Hacking Dragonboot for Atmosphere / generic rcm tools

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Even in the (very unlikely) eventuality that Atmosphere would stop to provide reboot_payload.bin, one could just put any payload in the atmosphere folder and rename it properly. So yeah, this will work forever. Good job, Corgano!

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made a modified version of dragonboot for atmosphere / generic RCM dongles. Dragonboot is a payload that loads a payload from SD card - so you'd never need to update the injector, just the SD card. I went one step further and changed the directory from \dragonboot\payload.bin to \atmosphere\reboot_payload.bin. This is the exact same as fusee-primary - however it comes in the atmosphere release and is always up to date. It also means if you have multiple switches running multiple versions of atmosphere (for some reason) the same payload will boot all of them. Completely version agnostic, as long as reboot_payload.bin is there.

TLDR: Put this on your dongle instead of fussee-primary, and you'll never need to update your dongle again

I made this for personal use but figured I'd share. Any recommendations or questions welcome.
You can now! I've taken the same approach as @Corgano and slim lined the payload. It simply boots sd:/atmosphere/reboot_payload.bin directly, I removed the splash screen and reduced the wait. Attached is a zip that contains both the BIN for use with other loaders as well as the UF2 file for those with actual DragonInjectors. Simply plug your DragonInjector into your computer and drag and drop the UF2 file into the drive that appears. The drive will disappear and re-appear again when the flashing is done. If you'd like to go back to original DragonInjector firmware you can download it here: https://github.com/jeromedontdev/DragonInjector-FW/releases/tag/DI_FW_1.00

These are amazing! Thank you! Ive been looking for a silent payload for the DI for a while and the reboot _paylod is awesome

I have a request. Could these be made to work with the "Optimized Dual Payload Mode" on the DragonInjector? The one where you hold the button when you're plugging it in to the Switch and it loads in an alternate payload?

This way we could point it to SD:/DI-ALT.bin for example and I could put another payload like ArgonNX or hekate? Even sx? I love that button. It works well.

Thanks!

Last edited by mikefor20,

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just an update to this. with the recent atmosphere 1.0.0 and newer releases fusee_primary no longer exists.

However this still just works perfectly. I havn't updated my dongle (or tegra RCM tool default on my pc, rekado automatic injecting payload) in over a year. It just fucking works.
Of course it works. reboot_payload.bin is still fusee :P

That's pretty good, though. Should work with hekate too if you configure it to overwrite reboot payload.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do we have the source code for your version @DocKlokMan ?
Apologies, I don't really come here very often. I booted up my old PC and did manage to find the sources. I've uploaded them here:
The slimline payload itself - https://github.com/AnalogMan151/DragonInjector-Dragonboot

The Arduino source with the original payload replace with the slimline payload - https://github.com/AnalogMan151/DragonInjector-FW

It's been a good while since I did this and it's the only thing I ever used Arduino IDE for so I don't really remember how the DragonBoot firmware was compiled. I recall needing to install Arduino IDE, installing the specific board file for the DragonBoot, then compiling the firmware into a bin and using the drag and drop script in the repo to convert that bin file into an uf2 if I recall. That's about all I can remember without just doing the whole project over again from scratch which I don't really have time for in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: binkinator

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I think you should also have an alternative version that can boot the hekate payload at /bootloader/update.bin for those who use hekate.

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hey I just tried this out and I got the message
"Error: missing warmboot.bin or secmon.bin. These are required!" why is this happening, I thought you just needed to put it on your RCMloader and that was it.

empithree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hey I just tried this out and I got the message
"Error: missing warmboot.bin or secmon.bin. These are required!" why is this happening, I thought you just needed to put it on your RCMloader and that was it.
check your atmosphere\reboot_payload.bin is it equivalent to the atmosphere version you're using

Crowla33R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, does this work on the R4S dongle which only accept UF2 files and by reboot_payload.bin do you mean payload.bin ?

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, does this work on the R4S dongle which only accept UF2 files and by reboot_payload.bin do you mean payload.bin ?

Reboot_payload.bin lives in the atmosphere folder. It's what Atmosphère uses to reboot. By default its fusee. Dragonboot points there because it should be up to date. Every Atmosphère release contains it.

This is the same. You can use every reboot_payload.bin. In my case, i have the Hekate payload in SD:/atmosphere/reboot_payload.bin

That's fine but then you'll need to remember to put it back everytime you update Atmosphère or not overwrite it Fusee is a better option as if some Atmosphère update breaks the payload it automatically will have a new one bundled. Hekate isn't nessecary unless you need the tools it contains. At that point i just use FastCFWswitch to load hekate from Atmosphère. Cleaner for noobs

Last edited by mikefor20,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Currently asked for mecha mote iinchou mm my best friend to be translated but I also want to ask...