Homebrew Dreamcast emu for Wii (Yes,it is happening!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Bladeforce said:
that was more powerful than a ps1!
hurr_train.jpg

It is SEGA's second console AFTER the release of the PS1...

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
mightymuffy said:
Pippin666 said:
It will never happen. Don't forget that running from a dimension to another trough a black hole is also mathematically possible!

Pip'

I take it you've been rather disappointed on your last few attempts jumping through a black hole then??
Let's just wait and see what the author comes up with before jumping to any conclusions! .....the Dreamcast was a rather simple machine in the same way the Gamecube/Wii is, whereas the PS1/N64 weren't quite that simple... and the Saturn, well that was a right mess, hence the reason I'd say full speed Dreamcast emulation on Wii is more a possibility than full speed Saturn.
I hope you'll be eating those words anyway....
wink.gif
Don't get mii wrong, I hope to be proven wrong to.

Here is the Pip'

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ThatDudeWithTheFood said:
This will be good because of all the dreamcast homebrew

I do have to say the best NES emu I have ever used was on the DC... it had a version of cover flow like years ago lol

I still have my custom disk of it, I love that disk....

I wish the NES emu on the Wii was built the same way but meh once your in the game they play the same
smile.gif

StupidGamer1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love emulation, Gives the gamers a chance to try out games and titles we missed out on due to high price points. I would love to see neo geo.32x\Sega CD,Jaguar and 3do (ha ha, I know they aren't great systems but with some cool niche titles) and more. Wii is my most played system because of all the classic easily played by DVD loading and SD card reading ability. For this reason I love my little white box!

If arikado says this is possible. I believe him because he's a great coder and knows his way around the Wii processor better then most coders. I am extremely grateful for coders like these who dont' owe us nothing to bring excellent game content on the wii that is fun, accessible and easy to use. Thank you arikado and coders.

Full 2D DS games on wii,arikado O.O, Can't wait to one day rip my Castlevania DS games and play them on my television
happy.gif
Thank you!

B

Bladeforce

monkat said:
Bladeforce said:
that was more powerful than a ps1!
hurr_train.jpg

It is SEGA's second console AFTER the release of the PS1...

I was trying to comment on the fact that the dreamcast has hardware in it that is way more powerful than a ps1 and the wii struggles to emulate that even with the biggest part missing XA audio, not start a Sony fanboy thing here

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
OArikadoO said:
Oh, and before anyone says otherwise: Mathematically I've been shown that full speed emulation via a dynarec core is possible. In fact, there's even room to spare. drkIIRaziel really knows nulldce better than anyone else, so I trust him.

This is still a long way off though. A very long way.
Huh, wow. I hope so, that would be pretty cool.
smile.gif

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember when the N64 and PSX emulators were originally announced, and the general outcry was, "never gonna happen, too complicated, etc. etc." And look at those emulators now, sure they aren't perfect, but they're damn usable, (I use them all the time). i know this isn't the same, as it is a more powerful system we're looking at, and there was hope for an N64 emulator from the getgo due to the fact that such games are on the virtual console. Still back when they were announced, people (myself included) had no faith that we'd see those 2 emulators running even half as well as they do now.

So I guess my point is, just cuz it seems impossible doesn't mean it is, as proven before. Thus I have hope, I'm not expecting it any time soon, but I do have faith that this could happen.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pippin666 said:
ChuckBartowski said:
powerfull Tails miles said:
it depends on if the wii has enough processing power to emulate the dreamcast.

really if the wii has troubles with a ps1 emu a dreamcast emu would result in something similar.

for now its probably impossible to emulate a dreamcast on a wii without crappy emulation making games imposable to play.

though someday in the future it may be possible.
Did you not read where he stated it is mathematically possible?
It will never happen. Don't forget that running from a dimension to another trough a black hole is also mathematically possible!
Pip'

tecnically speaking if the wii can emulate all this consoles, mathematically:
NES + SNES + GB + GBC + GBA + Genesis + Master System + N64 + PSX + .....
it all comes up to:
8 bit + 16bit + 8bit + 8bit + 32bit + 16bit (with blast processor of course) + 8bit + 64bit + 32bit + a couple of more bits

Counting the amount of bits that the gamecube and wii support and including the bits variables of CIOS and the 4 wiimotes... we have at least 12548bit!!!
Like Atari said: “DO THE MATH".... (big facepalm)

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
NahuelDS said:
it all comes up to:
8 bit + 16bit + 8bit + 8bit + 32bit + 16bit (with blast processor of course) + 8bit + 64bit + 32bit + a couple of more bits

Counting the amount of bits that the gamecube and wii support and including the bits variables of CIOS and the 4 wiimotes... we have at least 12548bit!!!

The amount of bits isn't really an accurate representation of a processor. What matters more is architecture.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
NahuelDS said:
it all comes up to:

The amount of bits isn't really an accurate representation of a processor. What matters more is architecture.

you were absolutelly right... I was joking about that. The atari jaguar have 64 bit and it´s a piece of dogshit!

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bladeforce said:
I was trying to comment on the fact that the dreamcast has hardware in it that is way more powerful than a ps1 and the wii struggles to emulate that even with the biggest part missing XA audio, not start a Sony fanboy thing here

Yeah sorry lol, I missed half my point there.... monkat has said the magic word - architecture (I should've said it I know)... sure the Dreamcast is far more powerful (and going off topic here can we ditch the 'number of bits = higher machine power' thing here lads? It's ridiculous...) than the PS1, but the architecture was actually quite simple... it was one cleanly built little machine with no messy extras.... the PS1 basically had a built in SNES amongst it all, and Sega's earlier console the Saturn? Well what a mess that was: originally meant to be a simple 2D powerhouse until Sony unveiled the PS1... as you know Sega then clod in an extra processor et al to bump up the 3D capabilities..... Saturn was originally meant to be no more powerful for pushing out polygons than the 32X....
Even the N64 was a bit complicated.... using the one processor for most tasks - - basically the Dreamcast is more straightforward, and whilst I personally ain't convinced we'll see 100% on Wii either, who knows? Not-100% emus of PS1 or N64 aren't proof that this guy can't acheive what he's claiming is all I'm saying....

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
playing mvc2 on the wii would make me crap myself. I just think that since they can't get ds games to full or even half speed, dc is going to be extremely slow. I hope i'm wrong though.

nano351

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm, I was just wondering. Wouldn't it be easier to make a faster emulator if we make an app that converts the game's instructions to PPC instructions to run on the wii rather than doing this process via dynarec on the fly? Sure your files use to play on the wii wouldn't be compatible with other emulators but they'd run well on the wii at least (hopefully).

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
NahuelDS said:
you were absolutelly right... I was joking about that. The atari jaguar have 64 bit and it´s a piece of dogshit!
That kind of stuff doesn't really matter anyway, it's a terrible indication of what a system can do. I think the only reason that we used to hear about it so much in regards to video games is marketing.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
nano351 said:
Hm, I was just wondering. Wouldn't it be easier to make a faster emulator if we make an app that converts the game's instructions to PPC instructions to run on the wii rather than doing this process via dynarec on the fly? Sure your files use to play on the wii wouldn't be compatible with other emulators but they'd run well on the wii at least (hopefully).

First, don't forget that you are not only emulating a N64 CPU, you must still interpret I/O access done by that CPU and emulate the other chips (video, sound, etc), an emulator is nowhere as simple as "converting " a ROM into PPC instructions

Now, if you are talking about static recompilation against dynamic recompilation when emulating a CPU, i'm sure that if this was practical, they would have used it

Indeed, by doing that, you would have to ensure you covered ALL paths in the original code to be sure all instructions and all conditionned jump that can occur are covered, this is damn impossible with complex games like that. Imagine playing first through the whole game (even at maximal speed) each time you load a new game !

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
POWER STONE!

I cant wait for this Emulation to be released, i hope it works. i want to BELIEVE

i also really want a proper wiisx..

THANK YOU WISER NERDS

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
9th_Sage said:
NahuelDS said:
That kind of stuff doesn't really matter anyway, it's a terrible indication of what a system can do. I think the only reason that we used to hear about it so much in regards to video games is marketing.

Well back when the move from 8 to 16 and then 32 bit it did make some sort of difference, after that it was all down hill. (The biggest difference was access to more storage from 8-16 at 32 it was more about color depth I think. 3D was more of a product of Mhz.)

Marketing is responsible for some huge misconceptions in gaming.... My favorite one is that "Blast Processing" was a real thing beyond something in a commercial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.