Hacking DSi Mode

sergster1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah i was just wondering as the cyclo iEvo was recently released and i assume this has been enough time to reverse engineer the code it uses and make it work. (i mean it does have a cpu) Plus didnt the supercard team say that basically right after the iEvo was released dsi mode would become available?

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uncle FEFL said:
Aren't the "DSi Enhanced" games just gimmicks, anyway? They don't really matter.
not exactly.
faster CPU, more RAM and better wifi (at least that's what i read). pokemon b/w has a video chat feature, etc etc.
also DSi mode goes beyond DSi-enhanced games.
it's more about homebrew in DSi mode.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Shabutie78 said:

You don't really need DSi-mode homebrew when you have a 394mhz processor and 32mb RAM (which trumps 120mhz + 16mb).

I think DSi mode is best left to those who don't already have the extra hardware, rather than trying to force it on a card that doesn't use DS mode very effectively. Don't get me wrong, I think the DSTwo is great, but when it is in use, the DS turns into nothing more than a controller and screen, wifi is not used, hardware sprites or scaling are not used etc. I don't see any benefit of DSi mode buttons and screen.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
Shabutie78 said:

You don't really need DSi-mode homebrew when you have a 394mhz processor and 32mb RAM (which trumps 120mhz + 16mb).

I think DSi mode is best left to those who don't already have the extra hardware, rather than trying to force it on a card that doesn't use DS mode very effectively. Don't get me wrong, I think the DSTwo is great, but when it is in use, the DS turns into nothing more than a controller and screen, wifi is not used, hardware sprites or scaling are not used etc. I don't see any benefit of DSi mode buttons and screen.

because of the amount of possibilities with the camera mainly.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
spinal_cord said:
Did you mean iEvo?

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Wizzerzak said:
spinal_cord said:
Shabutie78 said:

because of the amount of possibilities with the camera mainly.

The DSTwo struggles to pass two 256x192 screens to the DS at a good rate, how do you expect if will do if it is trying to pass a 640x480 image back from the DS to the DSTwo at the same time?
Also, there is no camera code in libnds and it might take a while to get it there, apparently a lot of the arm7 code will have to be messed about. You can't use a camera if nobody knows how to do it.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tj_cool said:
spinal_cord said:
Did you mean iEvo?
No he meant DSTwo. He is saying how the DSTwo doesn't need DSi mode homebrew, because essentially the DSTwo doesn't use the actual DS hardware for running stuff, it does it on its own hardware and just uses the DSi hardware for display and controls, so DSi mode is unnecessary for that.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The DSi mode require another bootstrap. Mean, if sc team wish to add this mode on the dstwo, they have to make a dual bootstrap with 2 faked games like on iEvo.
This require a lot of space in the flash memory (flashcart's firmware). The dstwo only have a 2MB memory afaik and the ismm 512KB. The iEvo got a 8MB flash memory.
Could be a little tricky for them to add this feature.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    sp3off @ sp3off: @HiradeGirl Je eurgh. My bad, it's June 15th indeed.