xflash

Local Ninja
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
woohooo this some pretty sweet news man iv been waiting for something like this to happen hehe guess this means i don't have to fork over 6 thousand norwegian kroner to play a game i love yay

G

Gilrad

For those who don't know about the Dragon Quest series, they generally focus largely on an incredibly long gameplay experience and old school gameplay elements, and are usually quite challenging games.

It will be interesting to see how they will hold up those ideas in this one, which departs from the standard dragon quest formula considerably.

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've never heard of this series, but the graphics look VERY good for the DS.

Does it play like Final Fantasy? Looks like that's the case.

The fact that you haven't heard of it is most likely because the only Dragon Quest that's seen the light of day over here is DQ VIII on the PS2. If you have a PS2 you should really seek it out, it's fantastic, and because no-one's heard of it, it sells for cheap. It's sort of like FF, except with a bit of knowing humour thrown in (not Mario RPG levels of humour, but it's still there, making you smile).

Edit: Ignore the post below, that's talking about the US, I'm talking about Europe.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^Actually no.

They decided to match the Japanese and American titles as Dragon Quest.

Since the NES era it was Dragon WARRIOR here. The NES had 4 on them, and then you also got the GBC remixes of DW1+2 and DW3 towards the dawn of the GBA's release (hell DW3 came out just barely after.)

We just never got DW5 or 6 (both Super Famicom/SNES) games stateside.

Golds

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dragon warrior 1 on the nes was a great game
i played it over and over

(i want to say dragon warrior 2 or 3 was the first RPG to instate a game clock with a visible night and day, where you could only do stuff at night, shops were closed ect..)

edricks armor ftw!

this and ffxii for the ds, square loves the DS.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ff12rw/

GameJesus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is this going to be like design a character clothes face etc and weapons and wifi with friends and do quests together and such? If so that would be UNBELIEABLY AWESOME, i jsut want a good console style RPG with potential like WoW not as detailed but similar IS THAT TOO MUCH TO F#%^ING ASK FOR!

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
^^Actually no.

They decided to match the Japanese and American titles as Dragon Quest.

Since the NES era it was Dragon WARRIOR here. The NES had 4 on them, and then you also got the GBC remixes of DW1+2 and DW3 towards the dawn of the GBA's release (hell DW3 came out just barely after.)

We just never got DW5 or 6 (both Super Famicom/SNES) games stateside.

Actually, yes
nyanya.gif

Check the flags, look where me and Shaun are from. Over here (U.K. not U.S.), DQ VIII was the first DQ game to come here, we've never had any Dragon Warrior. Look on Wikipedia if you don't believe me.
lecture.gif

G

Gilrad

Is this going to be like design a character clothes face etc and weapons and wifi with friends and do quests together and such? If so that would be UNBELIEABLY AWESOME, i jsut want a good console style RPG with potential like WoW not as detailed but similar IS THAT TOO MUCH TO F#%^ING ASK FOR!

Not likely, considering they're going to treat this like an actual game in the series.

But that's not to say we can't hope for a robust multiplayer mode
smile.gif

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
After further reading, I don't know if they mean the 4 players can play over Wi-Fi Connection or just Local Wi-Fi...

More details:

* Developed by Factor 5.
* Not a turn-based menu RPG. All monsters appear on the field and you attack in real time.
* Up to 4 players.
* Don't have to stick with your party, can run to town to buy items while your buddies hang out in the fields and fight.
* Japanese release date: TBA 2007.
* No data exchange with the Wii.
* Will remain exclusive to the DS.

ugly_rose

Trophies
XP
Country
The DS is crying for more RPG titles and this genre is nowadays so popular in North America and Europe that I can guarantee by 99% that both continents WILL recieve this possible godsend of a game.

(But after the Japan release of course
rolleyes.gif
)

CCNaru

Warn-free Since 2005
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Yep, PSP can kiss his sorry ass goodbye in Japan. While DQ is a big thing in west, it`s not THAT big thing as I would imagine it is for japanese. Anyway, I`m going to dance a couple of happy dances today, just because of these news!

is there something wrong with you? DQ is the highest selling franchise in japan, period! :wtf:

Fusion Master

WOW Addict :0
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I haven't played any DQ before and my first FF was FFIII DS, how do they compare? FFIII rocked my world, well 32hrs of it anyway =)

DQ vs FF - same deal, different story?

Well FFIII was a less realistic Final Fantasy game in terms of graphics but the usual Playstation console versions of Final Fantasy games are a rather realistic RPG. Dragon Quest takes on the cartoon-like style of the Dragonball Z anime series but still a great story behind the games and DQVIII in particular had a great soundtrack.

Faint.

Hellios

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
oh god i'm torn apart...

on one hand, we have a game made by the awesome Level 5 (Dark Chronicle/Dark cloud2) and one the other we have the ugly character art by Toriyama (dragonball, but more importantly, Blue Dragon... yuck)

Tough choice...

speaking of DQ8, its a fun game if you have a HDLoader... if you're going to have it on a DVD you will loose your mind. There are load screens every couple of seconds, and the load times...oh the load times... (note that the eu release of DQ8 doesnt have the number 8, its just DQ:Journey something something)

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Probably discussed before but I'm interested in the whole, "two carts". I can't think of any games that is spread out on 2 carts when something like this is common amongst disc format.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, krustday krab