ds lite cfw/homebrew thread?

xmenfan2001

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't see a guide thread on here to hacking/installing cfw on a ds lite, so im wondering if there IS one at all? i see people talking about putting firmware onto flashcarts and things like that, but no explanation of what that entails, so im curious if someones already gone through the steps on here so i dont have to dig on google too much :P

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
There's not really anything that's practically CFW for DS Lite. There is technically a CFW in FlashMe, but it doesn't really do all that much especially these days.

For running homebrew the only really practical way is a flashcard, firmware on a flashcard is just the low level software stored on some flash chip on the cart. Usually this is only writable for updates if it's even writable at all, some also support ntrboot for hacking 3DS consoles, but beyond that there isn't really custom firmware for flashcards as there's just no reason for it.

Custom kernels – the menu and game running part of the flashcard – are a bit more of a thing, like anything DSTT based can run YSMenu and TWiLight Menu++ works on just about anything.

Tri-Z

Tri z
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flashme was originally when gba flashcarts were being used to play ds games. You needed what was called a passme device like nopassme or superpass which went into the ds cart slot and would make the ds read from the gba slot in ds mode. I think on The original superpass u had to also put a ds game into that and have it match the save size of the game u we’re trying to play off slot 2 flash cart to have its save file save to. It’s been a long time since so I dont remember too clearly, but flashme cfw was made to eliminate the need for the passme devices when gba flashcarts were all that were out to play ds games off of. After slot 1 ds flashcarts were made flashme kind of came obsolete, but it was kind of exciting flashing flashme onto your ds because you had to run the flashme rom and short out your ds to get it to install and had to hold the screw driver shorting it til progress reached 100%. You also had to make sure not to touch the sides in the tiny hole u stuck screw driver in or you could brick ur ds. You would take off the battery cover and there was an hole there to stick tiny screwdriver down to short out which made it tough to see the screen and hold it still so a mirror came in handy to see completion percentage. Often would use a tiny screwdriver and tape around the sides of it and just have a tiny part of the tip exposed. Most of the firmware you are seeing is like others have said and is for the actual flashcart and not the ds itself unless it is the 3ds being spoken of. Below is a pic of original superpass I just googled a took pic since don’t have mine around me to show
IMG_0226.png

Last edited by Tri-Z,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway