Homebrew DS(i) Mode hacking progress thread

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Will the loading time for SD loading ever improve for .nds files? Or is that basically a lost cause? Certain games with multi-screen transitions can take 3-4 seconds and it really slows the games to a halt.

Loading from SD will be almost certainly slower than loading from your flashcard.

What sort is it, anyway?

~Poke~

Trophies
XP
Country
Well afaik it should load all the game into the RAM, so that shouldn't be a problem so far...
Huh, is that the plan?
The DS has 4mb of RAM, the 3DS has 128mb and the n3ds has 256mb. 64mb is normally reserved for the OS, but I assume the DS-mode OS needs little or none of this?
256mb games do exist, so I suppose even the n3ds can't exclusively do this... (since the game needs working RAM too) but I guess it is practical for a lot of the smaller games.

EDIT: That said, I don't actually know if we can access the full RAM in TWL mode, since TWL probably limits it to the DSi's amount, right?

Last edited by ~Poke~,

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Huh, is that the plan?
The DS has 4mb of RAM, the 3DS has 128mb and the n3ds has 256mb. 64mb is normally reserved for the OS, but I assume the DS-mode OS needs little or none of this?
256mb games do exist, so I suppose even the n3ds can't exclusively do this... (since the game needs working RAM too) but I guess it is practical for a lot of the smaller games.

Only 16MB of that is available in TWL_FIRM. It remains to be seen if that limitation will be patched out.

Last edited by metroid maniac,
Reactions: ~Poke~

Fatalanus

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
So right now, if I understand well we should be able to load roms of maximum 128 MB, and this only if TWL FRIM limitation os patched?
Good bye Dragon Quest 9? xD

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, is that the plan?

EDIT: That said, I don't actually know if we can access the full RAM in TWL mode, since TWL probably limits it to the DSi's amount, right?
I don't think that's the plan.
Slot-1 reads will be redirected to SD by the ARM7 CPU, since that can access SD, and the ARM9 can't.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Please try to set BOOST_CPU = 0 into nds-bootstrap.ini.

Thanks a lot to you all for your feedback. It is good to see the compatibility list so much increased :)

That did the trick :D Now it is working perfectly with sound!

EDIT: Spin Master still has graphical bugs on NeoDS, but Neo Bomberman is working nice.

Last edited by AtlasFontaine,
Reactions: leerz

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So right now, if I understand well we should be able to load roms of maximum 128 MB, and this only if TWL FRIM limitation os patched?
Good bye Dragon Quest 9? xD
Yeah, no. Bedel is just talking out of their ass. The current plan as I understand it is to patch the DS mode firmware to make it automatically patch DS roms, which are hardcoded to load from and write to the cartridge, to instead read and write to SD, treating the SD card as if it was the cartridge. Loading the entire game into RAM is terribly inefficient, as you've seen, and would take the same patches anyways. If the ROMs were just loaded into RAM as-is, they would still try to write to the cartridge slot unless more RAM was wasted emulating Slot-1 and redirecting all write commands, which might not even be possible without completely reverse-engineering the DS mode firmware.

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will the loading time for SD loading ever improve for .nds files? Or is that basically a lost cause? Certain games with multi-screen transitions can take 3-4 seconds and it really slows the games to a halt.
Try formatting and setting the allocation size to a higher size.

Fatalanus

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Ok, thanks for the informations. It's hard sometimes to understand everything, that's why I ask simple questions.
Good luck, programmers. I know that it's a real pain to achieve, but I believe in you!!!

Reactions: smileyhead

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, no. Bedel is just talking out of their ass. The current plan as I understand it is to patch the DS mode firmware to make it automatically patch DS roms, which are hardcoded to load from and write to the cartridge, to instead read and write to SD, treating the SD card as if it was the cartridge. Loading the entire game into RAM is terribly inefficient, as you've seen, and would take the same patches anyways. If the ROMs were just loaded into RAM as-is, they would still try to write to the cartridge slot unless more RAM was wasted emulating Slot-1 and redirecting all write commands, which might not even be possible without completely reverse-engineering the DS mode firmware.

Both ARM7 and ARM9 can use main RAM.
Redirecting both ARM7 and ARM9 reads to an image in RAM seems to be require fewer patches than redirecting all ARM7 reads to the SD, and then also having ARM7 run a server which can fetch data from the SD and pass it to the ARM9 on request.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The current plan as I understand it is to patch the DS mode firmware to make it automatically patch DS roms, which are hardcoded to load from and write to the cartridge, to instead read and write to SD, treating the SD card as if it was the cartridge.
afaik, the DS/DSi mode firmware (TWL_FIRM) isn't being patched. nds-bootstrap's SD Engine that patches homebrew to read from SD will do the patching job.

Fatalanus

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
In other words, besides "compatibilty" considerations (you already said that it would not be 100% compatible at the beginning), it could be able to load all the roms, from 64Mb to 512 Mb? :)

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
afaik, the DS/DSi mode firmware (TWL_FIRM) isn't being patched. nds-bootstrap's SD Engine that patches homebrew to read from SD will do the patching job.

TWL_FIRM is being patched to let you do things like switch to NTR mode from TWL mode while keeping SD card access and 133MHz clockspeed.

There is also the DLDI patching done by nds-bootstrap.

In other words, besides "compatibilty" considerations (you already said that it would not be 100% compatible at the beginning), it could be able to load all the roms, from 64Mb to 512 Mb? :)

ROM size should have no bearing on compatibility.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet