OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Hey guys, can you give me some advice?

I found a deal near me of a DSi XL practically new, for €40.

I have a regular DSi, mostly working, except for the back camera, but I was considering the upgrade.

I'd like to ask if you guys think it's worh the investment, and specially if games look as good, better or worst on the XL model (I can see some pixelization on the 3DS XL model comparing to the regular one, for example and find the regular one to have a much prettier image, does this also happen in the DSi XL in comparison with regular DSi?).

Thanks in advance.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
From personnal experience, go for it.
It is cheap, XL models have a better hand holding feeling. The image is bigger, though you see pixels a bit more, but considering DS are low res, it isn't much annoying.

Reactions: pustal

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I remember playing more DS games on my DSi XL than my 3DS XL because it seems to look better on the DSi XL. The lack of GBA cart is the only downside I can think of but if you like to play DS games on a bigger screen, then I say go for it.

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For €40 and like new, I would buy it. Like Harsky says, the DS games do look visibly better on a DSi XL than on a 3DS XL. Reason is because the screen resolution on the DSi XL matches DS games and no scaling needs to be done. It is the same resolution(256x192) as your DSi but just with a bigger screen (4.2").

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Hey guys, can you give me some advice?

I found a deal near me of a DSi XL practically new, for €40.

I have a regular DSi, mostly working, except for the back camera, but I was considering the upgrade.

I'd like to ask if you guys think it's worh the investment, and specially if games look as good, better or worst on the XL model (I can see some pixelization on the 3DS XL model comparing to the regular one, for example and find the regular one to have a much prettier image, does this also happen in the DSi XL in comparison with regular DSi?).

Thanks in advance.
Well those pixels on the dsiXL will be just as big on the 3dsXL just clearer. That may make them appear larger since they're not 'blurred together'. Most people seem to prefer the clearer image though. I kind of prefer the pixely clear image because it gives a certain 'retro' charm.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well those pixels on the dsiXL will be just as big on the 3dsXL just clearer. That may make them appear larger since they're not 'blurred together'. Most people seem to prefer the clearer image though. I kind of prefer the pixely clear image because it gives a certain 'retro' charm.

The scaler in the 3DS is horrible, you either see things small (original size) or with a horrible scaler that is both blurry and makes some pixels distort and seem double pixel (oh, my eyes hurt when reading text).
I use 3DS XL for DS games, but it doesn't look exactly good. I would understand the charm of a DSi XL where no pixel distortion is visible, you just see all even identically shaped sharp pixels, which is great.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
The scaler in the 3DS is horrible, you either see things small (original size) or with a horrible scaler that is both blurry and makes some pixels distort and seem double pixel (oh, my eyes hurt when reading text).
I use 3DS XL for DS games, but it doesn't look exactly good. I would understand the charm of a DSi XL where no pixel distortion is visible, you just see all even identically shaped sharp pixels, which is great.
Its sounds like the dsiXL would be to your taste then. If I was to get into a DS game again, I would probably play it on my dsixl.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Thank you everyone, I took the deal and I'm pretty happy about it :). Here it is:
QzEVbzV.jpg
(the thingies in the screens are from the stickers)​
1W4LYtn.jpg
gU1nGaJ.jpg

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Excellent! Looks in mint condition :) Great aquisition :P

Thank you :)

But, maybe is it me, or there's a dead pixel in top screen? 2 pixels left from "camera", there's a black pixel :X

I haven't noticed it before, but it seems so in the picture. I turned it on again and the pixel is working, maybe it's a soon-to-be-dead pixel...

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you :)
I haven't noticed it before, but it seems so in the picture. I turned it on again and the pixel is working, maybe it's a soon-to-be-dead pixel...

Maybe is it some dust in the moment you took the picture?

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Hey, one dead pixel shouldn't be too bad right?
It's better than having a horrendously scratched bottom screen. (Like my DSi XL)

Yup, if it dies, I still think it was a good deal.

My bottom screen sticker is a bit scratched, but I'll probably buy a new one if I get too bothered by it. I think my local game store sell it for €0,50. I had a phone once where I also ruined the screen like that. After that I always buy stickers, unless is Gorilla Glass or alike.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock