DS #3662: Dokapon Journey (USA)

gacktgacktgackt

Trophies
Website
thedeskandchair.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Oh man this game is addictive.

After a shaky start, being coffined after only two turns, realised where I'd went wrong by not putting enough stat points into my HP. Restarted, gave myself 40HP and then off I set.

On week 13 now, level 30, have 1,500,000G, some of the best weapons and equipment available, 40 different towns owned giving me a net worth of around 3,500,000G.

Annoyingly though, even on normal difficulty, both of my CPU opponents are seemingly keeping up with me.

Hachibei

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
spiritofcat said:
Hachibei said:
This game is pretty fun, but the computer players (and the computer itself) are cruel as hell. Once the game gets going and you drop to last place, it's so hard to make it back up. Computer players will step all over you, and the CPU will seem like its plotting against you (ie: summoning monsters to your town, "rigging" fights, etc.) Anyone else feel this way?
That's how I felt the few times that I tried to play the Wii version.
With this DS one now though, I had that same experience the first time, but then started again and now I'm actually winning by quite a lot.
There's a bit of strategy required to do well.
Don't travel too far from the castle to begin with because the farther you go, the tougher the mosters are.
Aim to get to the weapon shop as soon as you can, and buy all the best gear.
Put plenty of points into HP, Attack and Defence. Magic and SP are not of much use at the start.
In fact, what do the Magic and SP stats do? And when do they become useful?

bug2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Hachibei said:
spiritofcat said:
Hachibei said:
This game is pretty fun, but the computer players (and the computer itself) are cruel as hell. Once the game gets going and you drop to last place, it's so hard to make it back up. Computer players will step all over you, and the CPU will seem like its plotting against you (ie: summoning monsters to your town, "rigging" fights, etc.) Anyone else feel this way?
That's how I felt the few times that I tried to play the Wii version.
With this DS one now though, I had that same experience the first time, but then started again and now I'm actually winning by quite a lot.
There's a bit of strategy required to do well.
Don't travel too far from the castle to begin with because the farther you go, the tougher the mosters are.
Aim to get to the weapon shop as soon as you can, and buy all the best gear.
Put plenty of points into HP, Attack and Defence. Magic and SP are not of much use at the start.
In fact, what do the Magic and SP stats do? And when do they become useful?
Magic makes your Magic attack more powerful. Useless when you have the all mighty swap. Which could really turn battles the other way around.
Speed is used for dodging, though I couldn't figure the dodging rate and how it works.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Djay187 said:
Have to say when I first started to play the game I thought what the hell is this, some RPG board game type thing. But once I got my head around what going on I actually found it strangely addictive. I think as someone said it's not going to win any awards but it is worth a go.

That pretty much sums up my initial reaction, too. I had wanted to check it out, but when first starting out with it, I wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to be doing. I'm really diggin' it now, but I must say, the AI is full of shit. I'm playing against three AI players set to Weak, and I'm in last place. I know I'm not that bad!
mad.gif

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
irpacynot said:
Djay187 said:
Have to say when I first started to play the game I thought what the hell is this, some RPG board game type thing. But once I got my head around what going on I actually found it strangely addictive. I think as someone said it's not going to win any awards but it is worth a go.

That pretty much sums up my initial reaction, too. I had wanted to check it out, but when first starting out with it, I wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to be doing. I'm really diggin' it now, but I must say, the AI is full of shit. I'm playing against three AI players set to Weak, and I'm in last place. I know I'm not that bad!
mad.gif

The first game I played I got robbed of my starting cash and had my starting weapon stolen by the CPU(on normal) most of that game I spent running around with my fist
laugh.gif
and all the cpus had like 500k or more in cash I couldn't take it anymore so I restarted and now i'm having fun stalking them with my 400HP or so character.....

Zane

Ace Wizard
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wow.. this game is annoyingly "hard" or i just have really bad luck.

So.. started a game, first turn i manage to move and win a fight, yay.

Second turn, the big monster boss thingy that hovers above a town, casts sleep on all the players, all the CPU players are in combat so they all die and ends up in coffins at the town.

I go "Phew" cus i wasn't in a fight... or so i thought.. guess what, next turn the frikkin boss guy summons me to him, and since i'm still asleep he wtfbbqpwn me to hell and back. Is it always like this, or is this some kind of worst case scenario?

Hachibei

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Zane said:
wow.. this game is annoyingly "hard" or i just have really bad luck.

So.. started a game, first turn i manage to move and win a fight, yay.

Second turn, the big monster boss thingy that hovers above a town, casts sleep on all the players, all the CPU players are in combat so they all die and ends up in coffins at the town.

I go "Phew" cus i wasn't in a fight... or so i thought.. guess what, next turn the frikkin boss guy summons me to him, and since i'm still asleep he wtfbbqpwn me to hell and back. Is it always like this, or is this some kind of worst case scenario?
That's not so bad, since everyone is dead and no one can get ahead of everyone else.

What's worse is getting to 1st place after 5-7 weeks (in game time), then losing a fight against a CPU player and having them strip you of your weapon, and then being unable to roll a number that lands you on a shop. Or maybe being forced by the King to "feel generous" and donating a town to the player who killed a boss monster, then having the next boss monster summon sub-boss monsters to the rest of your towns. The list goes on.

Blackiris

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This game seems really hard. I've never played any prequel to this game, and I've never even tried Mario Party games for more than once. And so, this is how I started.

I made a Mage character. I got the last turn. I was wondering why I couldn't move less than the number given to me. I tried auto mode. I had an encounter with a skeleton thing. I used a fire spell on it. It almost died. I had only 10 max HP. It hit me for 63.

...I have yet to learn, I guess. XD

BlackNeedle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
knl said:
so this isn't related to the GBA dokapon at all? :\

Well no, it's not. Only thing you could compare to the GBA game is the fighting system, where still each attack is weak against one certain defense.

About the hard CPUs: I've tried it, they're definately cheating. I had a CPU clost to a boss monster, which he was only able to reach with a number 5. I reset about ten times, and each time he got EXACTLY THE SAME number... and guess what, it was a 5! That I call unfair programming.
Cool thing I'm about Lv12, 1st place with about 250 000 cash
yay.gif
(playing with 2 "Normal" CPU).
~BlackNeedle

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Microsoft is worth 3.2 Trillion according to Google lol