DS Programming for Newbies!

Discussion in 'NDS - Tutorials' started by Foxi4, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Unfortunately, this is not possible. To my knowledge, each resource references one palette. There are a few ways around this problem - you could create a multi-layered background so that you can use more than one palette, you could over-write the palette in-between blanks or you could display your high-quality background as a raster instead.

Extended palettes refer to palettes external to the standard 256-colour [BG_PALETTE] one that refers to the whole screen, however each resource in tiled mode still refers to one 256 colours palette and going beyond that limit is quite the task.

Personally I found out that when converting resources, the decrease in quality highly depends on the software used. Do try Paint.Net and IrfanView - they're both pretty efficient at saving images with 8-bit palettes without a substantial decrease in quality. ;)

2. agentalexandre

agentalexandre Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Thanks for the help. I ended up using photoshop and using it to index the colours and then was able to save as an 8 bit bmp. Teaches me never to use mspaint again!

3. p3rand0r

p3rand0r Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2014
    Albania
    On the ⌨
    Well this is an awesome tutorial !
    im a little confident with java and i would like to learn more about c/c++ , i think this is the write place
    do you have any plans releasing a guide about 3ds homebrew for beginners ? :wub::shy:

4. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Ever since I became a reporter I had my hands full of work plus the 3DS currently lacks convenient libraries for developers, but if there will ever be a lib3ds and I'll have the right gear for the job, I'll definitely try to tackle it. :)

5. p3rand0r

p3rand0r Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2014
    Albania
    On the ⌨
    Thats nice to hear :)
    Im looking forward to it , keep the good job going ! :toot:

6. NicEXE

NicEXE GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2009
    Cyprus
    is there a project wizard working with Visual Studio 2013?

7. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Unfortunately no, but you can use 2010 freely. Alternatively, Programmer's Notepad 2 is also an option - it's really same difference what environment you use, VB2010 is just an example one.

8. NicEXE

NicEXE GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2009
    Cyprus
    I am getting a project creation failed error:
    [​IMG]

Here is the content of C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\vcprojects\Nintendo DS and GBA Project Wizard.vsz
    Code:
    VSWIZARD 7.0
    Wizard=VsWizard.VsWizardEngine.8.0

Param="WIZARD_NAME = Nintendo DS and GBA Project Wizard"
    Param="RELATIVE_PATH = VCWizards\AppWiz\Nintendo Game Console"
    Param="FALLBACK_LCID = 1033"

9. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Huh. To be honest, this has never happened to me, the wizard always worked fine for me, so I don't know where to even start helping you. If you want to get your feet wet stat, you could simply use the empty template provided with NFLib and start coding from there, you don't *really* need to create a VC project. Just use the blank main file and you should be fine, VC2010 is only used for the sake of keeping your project structurally sound in case it grows to some larger proportions, simple training can easily be done in Programmer's Notepad. If you're getting any error codes with the wizard, I suggest looking them up on Google - perhaps someone came across them before. You could also try re-installing the DS/GBA Project data. ;)

10. Ooka

Ooka Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for this Foxi, just know that your work has probably helped to create lots of new developers who otherwise never would have graced NDS development!

I personally am using what I learned to attempt integrating Webkit to develop a new menu for the DSTwo. :) It probably goes without saying that progress is non-existent currently. xD

Foxi4 likes this.
  11. CyberMick

CyberMick Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2015
    This tutorial worked great up for me up until using NITROFS, after this point was unable to test using NO$GBA.
    Anyone know of a work around for this?

Also, is there a template for using Visual Studio 2015 (Community Edition)?

12. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    So, I have a source code that has PAlib code. Because PAlib's outdated, how do I get rid of the code without causing errors?

13. Charles_Toone

Charles_Toone Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2016
    I am trying to build and the command line of the build is returning with error 255...
    Which in theory means it can't find the file path... what i don't understand is the file path is correct at least from what i can tell...

File Path:

C:\devKitPro\nflib\makefiles

14. Charles_Toone

Charles_Toone Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2016
    nevermind figure it out XD
    sorry for idiotic questioning based of my own reasoning not functioning right.. :S

15. OctoNezd

OctoNezd *insert some funny quote here*

Aug 11, 2016
    Russia
    Moscow
    VS 2015 doesnt work with this guide. It says after creating project:cant find default.js or default.vbs

16. OctoNezd

OctoNezd *insert some funny quote here*

Aug 11, 2016
    Russia
    Moscow
    And VS 2008 says error 255 on cmd.exe...
    Its time to launch VM with XP :P

17. polomint

polomint Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2010
    United States
    Thank you for this tutorial, I haven't quite read it all yet.
    I intend to port my Sokoban clone Bozxle from the ZX Spectrum to the NDS, and this tutorial seems to be the best way to do it, even though I have very little experience with c/c++, although I do write applications with C# and have done for many years, so it shouldn't be too much trouble to follow the tutorial.
    I'm currently compiling using VS2017 for NDS and I must admit that it seems to be working quite well.

Once again, thank you for the tutorial :D

18. amhsamie

amhsamie Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2017
    Canada
    nice thanks for posting this!

19. T3GZdev

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    how efficient is it to use c vs c++ when it comes to DS/DSi?