Hacking Homebrew ROM Hack nesDS - Does a rom hack exist to play NES games multiplayer on DS

Woozles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The thought crossed my mind the other day, that NES had an amazing coop gaming experience. Possibly one of the best as at this time games were short and sweet. I just recently discovered modding the DS and was wondering. Has anyone made a hack/mod for nesDS or a NES rom to utilize the wifi capabilities of the DS to act as a second player on NES games?

If not what would this take, anyone interested in having this feature?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm confused, you want to play two player games with a nes emulator on ds, using two systems and direct wifi connection? I thought the homebrew emulator did that already. From what I remember. You load a game using a flashcart then you can remove it cause is stuck ram. Give it to another player and they load the game with the same flash cart and then wireless connect the systems together for multiplayer. That or maybe it was download play. My memory maybe fuzzy since Is been so long.

Or are you asking for a nes emulator for nintendo ds that connects to the internet to play games online with other players? As far as I know, no such emulator exist for DS. Very few console emulators let you play online and none of them for DS. Retroarch, fightcade, those with the built in netplay, old boy Kaillera. I don't think Retroarch is on NDS, so no netplay with that. Not even sure if 3DS retroarch has netplay, never tried netplay with it. :ninja:

Reactions: Woozles

Woozles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm asking for the first scenario, using two systems and direct wifi connection. I will have to your suggestion a try once i get a second DS lite to experiment with. This with the NesDS emulator that would be amazing if it works!

Also links to any documentation about this process are always appreciated :D tho no sweat if not.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, this video is what I was thinking of. Though I am sure you can use a single flashcart. Since the game is stored in the ram (Similar to download play games) you can swap carts with other players and load the games. Then just connect the systems together with wifi and play.

Reactions: Woozles

b2p1mp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i recently did this with NESds and DsiXL and DSi. It works great. Main problem is the screen size on DS. I used the same SD card on both systems. (one sd card only)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i recently did this with NESds and DsiXL and DSi. It works great. Main problem is the screen size on DS. I used the same SD card on both systems. (one sd card only)
Yeah, the screen size is a huge problem for this sort of thing. One screen has a screen resolution of 256X192. The 192 should be at least 224 to fit the size of a actual nes. Perhaps if you could use both screens to compensate... but then you'll be having a gap between them. 3DS screen has no problems with top screen being 400X240, able to contain pixel perfect scale for official NES virtual console games Along with Download play. :ninja:

Reactions: b2p1mp

Woozles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I can vouch that it works great and with only a single flashcart required. I recently did it 10 years ago for like a video or something. I tried Four Players Tennis and it seemed to work well.
@jurassicplayer Your a total legend! I watched that video last night. It totally works!

nesDS Multiplayer.jpg

Thanks for all the support, this is a great community! @Sonic Angel Knight @Roamin64

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol