DS rom hacks for wifi support?

OilFreak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS games released before the DSi are not compatable with modern internet encryption. Pretty much the only way to get them online nowdays is to use a hotspot to create an unsecured network. Yikes.
I just thought of the idea of rom hacks for these games that enable modern wifi over the DSi and 3DS. I thought it was a pretty good idea so I'm posting it here. We could even get hacks that automatically connect to Wiimifi

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Technically WEP could be used. Something you only turn on to use with the DS, possibly hidden SSID and mac filtering, maybe also messed with to restrict to locations you care about for the games, is by no means secure but would need a determined adversary rather than kiddy with a copy of Kali.

Anyway in DS mode it is hardware locked to WEP and no security. The only way you can do anything is to alter it to be a DSi mode game (naturally with extra hacks needed for the DSi or 3ds) and then give it the security options on top of it. To my knowledge this has never been done and is likely to be considerably harder than equivalents on older systems (various GB games have been tweaked to work in GBC mode, various NES mapper changes, SNES special chip conversions and such like having been done).

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought it was a pretty good idea so I'm posting it here.
And you seriously think that out of the hundreds of thousands of DS users out there, you're the first person to ever think of this? Of course it's not impossible, but if it was merely very difficult someone would have done it by now.

If you use a MAC whitelist with SSID broadcast disabled and don't leave the access point enabled longer than necessary, your risk is probably minimal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Might be messy but the flavor is worth the goo lol