kingdom Hearts skin that you linked to (which doesn't have a white border) shows the "WWW.NDSTT.COM" and "V1.##" at the bottom.

@doom5: To use soft reset with YSMenu, hilight the name of the game in the list on the top screen of YSMenu, and check the "Reset" option for that game on the lower screen. Then reset in-game by pressing A+B+X+Y+L+R all at the same time (same as for TTMenu).

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with... +1