Homebrew Dreamcast emu for Wii (Yes,it is happening!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lol this isnt going to get far, but i wish you more then the best of luck, even thought i wouldve loved to see you work more towards a dc emu on the OpenPandora

LufianGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I support this, but I know realistically the FPS on games will probably never be close enough to fullspeed to enjoy playing the games.

I hope I am proven wrong, but I doubt it. Good Luck!

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If arikado says he can do it, I believe he can do it... I personally can't think of many DC games beyond a handful I'd want to play, but hey.... (*activates DC fanboy shield*)

Hopefully this doesn't detract from the long awaited VB emulator
smile.gif

keine

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This man should write more tutorials. I personally feel Arikado is the friendliest dev in the Wii community to newbs and people who want to get into coding on the Wii. Just look at his awesome tale of porting over DSEMU.
You should do that again for this port, Arikado. It would teach alot to alot of people. *Writing your own DynaRec*, WOA, THAT, would be an awesome blog post, even if it was at a very superficial level.
Just a suggestion, as I really admire the work you have done. The tuts you've created so far.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arikado, you have amazed me time and time over with your projects. I am ever grateful for what you HAVE done, and now to hear DC on the Wii might be a reality... it would finally let me try the system I never got the chance to experience!

I am a bit skeptical on whether it will run at a playable speed or quality, but hell if you say it should be possible, I think you of all people would make it happen. And to hear that getting the interpreter to run at the speed it is shouldnt be possible is just 100x more positive reinforcement.

Arikado, my hat is off to you, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
happy.gif

B

Bladeforce

OArikadoO said:
Bladeforce:
I'm still saying that a full speed DS emulator on the Wii is going to happen. We've got a ton of homebrew and 2D games running at full speed. After Dancingninja finishes his GX 3D rendering engine (just talked to him about it yesterday -- he's putting a lot of time into it) 3D heavy games should finally run at speeds that aren't deathly slow.

And this is just with interpreter emulation (I was told by Wintermute, members of DeSmuME, and even Twiizers that the speeds we've accomplished via an interpreter shouldn't even be possible). Look at what happened to Wii64 and WiiSX when they switched from interpreter to dynarec emulation. We're planning on doing the same thing down the line. After Dancingninja is done with his stuff we'll finally give the emulator a proper GUI and then work on writing a dynarec.

This may take a while, but it's going to happen.

The Dreamcast might take even longer, but it's going to happen.

Enough talk. I'm off to work more on the Dreamcast emulator now ;P

I wish you all the best, having worked on emulators myself and looking into dreamcast specs I have serious doubts as to how you plan to emulate even with dynarec a system that is often more powerful than a PS2. As for WiiSX that is pretty good considering the Wii's power but as people seem to forget the biggest part of WiiSX is missing XA streaming which would take at least 20fps away from the emulation making it unplayable. I wish you the best but to everyone do not get your hopes up it will only lead to pestering the "creator" and he will then drop the project that I have to say is doomed from the beginning. There is a universe of difference going from "2D and homebrew running" to getting fully emulated a PS2 spec'd system.

Again I wish you all the best!!

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I wish you, Arikado, good luck and a great deal of patience.
Dreamcast is the best console ever for me (I still have mine working flawlessly).

People like to say "Impossible", but wan't NeoGeo emulation on DS impossible before NeoDS got released?

Faith. I wish mine was stronger, but just by having it, I'm ok.

For some unknown reasons, I'm tempted to call Arikado from now on Phineas... (I can even "imagine" you saying "I know whatcha we're gonna do today! We are going to emulate the greatest console ever on the most controversal console of the 'new' generation! Huh? Where's Perry?")

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Strange I have a DC gathering dust with boxes full of games and I never want to play it, neither do the kids but after seeing this pop up I'm really looking forward to using this emu one day.

I think we are in for a long wait but it should be well worth it imho.

Red Ire Lap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Agreed, very exciting.

Emulation and homebrew and such isnt about what 'can' be done or not trying something out because it's supposedly 'impossible'. The art of homebrew can't be quanitfied in such a way. Like giving an artist a blank canvas and telling him/her what can or can't be done with it. That's what homebrew is all about. Where one person sees a waste of time, another sees an opportunity for something great, even if it's just for the lowly little wii. Regardless if it can truely be done as advertised, I wish Arikado all the best. This is a huge undertaking and only time and hard work will determine the outcome, not naysayers.

Godspeed.

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Slimmmmmm said:
Strange I have a DC gathering dust with boxes full of games and I never want to play it, neither do the kids but after seeing this pop up I'm really looking forward to using this emu one day.

I feel the same way. I am looking forward to playing Crazy Taxi again...

killplaystation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I truly love the idea of dreamcast emulation, like iphone emulators, since the next Wii will likely be based on nearly identical hardware/software, then it'll be easy to get the port that barely works on the slow hardware to work on the next-gen.
Also, I still have my Dreamcast, which are all backup enabled out of the box, so game availability isn't a problem so *shrugs* till then

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
ChuckBartowski said:
powerfull Tails miles said:
it depends on if the wii has enough processing power to emulate the dreamcast.

really if the wii has troubles with a ps1 emu a dreamcast emu would result in something similar.

for now its probably impossible to emulate a dreamcast on a wii without crappy emulation making games imposable to play.

though someday in the future it may be possible.
Did you not read where he stated it is mathematically possible?
It will never happen. Don't forget that running from a dimension to another trough a black hole is also mathematically possible!

Pip'

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
petspeed said:
Slimmmmmm said:

I feel the same way. I am looking forward to playing Crazy Taxi again...
Get the NGC version.

Pip'

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pippin666 said:
It will never happen. Don't forget that running from a dimension to another trough a black hole is also mathematically possible!

Pip'

I take it you've been rather disappointed on your last few attempts jumping through a black hole then??
Let's just wait and see what the author comes up with before jumping to any conclusions! .....the Dreamcast was a rather simple machine in the same way the Gamecube/Wii is, whereas the PS1/N64 weren't quite that simple... and the Saturn, well that was a right mess, hence the reason I'd say full speed Dreamcast emulation on Wii is more a possibility than full speed Saturn.
I hope you'll be eating those words anyway....
wink.gif

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mightymuffy said:
Pippin666 said:

Pip'
wink.gif

Beware!!, he might give you the Pip'

B

Bladeforce

mightymuffy said:
Pippin666 said:

Pip'

I take it you've been rather disappointed on your last few attempts jumping through a black hole then??
Let's just wait and see what the author comes up with before jumping to any conclusions! .....the Dreamcast was a rather simple machine in the same way the Gamecube/Wii is, whereas the PS1/N64 weren't quite that simple... and the Saturn, well that was a right mess, hence the reason I'd say full speed Dreamcast emulation on Wii is more a possibility than full speed Saturn.
wink.gif

Please explain why it was a simple machine in detail please when the dreamcast had alone sound (45MHz Yamaha 32-bit RISC CPU @ 40MIPS) that was more powerful than a ps1! Thats before we get onto the Hitachi 128bit CPU and the NEC PowerVR 2 which is still a decent chipset even today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1